Repairing a written off car

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Guys

Been trying to read up here this afternoon, but its doing my nut in.

Have had a car written off as a category S, due to uneconomical repair costs.

Whats the process to get it back on the road again, settlement figures agreed and insurance company informed the car is being purchased.
It needs a new crash bar, rear bumper and tailgate. Quarter panels seem unaffected.
There is a small amount of damage to spare wheel holder, but I mean very small, and its only the outer part if that makes sense.

Seems I need to tell DVLA I think, but is that all?

Last edited:

ShaunB

RMS Regular
OP
ShaunB
Sorry to bother you again, does it need mot'd again too?

ShaunB

RMS Regular
OP
ShaunB
Guys
I hate to be a pain in the hole, but could you point me in the right directions a wee bit here please.
To inform DVLA, do I request a new V5 document just using a V62 form?
Their website is a bit rubbish.

Can the car be driven before such documents are completed.
The insurance company know the car is being collected from the bodyshop probably tomorrow.

vxr55

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhall VXR8
If you still have the v5 then just use it. If you have surrendered it to the insurance company then use a v62 form to get a new one. Here’s the strange thing about cat s vehicles, for some reason quite a few of them never get any category put against them and they end up unrecorded. I have had maybe half a dozen over the last few years that were bought as cat s but never were recorded at all. It doesn’t seem to happen with cat n only cat s

ShaunB

RMS Regular
OP
ShaunB
I have the V5 ok, insurance never asked for it. Presumably I must tell DVLA though

ShaunB

RMS Regular
OP
ShaunB
Really, I won't get into bother by not disclosing it to DVLA then?
I had been wondering what the point of getting them involved was.