Remove scrape from Perspex?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RS Darren

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 530d M-Sport
Just got myself a nice piece of Perspex for my install but there’s a dirty great big scrape in it that I didn’t notice when I got it. Can’t really complain as I got it for free :party: But, is there any way of polishing/buffing this out or will this destroy the finish and make it cloudy? Its also fairly deep :sob:

Porter

RMS Regular
i tried with a bit i had and it just scored it with the particles in it scratching the surface,

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
.... i can't verify this as I have never used perspex in my own installs, but an old colleague of mine swore by a mixture of brasso and mr sheen...... half and half.... it might be prudent to try it on a piece of the perspex that isn't seen first just in case he was yanking my chain. Rub on, buff off!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
brasso works wonders on very light glass scratches and infact some body men will use it after the G3 a car before polishing to get any final imperfections out !

try it on an out of the road area 1st incase it scratcheds but it is a VERY light abbrasive so shouldn't

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
you will need to work out what grit of sandpaper/wetdry or filing will remove the inital scratch.

Once you have the orginal one buffed out you will have to contiuously lower the grit of the wet&dry paper till its ultra-smooth, then use a polishing machine to "highlight" any more scrapes and keep doing that till its smooth then finish off with a very, very fine liquid polish(like brasso). Lot's of work, brings me back to my first year engineering in J'town :p

good luck!

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
sand it out with 1200 grit sandpaper then skim over it with a blowtorch and thatll bring up the shine again. top job minimum effort. just make sure u only skim it with the torch til it shines otherwise youll have a bigger mess than u started with lol

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
santoz said:
you will need to work out what grit of sandpaper/wetdry or filing will remove the inital scratch.

Once you have the orginal one buffed out you will have to contiuously lower the grit of the wet&dry paper till its ultra-smooth, then use a polishing machine to "highlight" any more scrapes and keep doing that till its smooth then finish off with a very, very fine liquid polish(like brasso). Lot's of work, brings me back to my first year engineering in J'town :p

good luck!

i'd go for this route, altho i've had a similar engineerin edu wit the freak at jordanstown lol

if u cud get use of a machine polisher u'd b laughin to give it the gd glossy finish again

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.