RedTop Modifications?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

S_Gault

RMS Regular
all depends on budget.

I have 2 kits available for them- details on my site soon.

kit 1carb- 175bhp - 45DCOE carbs and other bits

Kit1inj- 180bhp- as above but including throttle bodies and proper managment.

above 2 kits are beneficial as can be tailored to suit any subsequent mods

Kit 3- 260bhp- RACE USE ONLY

Steven

Quikie

OP
Quikie
Drives
BMW 325iK
what price are the first two kits then and how much time is involved in doing all this?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
The best mods for redtops come from a company called SBD Developments www.sbdev.co.uk . Dont think you can do much better that their TP208 throttlebody kit. Ask yourself though is it worth spending all this money on the engine if its just gonna spin wheels? Maybe a diff is in order first. What cars the engine in?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
for the price of the tp290 you could have a complete car with way more power than that.
4got to say in last post that theres a guy from my direction called Roy Haslett preperations he has a rally named after him called the Roy Haslett Preperation stages (funnily enough). He ran redtops in his rally car for years and knows how to make them sing like Charlotte Church.
They say that the main question you gotta ask is the purpose of the car, what is practical for the purpose and also what is affordable? You could turbo it for cheap enough.

Quikie

OP
Quikie
Drives
BMW 325iK
its in a calibra... I am not looking massive increases in power just things that was give it a few extra hp and liven it up a bit more, it has superchip exhaust and filter so far and fulls the clock :laughing:

Quikie

OP
Quikie
Drives
BMW 325iK
RMS_CLK said:
for the price of the tp290 you could have a complete car with way more power than that.
4got to say in last post that theres a guy from my direction called Roy Haslett preperations he has a rally named after him called the Roy Haslett Preperation stages (funnily enough). He ran redtops in his rally car for years and knows how to make them sing like Charlotte Church.
They say that the main question you gotta ask is the purpose of the car, what is practical for the purpose and also what is affordable? You could turbo it for cheap enough.
Where do you know that fits turbos and for how much? Does this mean an engine strip down an rebuilt as in Pistons etc needing to be replaced??

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
instead of going through the hassle of getting a turbo kit, low compression pistons etc etc you might as well get an actual turbo lump from a vaux.......1k seems to be about the going rate and if wanted you can run it off the gearbox you have at the min

Fast_CAV

RMS Regular
Drives
548hp sr20
Venier Pulleys and get them set up By 777... U will notice alot of difference... U can buy them from smiths Eng in Cookstown For £160
If u feel adventurous Put a set of cams in there aswell along with a PBV... get it all setup at once...

Quikie

OP
Quikie
Drives
BMW 325iK
cams were on the list i think anyway but never thought of the pulleys, what about Managment systems, MBE??

Adam

RMS Regular
No point putting a turbo on it as the block doesnt have the same oilways for cooling that the propper C20LET (turbo engine) has.
It would be better just to get a turbo engine.

A manifold, decat and full system along with a STANDARD airbox will give the car a few more horsies.

If it has a cone filter then bin it.

It depends how much you want to spend as to how much you can get from it. SBD's kits do usually put out the power they quote unlike alot of other tuning firms. Only problem is that they are expensive.

Have a word with Stephen and see what he can do.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
The c20let block has no different oilways - why would it?

There are a number of things you will need to turbo the engine and I wouldnt try it yourself unless you have an intimate knowledge of turbocharger systems and the engine.
The best way to lower compression to fit a turbo is to fit low compression pistons, but at 600 quid a set i'd rather opt for a sandwich plate and two head gaskets. Then there are the turbo, oil feed and ignition and fuel requirements. It gets quite expensive to have it done right, but there are shortcuts you could take.
If your looking for something cheap that will give you better go I suggest an aftermarket manifold or throttle body - as this is the biggest restriction in the induction system. Then a head-port would also help and something I found works a treat on the redtops is to advance the inlet cam 3 degrees and retard the exhaust timing 4 - 5 degrees. For this you will need vernier pulleys and a aftermarket fourbranch.
It just depends on how much is in your buget and how far you want to take the tuning. :laughing:

Adam

RMS Regular
The LET head definitely has different oil ways than the XE. The block has an extra oil feed as well as far as I can remember.
Only going on what Ive seen on MIG as this question is asked a million times.

Anyway, back to the point, we both agree that its not worth putting a turbo on it.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
You said the block! I couldnt be sure about the head but I know that the block's galleries are indifferent. I didnt say it wasnt worth putting a turbo on it, I just said it would be expensive to go far with it, but apart from more cc's , forced induction is the most efficient way of increasing power.

Cess

RMS Staff
lol ... it will lower the compression ratio, though. It just won't stand prolonged abuse!

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
How do you think courtnay motorsport do it?
Yes if you pay the extra they will stick the pistons in, but for a normal turbo conversion they use the sandwich plate! They say that they find this reliable at even a bar of boost.
I also know of a certain nova sri that ran 1bar of boost using just two headgaskets (no sandwich plate) to lower the compression. That car ran for years with no bother and if you want to check that you can ask the guy who owns cartoyz - it was his.
You may or may not have seen the red rear engined turbo nova that was doughnutting at nutts corner one night. Any guess on how the compression was lowered? Thats right two headgaskets!
Dont get me wrong I know two headgaskets isnt a perfect set-up but for low boost budget applications its perfect. I use two headgaskets on my astra.
Back to my question - how many cars u turbo'd?

Adam

RMS Regular
Cool, what manifold and turbo did you use for that? Is that the 20NE engine?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Its a c20xe. Had a custom manifold made and used a garret t25 of a rover 220 coupe. The turbo **** itself though so im trying a nissan 200 turbo next so I dont have to change the manifold, but I dont expect it to last too long. Waitin for that guy marky to sell me some bits at the mo cause the oil feed is different and the compressor housing is different so i need bits of his 200. Eventually ill go for a cossie t3 hybrid.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.