Replacing a modern Range Rover with an ancient Volvo estate (my plan)

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
Drives
XKR
So the story is this: we have a 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 with all the bells and whistles. It is absolutely fantastic, looks the biz, is reliable, quiet, smooth and very, very fast. Unfortunately I hate most of those things and that's why we've only done 3,000 miles in it during the two years we have had it. We also went to bring stuff to the recycling centre in it, but couldn't fit as much in the back as I thought it would take - not just because of the lack of space but I was also wary of scratching any of the interior. Also, I can't do any work/servicing on the thing as it's under warranty and I don't want to mess that up.

My daily driver is a 2009 XKR - it's a huge amount of fun, difficult to drive properly in a straight line, is very noisy, has no space for carrying anything, looks fantastic.

So what I want to do is to get rid of the RR and buy a Volvo 240 or 940 estate, or a mid-90s V70. Maybe also a Merc W124 estate. Something fun that doesn't mind being used, but that I can also work on and service etc.

Question: where is the best place to sell something worth > £42K ? I am not sure how that would go with private sellers...
Secondly: any leads on a good, old Volvo would be appreciated !

IMG20200621144641.jpg
IMG20200621143502.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Man maths gone wrong :worried:

love the Rangie.. keep it.. you’ll know all about the 90’s estate after a week or two with no Bluetooth and a tape deck.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Keep the Rangie.

Buy the Volvo.

Enjoy the best of both worlds.

Simple.

I currently have a Van for everyday, a v6 Shogun for Towing and a Rangie for going somewhere nice. I love having them all...

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I will straight swap you my silver Mk4 Golf. Honestly, I would be doing you a favour, so straight swap is a great deal. It has similarities to the Volvo’s, in that they share the same first 3 letters of their name. Easily do dump runs, tow a trailer, heated seats and has a parrot system for some bluetooth goodness. Just let me know when to collect the Range Rover. 👍👍

richie_mck

RMS Regular
If you're going to volvo estate, I'd be looking at v70r's personally.

Modernish looking, seriously comfortable, fast and an icon in its own right. Ive always wanted one in green and nearly bit the bullet a few years back on an LPG'd one

I would imagine going from a daily xkr to an older volvo that wouldn't pull you out of bed would get tiring quickly.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
J&F group to sell the Range, I dont use anyone else anymore.

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
OP
FrankXK8
Drives
XKR
Ah - keeping the XKR, doing about 6,000 miles a year in that. It's because this car has so much personality that I don't so much like the RR.

With the RR only getting 1,500m use in the year that's why I am looking for a more engaging old car. Not a daily driver. Just something to fill the gap the odd time that the XKR cannot (buying more than one bag of coal, or going to the dump)

The V70 looks interesting - they seem to vary wildly in price though - £400 to £9000 (although the Rs seem to be always above £7K). The 240s are interesting cars, and they seem to run £3K/£4K

39,000 miles on our RR. The only thing I would swap it for would be an XKR-S :grinning:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Similar plan to me really, I sold a 2 year old BMW M4 and replaced it with a 12 year old BMW M3 and an 11 year old 520d estate.

Was terrified of wrecking or scratching the M4. Now I use the 520 for my daily driving and not afraid to use it and same with the M3 as it is there to be enjoyed.

Best move I made to be honest and at the price I bought them for they shouldn't really drop in value whereas the M4 was losing thousands per year.

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
OP
FrankXK8
Drives
XKR
Similar plan to me really, I sold a 2 year old BMW M4 and replaced it with a 12 year old BMW M3 and an 11 year old 520d estate.

Was terrified of wrecking or scratching the M4. Now I use the 520 for my daily driving and not afraid to use it and same with the M3 as it is there to be enjoyed.

Best move I made to be honest and at the price I bought them for they shouldn't really drop in value whereas the M4 was losing thousands per year.
*that* is what I am talking about !

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The W124s are nice. Theres a clean one lives round the corner from me at a pretty nice house and it genuinely doesn't look out of place. Absolutely timeless and they were well engineered.

I'd go for pre facelift 300E (3.0 I6 petrol) if you could find one. It won't be cheap but it wont depreciate either.

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
OP
FrankXK8
Drives
XKR
The W124s are nice. Theres a clean one lives round the corner from me at a pretty nice house and it genuinely doesn't look out of place. Absolutely timeless and they were well engineered.

I'd go for pre facelift 300E (3.0 I6 petrol) if you could find one. It won't be cheap but it wont depreciate either.
I used to have a 230CE a few years ago, loved it and always hankered after a bigger version of the same, so I am not ruling it out

1605788168538.png

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy

My uncle has an old W124 estate lying in his yard. Needs restoring but it would be class to save it, super rare 300TE 4matic