Removing products/coatings from windscreen?

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Looking some advice on how to clean windscreen back to bare glass. I bought a new car recently and the windscreen seems to have residue of old products in places.

It makes visibility poor in places on the screen when wet, specifically in the drivers eye line, not ideal. Best way I can describe it is when it's raining the water 'sticks' to the glass in places and never properly clears with the wipers.

The wipers aren't the culprit as they are in good condition and I've taken them off and cleaned them properly to remove any dirt/greasiness.

I've tried glass cleaner, fairy liquid and clay bar but the problem remains. I want to get it completely stripped then apply some sort of hydrophobic coating.

All advice welcome, cheers (y)

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Might be worth a try?

jonny.92

RMS Regular
OP
jonny.92
Might be worth a try?

Yeah I saw that thread after I posted mine and I think (hope) this may cure it 🤞

Be worth trying anachem lazer if you have some or another degreaser.

I think I have some G101 here, I'll give it a go when I'm washing it next đź‘Ť

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Get something dedicated to doing the job luke Angelwax Vision or even a strong IPA wipe.

If that doesn't shift it, do you have a machine polisher?

jonny.92

RMS Regular
OP
jonny.92
Get something dedicated to doing the job luke Angelwax Vision or even a strong IPA wipe.

If that doesn't shift it, do you have a machine polisher?

Yeah I have a machine polisher, but never used it on glass before. Can I use a regular cutting/finishing pad with glass polish or what would be the correct process?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Glass is very tough, so even your hardest pad and compound won't do anything to the glass, but it will definitely remove any coatings. Just make sure the glass is totally decontaminated (which it sounds like it is).