Wanted: Record Engineers vice

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Starting to gather Parts for new workshop fit out.

I'm looking for a Record vice, if anyone has one they would part with I'd rather get one locally than trawl ebay.

0032D1C2-6BA7-4220-B7FD-1B5A313A5B26_zps41un6tos.jpg

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
We keep them in all sizes new. Not cheap however for a genuine record. What size you want?

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
We keep them in all sizes new. Not cheap however for a genuine record. What size you want?

No 25 6inch. I have a man can get me new trade + 10% but ideally looking a used one at more sensible monies.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have an original record 6" that I bought new a loooong time ago but not got fitted yet as I like the swivel base one that I have for rotating stuff around so I can hit stuff from different angles. Need to get my finger out and get the garage sorted ffs.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I have an original record 6" that I bought new a loooong time ago but not got fitted yet as I like the swivel base one that I have for rotating stuff around so I can hit stuff from different angles. Need to get my finger out and get the garage sorted ffs.

How much? Sounds like you've the horn for the swivel.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Sorry I gave the wrong impression it was for sale @IL, it's not. I just like a good vice and was telling myself off that I'm not using the one I have stashed. Hope you find one. (y)
Love to see the old ones restored, that No. 22 above is class, could do with new jaws though. 8-|

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Did someone just buy this? It ended as I tapped on the listing...

IMG_0717.PNG

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
The new ones aren't as good as the old ones

We have a new one in work and the jaw snapped. Wasn't even tightened that much. They are sending a new jaw under warrenty but some of the older ones have taken a lot more abuse and are fine

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I bought a restored old record 21 (I think - no quick slider) on eBay for £50 delivered!

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Just on the subject..

I still have an old one of these rescued from my old shed and it looks like I need the spring that pushes the jaws back apart when unwinding it (not 100% on how vices work tbh..)

Anyone able to get spares for these?

Attachments

• 20170130_164134.jpg
    20170130_164134.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 115

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's a rare one, cast steel as opposed to cast iron, tough as old boots. :cool:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The new ones aren't as good as the old ones

We have a new one in work and the jaw snapped. Wasn't even tightened that much. They are sending a new jaw under warrenty but some of the older ones have taken a lot more abuse and are fine

The old Record ones say "Made in England". The modern ones just say "Record" or "Irwin" and then just "England", which I suppose means they are based in England but the manufacturing is in the Far East.

I picked up a "made in England" one couple months back at that big monthly car boot sale in Coleraine for £30. Spotted the odd bargain among the usual acres of crap.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Just on the subject..

I still have an old one of these rescued from my old shed and it looks like I need the spring that pushes the jaws back apart when unwinding it (not 100% on how vices work tbh..)

Anyone able to get spares for these?

Maybe try these guys? record vice spares,record vice spares,SWIVEL BASES

And here's a thread about restoring one and the chap restoring it seems to come from here..
Record No.75 Vice resto - The Garage Journal Board
Record #74 "Auto-vice" - The Garage Journal Board

Last edited:

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
That's a rare one, cast steel as opposed to cast iron, tough as old boots. :cool:

Good to know - haven't broken it properly yet!

Maybe try these guys? record vice spares,record vice spares,SWIVEL BASES

And here's a thread about restoring one and the chap restoring it seems to come from here..
Record No.75 Vice resto - The Garage Journal Board
Record #74 "Auto-vice" - The Garage Journal Board

I gotta stop looking at those threads before I get bad thoughts of a restoration myself!

Cheers for the info, seems the spring mechanism isn't just a big spring but rather a retainer thingy. Well at least that's what it looks like in the second build thread. Will have to inspect it a bit further.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There's nothing bad about a restoration, don't think it would take too long unless you clean it with a toothbrush sized wire brush lol..
Nice vice you have there. (y)

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
To the guys that restored the vices. what paint did you use? i have a record number 5 that my father in law got me off a job site that needs a recon.(was going in the skip8o|)

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Just when yous are talking about Record vices, I recently brought this up from my grandad's workshop. Plan to restore it and fit it to my workbench. He had it for about 50 years, any way of dating it?
DSC_0333, 2.jpg
DSC_0335, 2.jpg
DSC_0338, 2.jpg

Seems to be a special edition... 'Made in Ngland'?? lol
DSC_0337, 2.jpg

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
That's a record 52 from 1948
One of the rarest record vices
These were first made at the same time Ecstasy first came on the scene so the "E" was banned for a six month period,hence its missing
Worth about £2000