Removing paint from carbon

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Bought a carbon bonnet that's been painted over

We agreed a price if the paint was removed

Anyway fast forward I've the bonnet here and only a small corner was removed to reveal carbon

What or how can I remove the paint to reveal the rest of the carbon without damaging the it?
IMG_20190405_180624.jpg
IMG_20190405_180456.jpg

I know it'll all need lacquered again when done

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
There is stuff called carbolift. Dunno if it’s any good but apparently lifts paint safely off carbon.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
I was gonna tackle it myself but I'd end up going to hard/rough an damaging the carbon

The guy I bought it off said wet an dry 1000 then 1500 then upto 2000

And another chap said 600 wet an dry then move up

Paintstripper I don't think would do

Anyway of getting the paint removed will need to bonnet relacquered anyway as to paint a surface, you need to key or scratch. Being carbon, the lacquer would been scratched.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Leave it in somewhere, it’s not worth the hassle :joy: that’s what I did in the end.

You should be fine just sanding it back until you see the carbon appearing, the epoxy resin under the paint is really hard and your unlikely to sand right through it with a lot of effort. It’s a lot harder than the paint inself I found

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
Leave it in somewhere, it’s not worth the hassle :joy: that’s what I did in the end.

You should be fine just sanding it back until you see the carbon appearing, the epoxy resin under the paint is really hard and your unlikely to sand right through it with a lot of effort. It’s a lot harder than the paint inself I found
Yea, me and patience don't go well, I'd end up with the grinder and buffing wheel 🤣🤣🤣

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What did the seller use to remove the paint for the corner that’s stripped?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Why buy it if the paint wasn’t removed, as per what you agreed with him? Seems a lot of hassle and a big possibility of ****ing the bonnet only to paint it again anyway...?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
Why buy it if the paint wasn’t removed, as per what you agreed with him? Seems a lot of hassle and a big possibility of ****ing the bonnet only to paint it again anyway...?
Bodyshop had it packed already, I said refusing to pay the rest unless proved the paint is removed, peeled back a corner an send me the picture of the corner, I said ok an paid the rest

Once opened I rang the chap an explained what is going on, followed by pictures
He will refund me what a bodyshop charges for removing paint

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.