Renault Clio 182 Turbo - Track Project

acsmyth

RMS Regular
OP
acsmyth
Drives
Supra
Did you ever try presenting it to MOT as a competition car?

Apparently there's a few loop holes if it's clear the car has been extensively modified for competition use.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Did you ever try presenting it to MOT as a competition car?

Apparently there's a few loop holes if it's clear the car has been extensively modified for competition use.
Hah, I tried that with my targa car (caged, buckets, harnesses, still had the trip in it, hydro etc). Got told that there must be a fair few rally cars that aren't road legal.

Wouldn't be an issue with mot in England. Something to do with a slight wording difference in use class regs in NI. Easier just to change the doors or take the windows out for mot 😂

Clio looks to be a good bit of kit by the way!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Oh crap, bought a set of perspex windows for mine over lockdown but not fitted yet. They are full windows and will still work on a winder etc. As said earlier, thought they should be ok as they don't seem to be an issue in the mainland.

What about fibreglass doors? Asking for a friend.... :sob:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Oh crap, bought a set of perspex windows for mine over lockdown but not fitted yet. They are full windows and will still work on a winder etc. As said earlier, thought they should be ok as they don't seem to be an issue in the mainland.

Worth a try with the windows if they operate as normal ones as mine are sliders so obviously not e marked glass. Prepare for lots of scratches on them though!

No idea on fibreglass doors, I'd imagine not an issue. The windows is a thing on terms re 'glazing' from memory.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, they were offering a hard coating to combat scratching but it was basically double the price.

The doors are very well made, look like standard doors inside and out but only 5kg with a the bare casing. they will be more once built up but worth the effort still I think.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Drives
F82 M4 CP

He tapped the rear windows and shook his head, then when he saw the door glass was plastic it was a fail :worried:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
He tapped the rear windows and shook his head, then when he saw the door glass was plastic it was a fail :worried:
As far as I'm aware only front 3 windows need to be glass (glazed) for MOT. Saying that the utter ****er I had for the mx5 seemed to have his mind made up as soon as he looked at the car at the start of the test.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd much rather have perspex cracking than glass shattering in around me if I hit anything side on. I've had the pleasure of going out through the side window of a car in an accident and have the frigged scalp as the reminder of it, thankfully I put my head down when I saw the window coming towards me or I'd have had a face like a peeled melon. As it was, I looked like a scene from a horror movie and my sister passed out when she saw me walking back up the road.

I guess they only have to be glazed if they are there. I take it all the stage cars here have Stranraer MOT's lol.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Love it, I dare say that will be a little more wallet friendly to run round Kirky too!

PS we need another Hot Hatch battle now, just give me until next season lol!

acsmyth

RMS Regular
OP
acsmyth
Drives
Supra
Quite the eventful day.

First season the car was flawless, great fun and quick.

Lined up for the second session and had a solid brake pedal with no give. Back in and it had melted the vacuum hose to the servo. So new hose on and brakes fixed.

Lined up for the session after lunch and well, I’ll let the video speak for itself:

Watch here

Thankfully I’m OK and apart from cosmetic damage the Clio is fine, needs a new bumper and bonnet but mechanically it seems to have escaped with little harm.

Hope to have it fixed and ready to go again in November!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That sucks, but thats why a track car and not a daily driver is a good idea.

At least it sounds fixable.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Drives
F82 M4 CP
Glad you’re ok and it’s not a breaker, they’re cheap as chips to buy bits for, hopefully your intercooler survived! They’re strong little things

acsmyth

RMS Regular
OP
acsmyth
Drives
Supra
Honestly I have no idea mate, from the video it doesn’t give many clues either.

I probably just didn’t scrub enough speed off before turning in and the back end rotated too far or I caught the inside curb and it unsettled the car.

All was a blur really. Guy behind me had his GoPro rolling so probably get a better look from that angle.