Renault Kangoo DCi starting problems

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I've been having a lot of trouble with my Renault Kangoo at the minute. It simply refuses to start.

I have replaced:
- All 4 glow plugs
- Crank Position Sensor
- Fuel Filter
- Drained ALL diesel and replaced with fresh diesel
- Key has been coded by locksmith

And it still won't start. However, it will start on the odd occasion for no apparent reason and run fine for about 30 seconds then it will just cut out for no reason. Whenever it does start the engine sound quite "knocky" but it will rev and run fine without producing any type of smoke.

It will turn over and turn over sounding like it is getting no fuel when it's getting plenty of fresh clean diesel. The glow plug light on the dashboard is working as it should but after a few seconds of turning over it comes on again and the engine stop light flashes.

I am guessing now that it must be something relating to the injector pump/injectors themselves. How do I tell if the injectors are at fault without a fault code reader?

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
It broke down like this before the key was coded though - the keys were stolen after it started this nonsense so I had to get another one coded.

DMC 4087

RMS Regular
Ah right, just thought I would mention it as I had an Audi Coupe a few months ago that did the same thing because of a faulty key

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Already changed the TDC (Crank Position Sensor) with a brand new one.

Cro

RMS Regular
Hmm ok then I'll just throw a few other things you could look for
- ignition relay
-battery
-egr valve
- ring decoder
- uch
-fuses

or try this :
lock the car and unlock it .. (with everthing shut)
turn ignition on so just ignition lights on leave on for a couple of mins ,
turn off ignition ...
lock and unlock again then try and start .....

Just some things I can think of off the top of my head, you can check that the injectors are getting signal with a multimeter on the pins on crankover

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
we have a 1.5 dci here, refusing to start too, it needs a injector. we had it on diaignosics and it told us injector1 faulty :confounded:

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Have you used the spare key recently? I moved my neighbours berlingo van one day with the spare and when i went to move it back again it wouldnt start, had to take the van away on a lorry and get it coded i think?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Injectors give bother on the Renault dervs, so I'd nearly put money on that they are on their way out.

You can get a rough idea if you pull the return off one at a time and see how much leak back there is. (when you get it started!!)

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I've bought a code reader so hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and reveal the cause of the problem.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
and for god sake do not crack open the fuel pipes when cranking or it's running, these run at aprox 120 BAR plus, yes that is bar, not psi! meaning you crack open an injector, nice load of diesel in the blood stream, well do what ever the hell you want as no hospital will save you in time!

guy i know off down south did not listen to the information given about these, and well, died on the car he was warned about due to not listening

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Plugged the code reader into the van this morning and it says that there are no fault codes in the vehicle. What a nice waste of money and no further forward to fixing it!

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
some fault codes dont show on certain machines, unless you know someone with the Renault dianosics machine ;)

hazey

RMS Regular
Drives
civic/kangoo
hey Bryan i know how you feel.

bought a kangoo only got 15miles after buying broke down on the outside lane of the M5.

mine would take ages to crank over as if the diesel had ran back into the tank.is yours like that?

ends up the pipes going to the injectors which are clear were letting air in so a few cable ties and it was sorted.

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
I'm never buying a Renault again...
i could probaly say that about all the vans we've ever owned lol
Cit Berlingo 19D= oil cooler, imobiliser problems
vaux combo= ecu's, gearbox's
Ren Kangoo= (64k so far) needs a injector
04> Vw Caddy= gearbox's, exhausts, shocks(under warrentee thou:laughing:)
Peug Partner1.6HDI= (only 35k) so far so good (y)(y)

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Once I get it running I'm planning to trade it in for a Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Expert.

It won't even fire up with a tow start now - I haven't been able to get it started today at all.

It's funny you should mention the fuel pipes - I know there is a small pin hole in the feed pipe but that's been there for a long long time and I originally taped it up with electrical tape which resolved the issue back then. The pipe looks fine though and you can't see any air bubbles in it. Again, it's funny that I can only get it started if I swap the feed and return lines position over so the feed becomes the return pipe and the return becomes the feed as the air hole is in the feed pipe.

New pipes are £37 odd for two lengths of clear pipe.

I have also been out with the multimeter today and it would seem that the glow plugs are only getting 7 volts - I assume they are supposed to get at least 12? I did try and bypass the relay by feeding them with 12 volts but it didn't seem to work either.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Left this in with the only mechanic I could find who was brave enough to tackle it. Turns out the van had 3 scrap injectors so it had 4 brand new ones fitted and apparently runs like a dream now but I haven't got it back yet though.

The van has been off the road since October 2008!

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
My work Kangoo is very hard to start when it is warm, it takes three goes and the third turn I just keep at it until it catches even though its banging away and lights up like a disco.

Its been in to the company's Mechanic in Larne (who are crap) and they had it on the computer twice and it showed nothing.

The Mechanic even pointed out the heater light and said wait til this goes out and then start it. The t**t.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
glad to hear u got yours sorted mate as for BA it sounds like u might have compression problems :confounded:

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Well it was beyond the mechanics at larne but then im not surprised. They replaced my altenator belt that now squeals twice as bad, and put four new tyres on only balancing the front two....

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Any problems with Renaults give Ian a call 07737 877193 (he's in lisburn). He has fixed both of my Renault vans when others failed to find the problem.

I had given my Kangoo to two other mechanics before I found him.

windlesham lad

Drives
Renault scenic 1
have had a start problem with my scenic dci 1.5. it started after i had a new alternator fitted, from then on it started on all four cylinders but with a subdued note to the engine for a few seconds but would then pick up to its usual tickover tone. Told my garage of this when the car was only starting on three cylinders (from cold, long time standing idle) they changed the heater plugs but this did no good. told them of this and by the time they looked at it again it would only start on two cylinders and then clear itself. after each rough start when the engine cleared. They changed the pre/post heater module. Still not done the trick. Only runs rough on start up when left for a long time i.e. overnight but soon clears and runs sweet as a nut. I have removed the TDC sensor and cleaned it. i have tried to bleed the air from the high pressure fuel lines but still have frothy diesel coming out of the return pipe from back of fuel pump in a small amount every 4 to 5 seconds. i am sure my problem is in the fuel system as i have no warnings.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.