Refurbing wheels- gloss or satin black??

davyk31

RMS Regular
Need to get the wheels on my runaround Mini Countryman refurbed. They are currently gloss black but have gone bad around the bolt Holes and centres.
Was thinking of going gloss black again to keep it original but now wondering about a satin black. Would the satin be any easier to look after as i have gloss black on both the Mini and Macan and they look dusty after a very short trip.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I think black wheels rarely suit a car and are hard to keep on top of. Maybe a grey would work better

pablo

RMS Moderator
its jsut the centres though right? split rim countryman wheels?

1593951815773.png

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Car is white with black roof.

No the wheels are not like the ones above as they are all gloss black. Do kinda agree that black wheels aren’t great but they do kinda suit some cars and a white countryman with silver wheels doesn’t look as “mean” so to speak. The 18” option does come in a dark satin anthracite which maybe is easier to keep

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Satin will be a bit more of a paint in the butt to keep clean, dirt and dust is able to cling to it easier that gloss. Goes for any colour, not just black.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
My satin black wheels look great when clean, the only problem is that's it a full time job to keep them clean.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Of those two choices I'd go gloss just from an ease of cleaning perspective.

KevM

RMS Regular
I’d go Satin.
Looks a bit classier than Gloss black, which tends to make the tyres look awful unless they are clean and slicked all the time

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I had mine done a few weeks ago in gloss. It ties in it with all the gloss trim. Last car had matt, never found them any harder to keep.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I am planning to get them ceramic coated once they are painted and will be kerb rash free so should always be kept looking in tip top condition.
Don’t think silver looks as good on the car with the white paint and black roof so it’s likely either gloss black again or something like Ferric Grey that Woodcutter suggested or a grey/anthracite. Hard to picture how that would look though

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Do like the idea of Ferric Grey for sure but wonder would it work right with the black roof?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I had gloss black wheels on my R, they looked great when they were just cleaned but were a nightmare to keep clean.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The photos are ruined by Photobucket, but it was @Deezer-D ’s 130i wheels that put me onto Ferric grey. I’ve had a few sets done since.