RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

avsd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes/C350Est
Typical me I've now calmed myself right down, took a step back and basically caught myself on to realise I'm obsessing about sweet FA:joy:

I tend to do this with things, obsess about it for a day or 2 then suddenly realise it just not that important and there are far more worse things to worry about in life, I'm healthy etc etc so wise up

Be thankful I have a garage that keeps things dry 35? Ish days of the year, and the other handful of days that there's a bit of condensation man up and take it lol

Obsession over, thanks for the support(y)

Well said that man - "Be thankful ….." I think we all forget sometimes all the things we have to be thankful for. (y)

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
H2 told me 50 days, the boy who put the base down said it all depends. Some dry out in a week if the sun's belting on them. If its winter like mine was then months. I remember my dad saying it could take years in certain cases
Certainly could be months in the winter. Beating sun in the summer isn't idea either as the water can evaporate rather than react leaving at best a cracked base or worse, a dry weak mix. If laying in hot sunny conditions, best to cover and keep the surface damp.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Certainly could be months in the winter. Beating sun in the summer isn't idea either as the water can evaporate rather than react leaving at best a cracked base or worse, a dry weak mix. If laying in hot sunny conditions, best to cover and keep the surface damp.

We fecked up my uncles slab when we did it.
Sunny day and we decided to use up the leftover concrete by using it around the steps of the house. Spent way too much time doing the formwork for those that we forgot to wet the slab.... doh.
Few cracks in it, nothing major and it's only for storage so no real harm done. Lesson learnt though.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Dam them Californians just have it all don't they lol
Not really, they hate cars there don't they? Unless its something like a Tesla

a few small pc fans would keep air moving and reduce chances for condensation to settle?
I am wondering if this would work in a big garage. I had thought of having 4 small fans wired in when I extend my garage for some small airflow. I guess you would also need some small vents as well to let the air out in order to get proper airflow?

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Can't have aftermarket exhaust systems in California anymore and their emission laws are crap too

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Can't have aftermarket exhaust systems in California anymore and their emission laws are crap too

Except you can have an aftermarket exhaust, it's only non-CARB-approved excessively loud systems that are likely to draw attention and result in fines by the police. I'm not surprised, some of the stuff driving around was utterly ridiculous in terms of noise levels. The emissions laws in california never posed an issue for me, cars passed smog checks with no issues and at least 4 of them were 300+ bhp. If you lived in the greater LA area you'd understand the need for stricter emissions legislation.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I am wondering if this would work in a big garage. I had thought of having 4 small fans wired in when I extend my garage for some small airflow. I guess you would also need some small vents as well to let the air out in order to get proper airflow?

there is plenty of forced air ventilation units that will do this job properly.....usually unless it's a very small air tight room, you don't need to install exit vents.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
there is plenty of forced air ventilation units that will do this job properly.....usually unless it's a very small air tight room, you don't need to install exit vents.
Will look into this when the time comes.

Was originally planning on adding two big radiators to the garage, but when thinking about it I thought that would be a bad idea unless the heating was run constantly as there would be several air temperature changes throughout the day. I am correct in thinking this would would be bad in terms of moisture control?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden

Not really the sir chambers are fairly well sealed and with all the air ‘pushing’ from the back towards the front keeps it moving

They have s small zip flap u can open if the cars put away wet and release the moisture... I have one for the Calibra and works well

Have the fans and power sorted just need to actually sit down and solder and mount them in the cav garage to try em

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yes, the airchambers are designed to allow air flow through the zipped areas. Which thinking about it can't be that much and therefore a garage would probably already have sufficient flow.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah when chamber was built there was no pressure on it but when it’s been running a while the whole thing expands out

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Will look into this when the time comes.
Was originally planning on adding two big radiators to the garage, but when thinking about it I thought that would be a bad idea unless the heating was run constantly as there would be several air temperature changes throughout the day. I am correct in thinking this would would be bad in terms of moisture control?

