Reg change for MOT

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Unsure what to do so hoping someone here can help me out.

Bought a car last Monday which had an MOT booked for tomorrow. The MOT was booked on the cars original reg however when i bought the car, i transferred my personal reg on. I now have to take the car to get MOT’d tomorrow but the paperwork has the old reg on. Do i need to remove my personal plate and replace it with the old reg to get it through MOT or will they accept the car with a different reg on it? My insurance covers me for my personal reg but unsure how insurance will work if i remove that reg and put on a different plate, even if it is just for test purposes.

Any help would be appreciated!

A6Avant

RMS Regular
OP
A6Avant
Drives
A6 Avant
Called early this morning and spoke to someone who advised i needed to use the plates that matched the documentation and the details they had on the computer. Screwed the old plates on before i went to the test centre and took them back off when i got home

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Good to know , I avoided doing my transfer till after the MOT as I wasn't sure how it would work, but glad to have it confirmed 👍

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Maybe I'm missing something here...

You put your personal reg on a car via DVLA, which should effectively tell you to display the new reg immediately (if done online).

DVA have then advised you to display a reg that technically shouldn't be on the car anymore for the purpose of a MOT test?

Surely they could of ran it by the chassis number? Will that now update the records for the correct reg that should be on the car?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Called early this morning and spoke to someone who advised i needed to use the plates that matched the documentation and the details they had on the computer. Screwed the old plates on before i went to the test centre and took them back off when i got home
WTAF. Whoever you spoke too needs a boot in the balls!!

KevM

RMS Regular
We had a similar one to that.
We had to put the old cherished plate back on to a car that it had been removed off, to 'satisfy the MOT tester' at the time. The balls up it caused, was unreal. The cherished reg was on a different car, it messed up the MOT date on the car the reg was on and didnt show our car as having an MOT at all. We had to submit Chassis details and copies of the V5C to the DVTANI so that they could figure it all out and fix it.

Melt

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I can confirm 100% that you will fail if the plate does match that which it was booked under.

Mine failed tonight for exactly this.

IMG_20230403_202411__01.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
That's so ridiculous, more glad by the minute now that I left the transfer till the MOT was done and dusted.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
And you had the correct V5 with you? And no other faults?
No, the V5 had not been received in the mail yet as I only did the plate transfer a few days ago.

Yes there were other faults, but the plate was specifically listed as a fail point, and he faffed about for long enough at the start of the test discussing the plate with a colleague, then asked me why I had done a transfer, and then told me at the end he had no idea how to book a re-test given it was on the "incorrect" plates.