RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I'm actually starting to obsess over this now and driving my poor wife round the bend.
I'm actually considering building internal walls to create a cavity if it's even possible?
I hate being fussy but if something isn't 100% right it drives me mental

Dry line the walls. Insulation is built in to the plasterboard. Skim and paint

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I'm actually starting to obsess over this now and driving my poor wife round the bend.
I'm actually considering building internal walls to create a cavity if it's even possible?
Jesus no harm to you but you need help. Get out and hoke the balls off that RS. Park it up with gutters hanging off it and rusty discs won’t even feature. Or sell it and then they won’t annoy you either. Everything is right. It’s condensation. It will happen a few times a year. Rusty discs will disappear within a mile of driving. Relax.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

Nope. You’d be building off the slab which is ground bearing and probably not designed to take the edge loading. If you are considering anything, look at dry lining solutions such as insulated plasterboard.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Jesus no harm to you but you need help. Get out and hoke the balls off that RS. Park it up with gutters hanging off it and rusty discs won’t even feature. Or sell it and then they won’t annoy you either. Everything is right. It’s condensation. It will happen a few times a year. Rusty discs will disappear within a mile of driving. Relax.
Oh I hear ya buddy and I know I'm being OTT about it, it's not just about keeping the car good it's about it being right.
And I also understand it's only a car etc and very little to no harm will come of it but what can I say, I'm programmed this way.

Weird thing is if my wife came home and said she kerbed every wheel I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought lol

Edit: plus I'm in a proper **** mood this week which doesn't help things

Last edited:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
For anyone looking at using a dehumidifier make sure you seal your garage up fairly well otherwise you will only be pulling fresh moist air in to the garage rather than dehumidifying the volume that's in it and not drying out the construction / cars.

Last edited:

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
H2 did a shed for my uncle as well before Christmas,they didn’t use any of the foam fillers in the gaps at the ridge or where the walls meet the roof and floor which I though was sloppy,don’t think it’s the issue with your floor but check if your shed has them in

No, we asked for foam infills but they were reluctant to supply them. Then said they would provide them and I could fit them myself at a later date. On the day the shed went up they didn't bring them and told me they would post them the next day. Still havnt seen them.

A bit of condensation is understandable and expected. Not fecking puddles

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
No, we asked for foam infills but they were reluctant to supply them. Then said they would provide them and I could fit them myself at a later date. On the day the shed went up they didn't bring them and told me they would post them the next day. Still havnt seen them.

A bit of condensation is understandable and expected. Not fecking puddles

Told my uncle the same,load of bollocks,they should have been fitted when building the shed

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Have to say, the condensation is an issue I didn’t want ever again, I remember when I had just bought my site and had nowhere to live I was renting a very old house, old garage and full of moisture, had one off my cars in it at the time for a few months just sitting, the moisture caused small micro bubbles to form in the paintwork (only on the sills) spent hours pooping them and doing my best to touch up! Lucky it’s was a textured surface.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
They told me they're easily fitted after. My uncle works in Brett Martin. He got my dad some ifills for a green house that just push in

There supposed to fit below the tin before it’s screwed down,only way to do it now is to cut them down and put them in each gap 8o|

Naith

RMS Member
They are easily fitted its just a foam filler piece that pushes in between the tin and ridge - one of mine disappeared possibly blew back into the ridge i used a bit of pipe insulation instead lol.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
There supposed to fit below the tin before it’s screwed down,only way to do it now is to cut them down and put them in each gap 8o|

This! Mine isn't an H2 shed but it's pretty much the same thing and mine were supplied with the shed - My dad and I built it and to put them in right they have to go in before the roof is screwed down or they don't stay in right and are useless.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Oh I hear ya buddy and I know I'm being OTT about it, it's not just about keeping the car good it's about it being right.
And I also understand it's only a car etc and very little to no harm will come of it but what can I say, I'm programmed this way.

