Renaultsport Clio 182 FF

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Picked this up last night after telling myself lies that I wouldn’t buy any fun cars for a while so here we are.

Having owned an r53 and M3 over the last 3 years which are now both away to new homes, the one I miss the most is the R53! Don‘t get me wrong, I loved my M3 and the S65 is an absolute peach of an engine but they are hard to properly use and enjoy on our roads without potentially losing your licences or putting yourself and others at risk IMO.

With a low budget in mind as I expect I could have limited opportunities to really use this over the coming year(s) I viewed this little Clio 182 and a deal was done fairly sharpish.

Black Gold
88k miles
Full Fat (Both Cup Packs)
Speedline Turini Wheels
Full Service History
Cambelt/Dephaser/Waterpump service done in March 2021 @ 87k
And a few mods to figure out over the next while.

Car got a quick once over with Anachem products and have to say the condition is pretty nice with some easy improvements to be made.
BA7D7D6F-6B08-40FD-9FC5-6A268CE8B785.jpeg
013AA242-524F-42C2-9CB5-8F481C049589.jpeg
A91AB574-960C-4C8D-AC1B-3EFD254496D8.jpeg
73AB5BC2-EF6E-467C-82E0-11EE18F293AF.jpeg

Extensive folders of history with both keys present, orginal jack kit and foam kit, etc.
37E93646-1D23-4D8A-8787-E6BF48F0BC8B.jpeg

Bill of sale from when the car was new. Looks a bit of a bargain!!
64653A91-5A0A-4A94-8359-76F02571BBF2.jpeg

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Awesome. I’m glad I didn’t see this for sale before you :joy: Same as my old one. Will def have another at some stage.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Lovely looking in the black with the Turinis. Great wee cars and always had fun in them

Reactions: ALN

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
That looks like a great example. I would love one as a potential track car and have been keeping an eye on gumtree/ebay etc but want to upgrade the daily first and think the wife would question my logic if I got one now. Maybe in a year or so if your shifting this on lol.

Enjoy

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Very nice! Are you wanting to change the wheels? I think the Speedlines suit it perfectly, or you wanting another set of some track day action?

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Very nice! Are you wanting to change the wheels? I think the Speedlines suit it perfectly, or you wanting another set of some track day action?
No lol. Just handy to have a spare set so I can send the speeelines away for refurb mainly. Also nice to have for all they're bound to cost.

Don't actually have no plans to track this ATM. More just a B road warrior but you never know. I would love to experience a track day all the same.....

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That looks perfect - @Carson and I randomly talking about these last night. Def an itch I need to scratch. Loved my old clio's (non 172/82)

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Phenomenal cars for fun factor, still to this day one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned, albeit it was a 172 cup. Perfect example of why you don't need tons of power to have a lot of fun, that said they aren't slow either, especially on the back roads. Looks like a lovely example, great to still see these on the road and being looked after. HTD.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
That looks o be in fantastic condition! No matter how many times I have toyed with parting with mine, I never can, areal 'get under your skin' car! Black gold really is a lovely colour when clean. Back when I was looking for mine I dismissed black due to it being 'boring black' but when the sun hits it there is a lovely shine to it!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I was regularly seeing high 30s, and on longer runs into the 40s. They are a gift to run...well they were back when petrol prices weren't so extortionate.

Handy, to know. My S3 is doing low/mid 30's if I'm sensible but if these can do 40+ then I'd rather have on of them than a derv!

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Did you find it locally?
Yes. Got it from a sound chap in Lisburn as @Eamo_vxr guessed.

That looks o be in fantastic condition! No matter how many times I have toyed with parting with mine, I never can, areal 'get under your skin' car! Black gold really is a lovely colour when clean. Back when I was looking for mine I dismissed black due to it being 'boring black' but when the sun hits it there is a lovely shine to it!
Seems to be decent enough. I've given it a fair initial tidy up which helps it massively to be fair. Black gold better than I thought and know what you mean about getting under your skin. I figured it's one of those cars to get in the garage before the already increasing value get out of hand.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Took a brief hoke round the engine bay and gave it a quick freshen up also. I’m not familiar with these cars at all and when viewing I was admittedly a bit naive about what I was looking at though I’m not sure the seller wasn’t overly sure so I thought I had a few things to put back to standard.

What we have is Powerflex (race?) engine mounts, K etc solid top mounts and an ITG Moxogen induction kit. I won’t lie, I thought the induction kit was some eBay special but apparently this is THE kit to have on this thing and costs of £400! It is made from carbon fibre I suppose.

The engine cover has been removed which seems common on these. Totally threw me off when I first looked at it! The inlet manifold has been painted too so might try and freshen that up at some point. Hopefully get a nice condition engine cover and I see you can get a tidy aftermarket battery cover.

Also if anyone can point me towards the best dealer/place for oem parts would be appreciated. Need a few random things….
F3771FD6-EA6A-4D07-AA45-247D486EBA60.jpeg
0BDA4060-9F8B-4DD7-92B4-582BD1700E47.jpeg

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Love. Personally, I'd be leaving those bits on it as they are adding to the car in every sense of the word.

Are you going to track it?

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Love. Personally, I'd be leaving those bits on it as they are adding to the car in every sense of the word.

Are you going to track it?
Yeh I probably will. Just funny when viewing I was like wtf is going on here?!

I have no plans to track it, possibly because I don't even know where to begin but if the opportunity presents I might. Certainly something I'd love to experience.

I'm under the impression I might be running 197 cams also here. Seller did try to explain something to that effect and the receipts seem to confirm this. Chris Carson (Crawford Clarke Cars) seems to be the last fella to work on it. Apparent "the guy" for these cars so hopefully get a chance to speak to him in the new year and see what he can tell me.