Recently purchased faulty car - advice appreciated

A-ron

RMS Regular
Recently I purchased a new car (ten years old) from a private dealer which came with a six month third party warranty (Autoguard). I've had the car two weeks and its already on its third fault.

First fault was a gearbox mount which I paid to fix myself as I wanted a quick fix. Second fault was a sensor/EIS costing £360 which I am now wrestling with the third party warranty company (dealer directed me to the warranty company he provided) to reimburse me and now I have recently had the car diagnosed as having a stretched timing chain which will cost roughly £8/900 to fix. If the warranty folk even agree to pay for the repair, the max they will cover is £750.

What rights do I have? Completely fed up with said car and appears it will only bring me heartache as we haven't got off on the best foot..

E4mon

RMS Regular
As above, reject the car. It's part of the Consumer Rights Act. But tell them ASAP you're rejecting it. You only have a month to get a full refund without any hassle. After that it gets tricky.

A-ron

RMS Regular
OP
A-ron
Did you purchase the car with finance from the dealer.

No, I paid cash..
As above, reject the car. It's part of the Consumer Rights Act. But tell them ASAP you're rejecting it. You only have a month to get a full refund without any hassle. After that it gets tricky.

By law must a trader refund if a car develops a fault after purchase?

E4mon

RMS Regular
Yes, I did it with a VXR Insignia last year that I bought from Hursts and got a full refund after about 3 weeks. But you need to tell them asap you're rejecting it. I'd put it in writing so you have a record of it.