Retention/V5/Tax Query

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Picked up a new (second hand) car today and the dealer gave me the full V5. Usually I get the new keeper supplement and have to wait until the V5 arrives in our name to get the latest document reference number to use to assign a reg from retention cert. however because this current V5 is the latest, can I assign the number now before I send the V5 off for change of ownership? It'll just save 2 weeks or whatever wait for the new V5 before I can do it! Just not sure about assigning the reg when it's still not in our name.

If there's any doubt that it won't work, then I'll just wait.

Haven't taxed it yet either, but need to tomorrow. It'll obviously be easier to do it before I assign the reg. The dealer said the PO no longer require proof of insurance, is this true? We've no printer to print the cover note out just.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Or do it via snail mail where you tax the car, assign the reg and change ownership all in one go

J55NI

RMS Regular
Strange they gave you the full book as they really shouldn't have :confounded:. Go with the above advice though and register in your name then transfer the reg over . Ps the Post office still require insurance certificate to be presented or they will refuse as I seen this week :grinning:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
plus if you do the transfer online now, then the book you have is outdated and you will have to wait one a new one coming out to change ownership, which as said above will go to previous keeper.
if you change ownership online, then new v5 should be out in less than a week anyway!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Forgot about doing it online. Just noticed section 9 has been removed.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Probably won't be able to do it online to Tuesday now though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Great!

With no post it might be quicker to wait and do it online then.

What does section 9 contain? Dealer export or something?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Id chance it in the morning and see how it goes, bit near sure it can just be done Monday-Friday.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Just be careful if said dealer has filled in section 9 and posts it off, it would have Decembers date for when you purchased and could be liable for a tax fine. Happened a friend who was trying to do the same thing :grinning:.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Dug the paperwork out last night, that sounds like the easiest option.

If the name and address don't match (V5 will be in the wife's name and we've moved house since) do I need to put her as a nominee on the retention cert?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I doubt it will work online though because there was a break in tax of a few days.

KevM

RMS Regular
Dug the paperwork out last night, that sounds like the easiest option.

If the name and address don't match (V5 will be in the wife's name and we've moved house since) do I need to put her as a nominee on the retention cert?

Yes, just match the new keeper & nominee

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
What's the turnaround like for getting the V5 back when you buy a car these days?

I want to put my plate on the Impreza.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.