Rejecting a used car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Picked up a car on Wednesday night from a dealer having previously only having a quick test drive in it.

Straight away felt the clutch was on the way out, when driving hard to get into 2nd and 3rd gear.

Friday morning drove to school and noticed loud creaking coming from the rear suspension and a rumble from the front over rough ground.

Now today there is also a grinding from the front brakes.

Don't feel happy putting my family in the car and by what I have looked up I can reject the car within 30 days under the consumer rights act.

Anyone know if that is correct?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What's the dealer said about the faults? Can't see a clutch being sorted under warranty on a used car, but they should be able to take a look at the other faults and sort it. Or is it buyers remorse?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
No not remorse, like the car just concerned with so many issues.

Dealer must be busy as he hasn't managed to ring me back yet......

Looking at the consumer rights act the clutch would have to be sorted. Not trying to be all back street lawyer just trying to understand my rights!

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Only been 3 days so will give him a shout again on Monday.

He is a reputable dealer so hopefully will be decent.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Should be covered, wait to see what dealer says. But if he washes his hands off it you can ring trading standards and they will help you out. Or if you bought car on finance you can ring finance company and they will get on it.
The car should be fit for purpose which it sounds like it isn’t.

RevT

RMS Regular
How did you not pick up on some of these issues before you bought it? 🙈

I don’t understand why some people do this. Surely a slightly longer test drive would be better than buying the car and then having all this hassle after?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Most of it only noticeable on rough roads and seeing as I don't live on the M2 I only noticed it when on country roads at home.

Clutch is noticeable when cold but they had kindly warmed the car up for my arrival.

If I had your wisdom and much superior hindsight @Trevor it wouldn't have had happened but here we are.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
See my thread on the problems I had with this!!

Hopefully you’re dealing with a proper Dealership and not a ropey mid-Ulster trader
every used car bought should be sold with 3 months warranty- I’ve been told that recently by a trader/dealer.

Consumer rights is 14 days right to return any purchase - but that’s not enforceable straight away - it has to go to Trading standards and it’s a nightmare the amount of evidence and hoops wmyoull have to jump thru to evidence everytging. Wasnt worth it in the end for me

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
As above - speak to the dealer, might be worth calling in for a chat, list the issues and see what they say and offer. Then take it from there really. Sometimes listening out for noises in cars raises all kinds of paranoia too.

Do progress it as soon as you can but I wouldn't go in mentioning the CRA or rejection - not likely to get them to work with you on it. Do keep a note of any back & forth in the meantime as you never know what road things will go down.

Easier to deal with it in small steps and take advice at each stage - don't jump 5 steps down the line to rejection in your mind and give yourself alot of stress over scenarios that may never come to pass.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Good advice @Terry think just annoyed as first time I have bought from a dealer in ages and was hoping for an easy ownership!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
:joy: :joy:
FB5C2438-A5EC-457B-881C-D0E1D5AA16D0.jpeg

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
I rejected a disco 3 last year that I'd bought from England. Log everything! Time of calls what was said etc.

I had to get an engineers report done on the car before the finance company would accept the rejection. I jumped straight to rejection after issue number 3 in 12 days.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I love these threads. It’s always good to see the misinformation that folk get before they come into a showroom all guns blazing! 😂

Go on...if you know any info that may help I’m sure he’d appreciate it

Unfortunately I was in a similar position recently and have spoken with Trading standards re consumer rights etc...and also with the credit card company about your rights there too..
None of it is easy...need to document and evidence absolutely everything and a lot of hassle.

I’m sure speaking with dealer re getting issues sorted under warranty is best best

Hope the OP gets sorted

scub

Banned
I love these threads. It’s always good to see the misinformation that folk get before they come into a showroom all guns blazing! 😂
meaning? if you're not clued enough when buying a car then it's grand to get stroked by some pr1ck who knows exactly the heap of sh1te they're selling?
warming the car up in advance would certainly lead you to that conclusion.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
Like @Snoopcousins says mate, do your research into Consumer rights act. If you've bought the car via finance. Then get them involved straight away. They own the car and will also help you fight your corner.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
When did you ring them initially? If I didn't get a call back on Monday morning I'd be sending an email along the lines "further to my phone call on xx/xx/xxxx at ...."

Although there are some on here in the car trade probably disagree, you can never do enough ass covering incase things go south

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Thanks for all the info. As I said just looking some guidance.

Haven't spoke to the dealer yet but emailed the list of issues last night and asking that he ring me on Monday to discuss what we can do.

His feedback on Google reviews is fantastic so at this stage I am hopeful it can be resolved.

If not I will say what I bought and from whom 😂

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Hence why I didn't name them at the time and still not going to as it was never about that.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
But at the same time it is another ploy by car dealers.

Some, instead of fixing and selling you a functional roadworthy car at point of sale....will sell the car with a "warranty", and then after you buy it let you sort the faults out via a warranty so the dealer doesn't have to pay to fix the faults they knew about in the first place.

Or some just sell and hope for the best with no actual warranty

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.