Restoring dull cloudy headlights

Discussion in 'Car Care' started by RoniN, Sep 8, 2013.

1. pablo RMS Moderator

pablo
    duct tape seems a bit overkill for masking lol but superb work bet the owners are well chuffed

2. RoniN RMS Regular

RoniN
    Drives:
    ______
    All I had handy.

Cheers

3. pablo RMS Moderator

pablo
    given Mk5 golfs reputation with front wings you might have took a chunk off with the tape :grinning:

SMURF1, RoniN and Woodcutter like this.
  4. RoniN RMS Regular

RoniN
    Drives:
    ______
    Since photobucket stopped working there's no photos on the 1st post, I can't edit the 1st post.
    Can it be set so I could edit the post and put links to the photos again?

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. weeloaney RMS Regular

weeloaney
    Drives:
    Mazda 3 MPS AERO
    Be careful, it can easily pull paint/clearcoat Off

led, SMURF1 and RoniN like this.
  6. Gareth RMS Regular

Gareth
    Drives:
    FastBikeSlowCar
    I'm going to be tackling the headlights on the Civic soon and a few questions before I start.

After sanding, I'm guessing a Rupes yellow pad with some M105 is enough to polish out the sanding marks. Do I need to refine the cutting? Is a UV clear coat necessary for long term results?

7. Gareth RMS Regular

Gareth
    Drives:
    FastBikeSlowCar
    Anyone??? ^^^^^^

8. -Pete- RMS Regular

-Pete-
    im not sure about the pad combo since I would be using older stuff but it differs between lights and age of them. Older cars which have had way more uv exposure, the lights I have found have clouded up again quicker than newer ones.
    ideally you would want to protect them with something after polishing but I've never bothered. Usually once every couple of years is enough to keep them sharp.
    my current cars headlights are from 2007 and they're still crystal clear. I've always found honda to have very soft lights that need to be done nearly once a year to keep them from yellowing or clouding up.

Gareth likes this.
  9. Gareth RMS Regular

Gareth
    Drives:
    FastBikeSlowCar
    The CRV (2012) is in great condition, but the Civic (2004) really need doing. My dilemma is either ceramic coat them and just upkeep the maintenance of them or get a UV clear coat and never worry about it again.

10. Crow555 RMS Regular

Crow555
    Drives:
    Integra R DC5
    I was going to attempt to do them myself using the 3M kit and some UV polish that needs reapplied every 6 months.

In the end I was getting the front bumper resprayed and the guy offered to sand and relacquer them for £100. It brought them up quite a bit even if they aren't perfect but he reckons the inside is at fault there, not the outside.

11. weeloaney RMS Regular

weeloaney
    Drives:
    Mazda 3 MPS AERO
    The plastic can get damaged all the way through so sometimes impossible to get them perfect

12. Crow555 RMS Regular

Crow555
    Drives:
    Integra R DC5
    Yep, I agree. But for £100 versus £270 for a new set of headlights, I'm not gonna complain.

weeloaney likes this.
  13. weeloaney RMS Regular

weeloaney
    Drives:
    Mazda 3 MPS AERO
    Oh I understand, was just kinda confirming that it’s possible the insides damaged like he said.

I polished up ford ones last week and could see damaged inside the plastic lense

Crow555 likes this.
  14. Gareth RMS Regular

Gareth
    Drives:
    FastBikeSlowCar
    My issue isn't the outside of the light, it's inside...

20190212_181235.jpg
    20190212_182856.jpg
    20190212_183532.jpg
    20190212_190331.jpg

Cracks on the inside ffs

20190212_190626.jpg

15. weeloaney RMS Regular

weeloaney
    Drives:
    Mazda 3 MPS AERO