Reg transfer

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Bit of advice needed as to the best way to do this.

I have a car with a private plate on it, it’ll hopefully be sold later on.

I have my wife’s car that I’m potentially going to change/trade in for a new car for myself and I want the plate from my car to be put onto the new one,.. then sell mine after I get the deal sorted.

Anyone done something similar, with minimal annoyance?

My car will need a new plate to be sold anyway so just thinking should I do something like put the plate on retention and get the new reg for mine now, and then let the garage put the private plate on if I buy,?

is it easier to transfer from car to car vs retention to car?

Cheers
Ruairi

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
£80 to put on retention and your car will go back to it's original reg (but that reg can't be transfered of your car again)
As said all very simple and quick to do online. Once you get new car V5 you can transfer the plate off retention onto the car in seconds and new V5 usually arrives within a week.
If you go from car to car you'll have to pay £80 each time.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Just put it on retention

simple to do online
As I found out recently, not all regs can be done online. For 'reasons', some you have to do the old fashioned way, 6-8 week lead time by post due to covid atm. You can check if its going to work though on the DVLA site by starting the process and it will tell you straight away if its going to work.

Last edited:

Bryan

RMS Regular
I sent a paper application for retention away on the 14th of October not expecting anything back until the new year however everything arrived in the post today.

Reactions: Ben