Rejecting a used car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KevM

RMS Regular
But at the same time it is another ploy by car dealers.

Some, instead of fixing and selling you a functional roadworthy car at point of sale....will sell the car with a "warranty", and then after you buy it let you sort the faults out via a warranty so the dealer doesn't have to pay to fix the faults they knew about in the first place.

Or some just sell and hope for the best with no actual warranty

Here - That would be a fantastic idea (if most warranties didnt have a clause that the dealer fixes their own faults for the first three months of cover).

PS. Can you suggest a warranty provider to us that cover Clutches? Id be interested in talking to them

Thanks in Advance (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There may be some out there, but no doubt you'd pay a fortune for it because of the nature of the clutch being a wear item.

But it's poor practise that dealers sell cars they know have faults, either in the hope the customer doesn't notice or that some other warranty company might have to sort the problem...again, all causing hassle for the customer after purchase.

KevM

RMS Regular
There may be some out there, but no doubt you'd pay a fortune for it because of the nature of the clutch being a wear item.

But it's poor practise that dealers sell cars they know have faults, either in the hope the customer doesn't notice or that some other warranty company might have to sort the problem...again, all causing hassle for the customer after purchase.

Why would a dealer knowingly supply a car with faults, knowing that the customer is going to drain the life out of them on the phone for the next 2 weeks, while Karen'ing the life out of them in the Showroom and all over every channel of Social Media known to man? Surely the hassle for the customer, is hassle for the dealer. no?

A technician cant possibly learn absolutely everything about the condition of a car whilst on a 5 minute test-drive, & carrying out a visual health check and service. If these 'faults' were as glaringly apparent, surely the customer would pick up on them during the same 5 minute test-drive and decline to proceed with the purchase?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Clutch is covered by the consumer rights act as it was there the day I collected the car so not being fixed under warranty but under the terms of that.

Please lock this thread @Coog as it has went full RMS.

KevM

RMS Regular
Clutch is covered by the consumer rights act as it was there the day I collected the car so not being fixed under warranty but under the terms of that.

That cant possibly be right, sure Stevie says the dealer has fobbed you off to the Warranty company to have them pick up the tab?

PS - Didnt sound like your clutch had failed, but may have been showing signs of wear (on a used car......), so fair play to the dealer for throwing money at the car to Satisfy the customer.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Not throwing money at the car fixing it under the terms of the consumer rights act.

I have to operate under many laws whilst doing my job, why should car dealers be any different @KevM ?

colin84

RMS Regular
Why would a dealer knowingly supply a car with faults, knowing that the customer is going to drain the life out of them on the phone for the next 2 weeks, while Karen'ing the life out of them in the Showroom and all over every channel of Social Media known to man? Surely the hassle for the customer, is hassle for the dealer. no?

A technician cant possibly learn absolutely everything about the condition of a car whilst on a 5 minute test-drive, & carrying out a visual health check and service. If these 'faults' were as glaringly apparent, surely the customer would pick up on them during the same 5 minute test-drive and decline to proceed with the purchase?

Common practice with small traders, why fix something the customer might not notice or even come back about? Get the money for the car, then deal with issues afterwards.

My last car I bought came with a 3 month Autoguard warranty, which gets the dealer off the hook straight away. When I was having intermittent issues with the in-car screen, I contacted the dealer and the first thing he asked was had I contacted the warranty company? Before I bought the car he had told me that he had been using the car himself for a while, so he most likely knew about the fault.

KevM

RMS Regular
Not throwing money at the car fixing it under the terms of the consumer rights act.

I have to operate under many laws whilst doing my job, why should car dealers be any different @KevM ?

Thats quite black and white.

Let me be as 'black and white' back again.

Were you unhappy about the condition of your Clutch, or had your Clutch failed?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Never once did I say the clutch failed.

Said it was on the way out.

At times the car won't engage 2nd or 3rd gear. Pulling out of junctions this made the car unsafe thus qualifying as a significant fault under the consumer rights act.

When you sell any product for profit the consumer is protected under law.

Most car dealers would surely want a good reputation and to stop people being a Karen as you put it.

If you bought a TV from Curry's and couldn't select some channels would you keep it or ask them to sort it?

KevM

RMS Regular
When your only weapon left is turn to insults you know you have lost.

Have a good weekend.

Look, as I said earlier in the thread, it always amuses me to see 'the other side' of all of this.

You get to claim a victory having flexed your big muscles and 'exercised your consumer rights', but in reality, the dealer has got really bored listening you exaggerating & quoting Google and threw a few hundred quid at it to make you go away! Everyone's a winner!! :joy:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I hope all dealers don’t have that attitude tbh
When your only weapon left is turn to insults you know you have lost.

Have a good weekend.

Glad you got sorted,
I bought a second car recently from a trader/dealer and got shafted - he told me that night I bought the car to “take him to court” and he would not have car returned etc...unfortunately I hadn’t googled him before buying it.

colin84

RMS Regular
Hardly matters, we're all tarred with the same brush regardless... Just look back over this thread (and the thousands like it).

Whats the issue? The car was sold with a latent defect, the clutch was obviously on it's way out, but he didn't wear it out in 3 days did he? Under the sale of goods act it can hardly be described as "fit for purpose" if he can't select gears properly.

KevM

RMS Regular
I know @Snoopcousins let's hope his employer that he lists on social media is more understand to the customer.

Yes, they are very good to be fair! But me and my employer have little relevance to you and your purchase.

Oh, and now that you have stalked me online know what I look like, promise me you wont beat me with your keyboard. That would be a very stereotypical Karen thing to do lol

KevM

RMS Regular
Whats the issue? The car was sold with a latent defect, the clutch was obviously on it's way out, but he didn't wear it out in 3 days did he? Under the sale of goods act it can hardly be described as "fit for purpose" if he can't select gears properly.

The car was sold with a latent defect

@lackingBHP spoke with the dealer, dealer fixed the car

End of story.

Whats the issue.....

lackingBHP, before speaking to the dealer, goes onto RMS, creates a thread called "Rejecting a used car" and the flood of bad advice and dealer beating begins. & how dare anyone post on the thread if they are not on the side of the OP....

Its comical, but fairly typical.

;)

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Calling people Karen and slagging the OP or anyone giving advice is typical of your responses In this thread...
If you’re so knowledgable in this regard then why have you not ONCE given the OP some advice rather than just laugh and berate?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.