Retrofit freeview 2011 E70 X5?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Has anyone done this? Looking at one tomorrow but don’t think it has the didigital tv option. Is it possible to retrofit this keeping the existing screen etc or does it require a new module? It also has factory rear screen so ideally would want if going through it as well. I think you can enable the option on the range rovers of the same age but haven’t been able to find much on the X5’s

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
It will come with a CIC iDrive, you don't need to replace that. Thats the head unit and the screen

What you need is to replace the diversity module in the rear of the car - Basically splits the various signals coming from the shark fin - FM, DAB, TV etc and routes the to the correct places.

The diversity come in 3 types:

FM Only
FM & DAB
FM, DAB & TV

You will then need the TV module, takes the signal from the diversity module and then sends it to the CIC.

You will need the mounting bracket for the TV module and the associated wiring then just a case of coding it to the car. I remember reading it can cost approx 300-500 to retrofit depending on where you get the parts and if you do it as a DIY.

Loggie

RMS Regular
OP
Loggie
Drives
Sierra
That’s brilliant @AlpineF30 thanks so much for the info!

There’s one for breaking down the road from me going to see if it has the freeview fitted. Any way of easily distinguishing the 3 types of diversity module?

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
No problem :grinning:

Yeah the easiest way to distinguish is the amount of connectors the diversity module has.

If it has one connection then it will be an FM diversity module

I am looking at doing the TV retrofit on my E92.

It only came with FM so this is the diversity that is fitted

If I want to do the TV retrofit I need the following diversity module

Notice the two extra connectors for DAB and TV? I think the green one(Don't quote me on it) is the TV which will then run to the TV module in the boot which will then connect to the MOST bus and send it to the head unit.

Also as @Lyons said it was an option which was very rare, even on the 3 series a FM only diversity is a tenner. A TV one is 150 quid.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.