Weird thing is if my wife came home and said she kerbed every wheel I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought lol

Edit: plus I'm in a proper **** mood this week which doesn't help things
OCD is terrible, I have it too :joy:

Cold air is actually drier than warm air as is can hold less moisture, that's why it condenses onto cold surfaces like steel. I remember walking into my dry garage 8 year's ago to see my perfect Porsche Boxster soaking, water was actually beading down the doors8o|

I know 2 guys that keep classic cars under a big carport with no walls so out of the rain but exposed to everything else therefore the air keeps moving and doesn't condense.

I know another guy just keeps his 3 horribly expensive future classics in carcoons as they sit in a big purpose built, but unheated or dried, metal shed.

Solution.....
move to California or
get a central heated garage or
Keep the car in the big bag or
Put up with it
OR...….....buy a carbon fibre car like a Zonda:laughing:

Last edited:

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
OCD is terrible, I have it too :joy:

Cold air is actually drier than warm air as is can hold less moisture, that's why it condenses onto cold surfaces like steel. I remember walking into my dry garage 8 year's ago to see my perfect Porsche Boxster soaking, water was actually beading down the doors8o|

I know 2 guys that keep classic cars under a big carport with no walls so out of the rain but exposed to everything else therefore the air keeps moving and doesn't condense.

I know another guy just keeps his 3 horribly expensive future classics in carcoons as they sit in a big purpose built, but unheated or dried, metal shed.

Solution.....
move to California or
get a central heated garage or
Keep the car in the big bag or
Put up with it
OR...….....buy a carbon fibre car like a Zonda:laughing:
@mike150 i take it you just accept the dampness now?
Dam them Californians just have it all don't they lol

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
@mike150 i take it you just accept the dampness now?
Dam them Californians just have it all don't they lol
Earthquakes!!!

I keep the windows on the first catch, run a wee heater now and again and if its really cold and damp leave the doors open in the garage.

A dehumidifier is only any good if the garage is very well sealed for draughts otherwise you'll just be dehumidifying Northern Ireland

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
This! Mine isn't an H2 shed but it's pretty much the same thing and mine were supplied with the shed - My dad and I built it and to put them in right they have to go in before the roof is screwed down or they don't stay in right and are useless.
True. I saw a shed had them fitted afterwards and the birds sat and pulled them all out, then built nests in the gaps.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Typical me I've now calmed myself right down, took a step back and basically caught myself on to realise I'm obsessing about sweet FA:joy:

I tend to do this with things, obsess about it for a day or 2 then suddenly realise it just not that important and there are far more worse things to worry about in life, I'm healthy etc etc so wise up

Be thankful I have a garage that keeps things dry 35? Ish days of the year, and the other handful of days that there's a bit of condensation man up and take it lol

Obsession over, thanks for the support(y)

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Just to throw a spanner in the works... a few small pc fans would keep air moving and reduce chances for condensation to settle?

That’s how the air chambers work

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Typical me I've now calmed myself right down, took a step back and basically caught myself on to realise I'm obsessing about sweet FA:joy:

I tend to do this with things, obsess about it for a day or 2 then suddenly realise it just not that important and there are far more worse things to worry about in life, I'm healthy etc etc so wise up

Be thankful I have a garage that keeps things dry 35? Ish days of the year, and the other handful of days that there's a bit of condensation man up and take it lol

Obsession over, thanks for the support(y)

Lucky you, I'm still F***ked off.lol

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Lucky you, I'm still F***ked off.lol
In fairness yours was a hell of a lot worse, I had some condensation on a few metal objects, you had a lake:laughing:

Brother in law has one like yours and never like that so I'd imagine someone has fudged up somewhere which in this country is pretty standard and usually accepted Unfortunatly

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
The boy who laid the base got back to me, he was fairly helpful. He said there is a chance it's the base drying out but it's more than likely a fault in the shed as he's never seen one as bad before. Then after that H2 sheds got back to me and just blamed the base drying out from the word go. It's been dry all night but when I was locking up about 20 mins ago I noticed 1 or 2 dark patches appearing. So most likely it is the base drying. Still fecked of that everything was soaked.lol

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
How long does it take for the base to fully dry out?
It will depend on temperature mostly but also the quality/age of cement used. Technically the base doesn’t “dry” out, if the mix was right, the cement and water are reacting until all water used up.