Resetting ECU

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Ive a few bolt on mods on my engine and a couple about to go on, namely a BMC kit and larger throttle body.

Im told that resetting the ECU is a good idea (done by disconnecting the battery for an hour) as it lets the ECU learn how best to cope with the new mods, especially if driven hard for the first few miles after resetting.

I can kind of see how this would help but Im not convinced, can anyone reassure me this is a sensible thing to do or are half the members of FFOC going mad??

Bryan

RMS Regular
Sounds like a good idea to me.

The ECU will "learn" new settings based upon the engine configuration when it's booted up again after disconnecting the battery. Therefore I can understand how this would be a good idea when adding mods. I'm no expert though so don't take my word for it.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
brendy said:
cant see how a stock ecu can take notice and use a larger plenum without throwing up some errors.

thats why Im asking the question as Im not sure myself how beneficial it can be.

however nobody has ever reported any error codes, apart from when the larger throttle body isnt installed correctly and results in a vacuum leak!

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Heard a few people talk about this before, but I cant see how the ecu can account for your mods without a re-map. The ecu only reads values sent by the sensors then uses a big complicated map to work out how to actuate controllers for your engine. Dunno how it would do this any differently if you plug it out and leave it 4 a while.
For better expert advice try speaking to the guys on the forum at www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk These guys are pro's a serial programming ecu's and how ecu's work.

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
I did this reset thing on my old Corsa after i added my induction kit and backbox, and it worked a treat, it smoothed out the powerband and made the delivery less peaky. I dunno how much this would help with a more complicated engine, and depending on the mods you have, it would make more or less difference.
I worked for me, it couldnt hurt to try it...... you sure that disconnecting the battery would reset the ECU in a focus?

Emmy

it might make a bit of a difference but if you are doing huge mods u probably should remap the ecu, its always a good idea thought if you replace something on the car like a sensor, which i did and had to reset the ecu, dunno about mods.

Yeungster

for an air filter and exhaust, just reset the ECU anyway. For major engine mods eg cams, headwork etc etc etc, get a chip of independant management system

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
LOL just spunked me load on a bmc, larger throttle body and light weight pulleys, cant afford a chip right now! :lol:

But cheers I may as well reset it anyway and fleece her afterwards for a few miles, some FFOC'ers have recommended it, I cant see it really doing any harm either way....

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
By reseting an ecu, you could be erasing coding and programmed settings which mean that the ecu would not work properly when you plug it in again or worse may not let the car start at all.
Check with a Ford Master Technician to make sure this is safe.

Emmy

it will just go back to factory default so unless he had something programmed into it he shouldnt have anythign to worry about.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
RMS_CLK said:
By reseting an ecu, you could be erasing coding and programmed settings which mean that the ecu would not work properly when you plug it in again or worse may not let the car start at all.
Check with a Ford Master Technician to make sure this is safe.

its perfectly fine. the ECU has its maps already on board and you cant alter or erase them by re-setting it.

and yes on some cars it does work.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Im not talking about maps or any of that stuff. Im not a ford technician so im not sure how this works on his car, but on VAG cars the ecu has readiness codes which would be erased. They controll the lambda system. There are also basic settings which could be erased such as throttle full open and full closed positions. There is coding which tells the engine ecu what chassis its in and what gearbox its connected to and last but definitley not least, the ecu is coded to the dashboard and immobiliser.
Like I say I would rather check with a master technician that this is ok to do than risk loosing all this data. Ok?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Emmy said:
it will just go back to factory default so unless he had something programmed into it he shouldnt have anythign to worry about.
Factory settings? Which factory? The ecu factory or the vehicle factory? Think about it the ecu has other data in it specific to the vehicle its in.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
by re-setting the ecu we're talking about disconnecting the battery and draing power from the cars electrical system. are you telling me that doing this will cause problems on a car? so Fords cant disconnect the battery for any length of time? ok?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
I didnt say that would or wouldnt cause probs. All I said is that he wud be better to check with someone who knows what theyre talking about just incase.

errigle

RMS Regular
This is totally safe to do, without doing it your ecu is just using all the pre-programmed limits that have been installed on it, by resetting it'll take into account the new mods added run better, i haven't explained this very well at all (cant think of the right words right now) but trust me its grand to do it

wheres Mr Gault?? He'll be the man to explain it properly

Mr 106

RMS Regular
you'll only reset the "mild" variations in the car's map that occur through usage as the ecu attempts to optmise fuel/performance for the driver's style - back to the out of the factory starting point.

stop being a pussy and get it remapped.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
all things come in good time daz lad, need cams first before i get it all mapped!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.