RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

GaryC200

RMS Regular
Drives
s14a
Anyone went for a 6m x 4m prefab shed for storing a car? Tight for space and looking to know if a shed that size is suitable?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
If it's built like their kitchens, I'd say it's a hard pass.
I’ve been using ikea kitchen cupboards, wall mounted high and low, in my garage for a few years now, and I thought it was a great investment. The worktop is very solid, I’ve my vice, bench grinder etc mounted onto it and use it for hammering stuff on, no issues at all!

@shortier1919 looking at the size of that inside, I’m wondering if my choice of 12m x 7m is excessive ^o)
Can I ask why you involved BC?

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@shortier1919 looking at the size of that inside, I’m wondering if my choice of 12m x 7m is excessive ^o)

Might be no reference at all as to why Shortier got BC involved but I had a neighbour put a complaint in regarding Noah`s Ark that I was building and both Planning and Building Control came out and told me to take it down for a number of reasons so I asked the question if I replace the Ark with a Prefab Garage would what be the out come and they told me to work away as I was right on the limit`s permitted. However a friend built something similar to mine and he had to fire protect it and plaster before they would pass his for building I didn't have to do any of this.

The Ark
IMG_8132.jpeg

The Replacement

IMG_1002.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Might be no reference at all as to why Shortier got BC involved but I had a neighbour put a complaint in regarding Noah`s Ark that I was building and both Planning and Building Control came out and told me to take it down for a number of reasons so I asked the question if I replace the Ark with a Prefab Garage would what be the out come and they told me to work away as I was right on the limit`s permitted. However a friend built something similar to mine and he had to fire protect it and plaster before they would pass his for building I didn't have to do any of this.

The Ark
View attachment 429174

The Replacement

View attachment 429177View attachment 429178
Thanks for taking time to reply. My application has been sent to planning for planning permission as I am getting my garden extended to take in the new land I bought and it’s all just being done at the same time. What I’m getting is a prefab shed too, I think there would be zero issues with BC as it’s all been engineered to correct spec.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I’ve been using ikea kitchen cupboards, wall mounted high and low, in my garage for a few years now, and I thought it was a great investment. The worktop is very solid, I’ve my vice, bench grinder etc mounted onto it and use it for hammering stuff on, no issues at all!

12m x 7m is fine imo. If I was to do it again I'd move the 2 outer doors towards the middle by 0.5m or I'd have gone 14m x 7m and put 4 doors on while still moving the outer doors inward.

This is it just after completion, it's now covered in solar panels.

Photo_6553703_DJI_103_jpg_4132269_0_202213013488_photo_original.jpg

shortier1919

RMS Regular

It wasn't by choice a neighbour reported it so then once it was started I had to put in an application due to being over 35sqm and over 8ft. Was a complete pain if I knew that from the start I would of built the shed out of heavier steel etc

saxo_man

RMS Regular
It wasn't by choice a neighbour reported it so then once it was started I had to put in an application due to being over 35sqm and over 8ft. Was a complete pain if I knew that from the start I would of built the shed out of heavier steel etc
Cheers, glad now I’ve put in a proper application, so don’t have to worry about neighbours.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken

The Ark

Within a metre of the boundary it has to be non-combustible iirc. Had the same problem at our last house trying to roof across lean-to style onto the wooden boundary fence.