Removing underseal

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I want to remove underseal from the inner wheel arches of the NSX.

It looks like it was applied when it was fairly new but is scabbing off in places and I'd rather return it to the factory look as it's never out in the rain / winter anyway.

It looks like bitumen based stuff. Is there an easy method or will I have to painstakingly pick it off bit by bit? Don't really want to use any solvents either.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Taken from passionford

"Wire wheel works well and is reasonably quick but will cover the whole garage in **** especially if its on its side.

Scraping with a bit of heat is cleaner but pretty slow and tedious. Once the thick is off, white spirit or similar on a rag cleans the metal work up well"

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Its a pig of a job. Are you looking to go back to bare metal then have them painted?

I was hoping to get it removed without the need for painting. What I’m hoping is that it’ll come off fairly easily seeing that it’s starting to come off by itself.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
069BE820-CCE9-4A0D-8E40-089F92E745E1.jpeg

Whilst it’s not doing any harm, it is a complete mess as you can see!

I’m going to try these scotchbrite type discs on the bigger areas. They’re usually tough enough to remove stuff like underseal but kind enough to the surface below:

E47D2DE0-4B72-49C1-BE93-F66A01826D2C.jpeg

Last edited:

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
That disc removes paint and all, I was using one the other day to remove underseal prior to welding a patch. You'll end up painting it regardless unless you use some form of chemical stripper, even at that it may not leave a desired finish.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
That disc removes paint and all, I was using one the other day to remove underseal prior to welding a patch. You'll end up painting it regardless unless you use some form of chemical stripper, even at that it may not leave a desired finish.

Yeah there may not be an easy way out. It looks to be a schutz / stone chip coating underneath the paint too so I don't want to be hacking at it.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
That rubbery sealer under the red paint is what I was referring to removing. I see what you mean now though.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Could someone soda blast it off or would that remove the paint and all underneath? Have you tried petrol or the likes of tarminator on it as any sort of mechanical action will surely ruin the paint underneath.
I was going to suggest something like using a freeze spray and chip it off but it looks very thinly applied.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
I had tested a small patch with white spirit, tar / adhesive remover and it's definitely stubborn.
I might have to have a re-think as to actually removing it.
It pains me to say it but I might end up having to remove the loose material, smooth the edges and re-coat with Gravi tex or something.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I was just going to suggest that, rather than have a head melt with it trying to remove, just add a couple of layers of gravitex and it can be primed and painted over too so could look factory. I did something like that on my 106 gti, removed any rough bits and re-applied. I've heard good reports about Upol raptor truck bed liner supposedly even better than gravitex.

This was the sort of finish I ended up with

arch5-jpg.106364

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Underseal removal is a seriously painful task.

You’d be best removing any of the loose stuff and then coating the arches with raptor, dinitrol or buzzweld

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
That looks like black spray paint rather than underseal? It seems to be very thin?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Anachem Tar remover, or Petrol, let it soak in for a while (couple of hours) then get the marigolds on and slowly work it all off with a nail brush and either of the above in a spray bottle

Just remember to cover the brakes, suspension and floor before you start

Mark_C

RMS Regular
As above, petrol is hard to beat Recently removed all the sealant on the skyline using petrol and various brushes and spent days spraying on and curing coats of dinitrol (which imo is no better than waxoyl)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s factory underneath the black stuff so if it can be removed with some sort of solvent it would be back to factory finish.Tarminator will remove paint if left long enough and you scrub enough with a cloth or abrasive pad so I reckon you could try it on that stuff, even if it leaves the factory paint dull you could spray a coat of lacquer on it to lift it again, makes it easier wiped down after a drive too.
This stuff is good as a protective sealant and dries clear. I’m busting to get it underneath my impreza if spring ever arrives!

Dynax-UC | For High Protection Rust Proofing | Cavity Wax - Bilt Hamber

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
no I would be removing the lot and coat it properly from a clean ideally blasted surface, do it once and so it right. underseal is terrible stuff. original or aftermarket it's as if they want the car to corrode.

# as for soda blasting, trust me, forget it. #

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
This thread is of interest.

My s2000 has been waxoiled and still is looking ok so I’m wondering instead of stripping it all back,can I go over it with anything that would leave the underside and arches ready for painting. (Just rattle can paint probably but want it as tidy as possible).

Literally have no clue regarding this

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
This thread is of interest.

My s2000 has been waxoiled and still is looking ok so I’m wondering instead of stripping it all back,can I go over it with anything that would leave the underside and arches ready for painting. (Just rattle can paint probably but want it as tidy as possible).

Literally have no clue regarding this

No. The waxoil has to come off.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Waxoyl can be removed with a little heat and thinners ( or I'm sure petrol too )

But it does seem removing any stuff under the car is a total and utter nightmare.

I'm sure shot blasting would do it...but that in itself can be a nightmare too and such a mess !!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Waxoyl would come off a lot easier than that stuff in the pic...not fan of it anyway there are much better products available these days

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Aye but if the paint hasn’t been prepped under the black stuff which looks the case then a steam pressure wash may also lift it off.

Taken paint off before with a steam wash

hippyross

RMS Regular
A hot pressure washer would be worth a try then something solvent based like thinners would be my second choice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.