Renault trafic issues

colin84

RMS Regular
Bit of a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway.

My Renault Trafic 2.0 has an issue sometimes when moving off, it's almost like trying to take off in a high gear, the engine wants to stall, then after a few seconds the power comes back. It drives 100% otherwise.

I can see on the rear view camera while this power loss is happening that there is puffs of smoke coming out of the exhaust. The van has been put on 2 different fault reader's and is showing nothing?

colin84

RMS Regular
OP
colin84
I can't really tell from the camera, looks black, maybe grey.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
code readers are not magic.

And it's well known they go through injectors pretty often. Until it gets worse, not much point going nuts.

And wiring looms can get into bother too.

colin84

RMS Regular
OP
colin84
code readers are not magic.

And it's well known they go through injectors pretty often. Until it gets worse, not much point going nuts.

And wiring looms can get into bother too.

It's knowing where else to start, I'm guessing it's injector related, but I'm not sure how it woukd cause this problem. If it is injector related I will just drive it on!
I was going to suggest a leak off test try cleaning the egr valve first.

EGR is clean, a leak off test may be the way to go.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Is the egr valve easy to unplug in the trafic might be worth unplugging it and see if it’s the same. Could be anything though MAF etc.

colin84

RMS Regular
OP
colin84
Injector joe will be your best friend, dont even be tempted to try and pull any of those injectors

Definitely not. My usual mechanic had him out for one recently and it ended up with 3 ruined injectors, couldn't be helped. Something I hadn't even thought of was that there is no room for a sliding hammer even. I need the van for work, so I may get him to investigate further, or just drive it on.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Unfortunately designing injectors to bath in a water trap 24/7 was not one of ren/vx brightest ideas. When pulled the injectors tend to be removed in pieces, joe can sort but obviously at a price for his services.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Definitely not. My usual mechanic had him out for one recently and it ended up with 3 ruined injectors, couldn't be helped. Something I hadn't even thought of was that there is no room for a sliding hammer even. I need the van for work, so I may get him to investigate further, or just drive it on.

There are proper pullers for them, slide hammer style is generally poor and not powerful enough. Not really the first option. But the Trafic engine is well renowned for badly seized injectors. Very bad design.
When they're new, they need taken apart and lots of anti-seize put around them and re-installed. And also try and limit water ingress into the top of the engine, as they usually get all wet and corrosion plays a role too