recovery truck 3.5tonne
wud tha insurance for 1 of these be much dearer than a ford transit van
any answers b much appreciated

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
For personal use or for business?

Also note, the majority of 3.5ton recovery vans will be overweight with anything more than a rolling shell on them, rendering them pretty useless if your looking to transport a full car/van/jeep considering your insurance will be void if you are overweight. For that reason, we just used a trailer for moving the stripped out drift car, even though a wee 3.5ton Transit recovery body we looked at was built using aluminium and still would have exceeded the 3.5ton limit when loaded). Just something to think about...

a2b_recovery

Banned
Drives
recovery truck
recovery truck 3.5tonne
wud tha insurance for 1 of these be much dearer than a ford transit van
any answers b much appreciated

3.5 ton transit are pure crap as nicky said very easy to go over weight, they are usless for most jobs as to light, wouldnt have one about me to be honest

maccpower

OP
maccpower
Drives
bora/transit
for personal use boys tha weight factor wud only b a problem if u came into the vosa tramps lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
No, the weight factor comes into it when your overloaded on the road with insufficient brakes and suspension and causing a danger to everyone else.

Either buy something appropriate for the job like a 7.5ton lorry and do it right, or else don't do it at all.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
maccpower, can you tone down the txt tlk please as per forum rules?

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
for personal use boys tha weight factor wud only b a problem if u came into the vosa tramps lol

Your going to get a ton on legally anyway which covers you for small cars. A good aluminium body will allow near 1.5 ton I'm sure. Some of the real dear bodies on the ready made 3.5 tonners weigh well under 2ton kerb weight, allowing 1.6t+. Yeh they are as easy insured as any 3.5t flatbed, especially for own goods(cars).

Just remembered too, I think the new thing too is to have a twin rear axle 3.5t, as you can fall into axle over loading and the twin axle solves this. For me I would just plow on overloaded. Whats a tranny chassis cab if it's nots on it's arse at the back end. Enemy of the state, that's me. Bad boys for life.