reviving faded paint

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
gonna buy a silverline polisher as recommended by brendy and some g3 for the scratches.

however, the bumpers on my mums puma are yellow and very faded. what polish should i buy (locally) that will bring them back up to their proper colour!?

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
use the polisher and use farcela (sp) g3 with plenty of water ...then go over it with machine glaze (g10) and then id finish it off with some autoglym super resin polish ...should bring them up rightly ..yellow fades like mad so you need to stay on top of it with a regular polish/wax

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Autoglym Bodyshop Fine Abrasive first, then 3M Finesse It on a soft sponge head at about 2500rpm. Then hand polish . Thats what I'm using at the minute on a very faded red Nissan

miniator

RMS Regular
OP
miniator
Drives
'72 Mini
ok cheers guys.

when going over it the first time with the 3g/fine abrasive.....which sponge head should i use?

brendy

RMS Regular
miniator use a soft/medium sponge to start with so you get a feel for how quickly it cuts through the old surface. Generally compound spnges are harder and polishing spongeheads are softer, it takes a little getting used to. What I did was use the rotary lightly with water and g3 then wipe it clean to see how the surface was looking, theres no point going at it hammer and tongs to find you have went through the paint, softly softly etc.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Keep the head damp as well (use an old spray bottle). Helps prevent heat build up

brendy

RMS Regular
lol ive got an old fairy bottle for that job, if the g3 gets too dry its like using tooth paste and cant be good for paintwork, loads of water and remember to tape off your windows and black bits as they will get some spatter on them.

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
use 3m trizact compound and no water. the g3 is crap. its roughly the same price. a good coat of 3m imperial machine glaze on top of that to remove any compounding marks and you're laughing. you may need to run over the paint with 3000grit wet on a d/a first to remove any scratches, though you need to be careful with this!

then i would polish it by hand with something like carbrite's black pearl and finish with a good coat of wax.

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
im not saying it doesn't, just that it is rubbish compared to other products out there. if you try the trizact you will never buy g3 again

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.