Renault Megane MK2 Hazard lights jammed on?!

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Hi everyone.

Megane hazards are playing up. Started about a month ago coming on randomly when you'd start the car first thing in the morning. The thing was that they would start flashing when the ignition was turned on and then would go off themselves when the engine fired up or a few seconds afterwards. When not in the car or when it was locked they'd be fine - random, but I could live with it.

Today, however, when sat in the car for a while they came on and nothing would make them go off other than starting the engine. It got to the point when I left and locked the car they were jammed on. Tried the hazard switch, removed the switch. Only random thing that can turn them off is turning the end of the stalk to turn headlights on and off - rare. I know the cars are horrendous for electrics, I well know it and maybe the whole electrical system has just kicked it big style!? Any direction?

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
We'll assume he means UPC. It won't be that.
It'll be the alarm. It should be in the Nsr quarter panel

-sean-

RMS Member
Hi @JackMO
Did you ever get a fix for the Megane Hazards issue? I have the same thing and am wondering if you ever got to what was causing it and how you fixed it.

JackMO

RMS Regular
OP
JackMO
Drives
Golf GTI
Sorry fellas.

In brief, water ingress of the electric module for the car running all lights, steering lock and key cards, windows etc. The drain holes block up below wipers, scuttle fills full of water until it overflows over the firewall. Just so happens the module is placed right above the glovebox at the lip of the firewall 🤷🏻‍♂️

I removed the module, left it to dry and unblocked the scuttles. A few days later everthing plugged and played and no problems since. I think I was lucky to catch it when it had enough ingress to start driving it mad but not enough that it was toast! Bit of pain if you need a new module as you need to fet key cards and steering lock all coded to it.