Removing The Cat

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
ok so basically the cat on my car is becoming bloked and i want to take it out asap anyone know any where that can do it and weld a straight pipe on in its place close to belfast or carrick.

cheers

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
cat-Exhaust-low-res.jpg

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Sorry im in that sort of mood lol

In relation to your question what about Dee's exhausts, have mixed reviews on here but im not sure on other places, other than Canavans but thats in lurgan

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
OP
Jonny1992
Drives
too much
lol really should have know better :grinning:

and yeah i dont like dees he messed a friend around gave him a price then tried to charge alot more. im sure there is somewhere else :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What car is it for? Surely decat pipes are already available on the market for it...

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Street Racer have custom fit exhaust work in house these days.

Worth a call to Mr Armo i'm sure.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You seen his prices? £280 for a non branded back box fitted...

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
i got dee's to remove mine and the middle box from the astra. cant complain about the price or service really. You can bargain with dee if you've cash too ;)

removing the cat continued to throw the EML light on the dash so i had to get a special spacer for the rear lambda sensor.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
use a hose, that should scare it away :p

theres a guy Fred in carrick who mite do it, he woudn't charge you much either,
I got a straight pipe on the mx5, £40 which i thought was okay, if your talking prices talk directly to Dee, i got quoted a price for a full system, and mates going to do it half price, +side, he'z a welder by trade.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
use a hose, that should scare it away :p

theres a guy Fred in carrick who mite do it, he woudn't charge you much either,
I got a straight pipe on the mx5, £40 which i thought was okay, if your talking prices talk directly to Dee, i got quoted a price for a full system, and mates going to do it half price, +side, he'z a welder by trade.

dee charged me £40 to remove the cat on my car

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Cat off, breaker bar in, and apply persuasive pressure with a hammering implement.

Done this on my old Focus when the cat collapsed.

Dee wouldnt do a Decat on the focus as it was OBD2... strange.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Next year, cars missing their cat's will fail MOT, I don't know the ins ans outs yet, but I would imagine it will be a case of "if it left the factory with one, it needs one"

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Next year, cars missing their cat's will fail MOT, I don't know the ins ans outs yet, but I would imagine it will be a case of "if it left the factory with one, it needs one"

you recon a car with a gutted cat or a decat pipe that looked like a cat would pass?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
you recon a car with a gutted cat or a decat pipe that looked like a cat would pass?

No, because if there is a full CAT emissions test, then chances of it passing will be virtually zero.

In fact.....likely thousands of normal cars will struggle to pass as well. Gona be a few big repair bills for what are essentially perfectly good cars coming. The kick up because of this is one of the reasons they stopped it here.

@ JCLC

When they did implement the full test back a year or two ago. What were the failure rates for normal petrol ( cat equipped ) cars due to emissions ?

Lets hope too, they go easy on diesels. The mind boggles why they use such an insane test procedure, even if it is used throughout Europe. Although from speaking to people in foreign lands, many dont actually conduct the very severe test as it's supposed to be done for obvious reasons

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My S70 passed the cat test when it was stone cold and the guts of the cat rattling, the cat test is no harder to pass then the standard emmission test, as long as the car is running properly. In our training we used a 94 Astra with no cat to demonstrate the cat test, and it passed stone cold as well.

As for cats with no guts, how are we to know if there is anything in it or not....

There will be 48 new testable items, some of which I think are pointless. There is alot of rumours as to what these will be, but training will be starting in the next month or 2, I can confirm that all warning lamps must be working (SRS, MIL, EBS ect ect) There is talk of the engine light also being testable, illegal mods like non standard exhaust (by that i mean de-cat pipes ect) HID's will be tested to construstion & use regs, so will require headlight washers and self levellers, trailer sockets, towbars need type approval plates

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
JCLC
When you have done the training would it be possible to post up the confirmed list of what the 48 new testable items will be?

vecta2007

RMS Regular
£40 is a pretty standard price for dee;s welding in a pipe to replace your cat or middle box and their work is exellent also no problems if you have to take it back ihave used a couple of other ones and they work out a few quid cheaper but the old saying you get what you pay for !!!

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
No, because if there is a full CAT emissions test, then chances of it passing will be virtually zero.
In fact.....likely thousands of normal cars will struggle to pass as well. Gona be a few big repair bills for what are essentially perfectly good cars coming. The kick

Dont want to contritict this as its correct, but my old Focus mentioned above has passed MOT with no issues every year since this was done. The chap that bought it always txts me to let me know. Last year the examiner commented on its low emissions.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
ugh I'm getting seriously fed up with the amount of hoops you have to jump through for an mot these days.
Its a minimum standard test ffs, bring in scrap, expect to have it tested accordingly.....

JCLC
When you have done the training would it be possible to post up the confirmed list of what the 48 new testable items will be?
If I remember them all lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.