Yep, it won't be super-effective. Rads in a relatively poorly insulated garage will simply result in large temperature swings when the heat is on/off and when the temperature drops the air will give up it's moisture as it is required to do so by the laws of physics. The perfect solution is to ensure good ventilation and keep the room constantly warmer. A few electric heaters or oil-filled radiators set on the thermostat might be better suited to raise the temp a few degrees. One of the nuaire forced ventilation ducts has an in-built heater so it warms fresh air as it forces it into the room.I know these work very well in homes with condensation issues so i'd assume they'd help in a reasonable sized garage.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yep, it won't be super-effective. Rads in a relatively poorly insulated garage will simply result in large temperature swings when the heat is on/off and when the temperature drops the air will give up it's moisture as it is required to do so by the laws of physics. The perfect solution is to ensure good ventilation and keep the room constantly warmer. A few electric heaters or oil-filled radiators set on the thermostat might be better suited to raise the temp a few degrees. One of the nuaire forced ventilation ducts has an in-built heater so it warms fresh air as it forces it into the room.I know these work very well in homes with condensation issues so i'd assume they'd help in a reasonable sized garage.
I think it would be expensive to heat a big triple garage all the time so probably better to just to try and keep the garage unheated but control the temperature changes with proper airflow management and only heat it when I'm in there working.

One of the nuaire forced ventilation ducts has an in-built heater so it warms fresh air as it forces it into the room.I know these work very well in homes with condensation issues so i'd assume they'd help in a reasonable sized garage.
Sounds good but what are the running costs?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Posted this on the Building a House thread but thought it might be more relevant here:

Does anyone here have experience with water pumps?

My house has low water pressure due to being a long way from any main supply. So for certain things such as my garden water supply I have two big storage tanks in the loft above the garage and then an electric pump to provide pressure.

DSCF20751.jpg

I was hoping to upgrade the pump so I have a lot more pressure for washing cars and so on. As you can see the current pump is pretty small, it does an ok job but more flow and pressure would be so much better.

Not sure what I should be looking for though so hoping some on here know more:

Should it be something like this

Clarke CPE20A1 Industrial Self Priming Water Pump (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Quite a choice:
Industrial Electrical Centrifugal Pumps - Machine Mart

or there are cheaper options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BuoQua-Stainless-Centrifugal-Self-priming-Pressure/dp/B07F1SBP9J

Or should it be something else entirely?

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
I'm nearly finished sorting some heat for my garage and that big blue jobbie has fixed the totally ridiculous water pressure that I was getting. Think it's a 300 litre tank with a booster pump on the top. Not 100% sure what sort of price it was, just agreed an all-in price for the lot with the plumber a few months back and he's done it over the winter. Can find out the model number if it helps. Seems quiet enough (quieter than the plumbing in the old house anyway) and has transformed the pressure in the taps.

Attachments

• 20181027_121233.jpg
    20181027_121233.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 207

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That might be the sort of thing that the plumbers were taking about in relation to upgrading my whole heating and water system in the future.

Its not really what I'm going for right now though, but quite possibly in the future. For now all I really want is just a simple powerful pump for garden use and primarily car washing.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
A grundfos or salamander positive head pump should work. the newer ones are quiet and can boost low water pressure to >1.5 bar which is decent.

Last edited:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Have you got the spec on the current pump? too much pressure and you can break pipes. too much flow and you either wont get the benefit because head loss will restrict it or else you will drain your break tank too quick. What sort of piping size and distance have you got between your pump and your outlet where you wash cars? assuming you use a domestic hose rather than a pressure washer, a 3/4" hose (19mm) will help instead of the more typical 1/2" (15mm) as these are very restrictive. Alternatively, hook up a pressure washer.

RCT

RMS Regular
Posted this on the Building a House thread but thought it might be more relevant here:

Does anyone here have experience with water pumps?

My house has low water pressure due to being a long way from any main supply. So for certain things such as my garden water supply I have two big storage tanks in the loft above the garage and then an electric pump to provide pressure.

DSCF20751.jpg

I was hoping to upgrade the pump so I have a lot more pressure for washing cars and so on. As you can see the current pump is pretty small, it does an ok job but more flow and pressure would be so much better.

Not sure what I should be looking for though so hoping some on here know more:

Should it be something like this

Clarke CPE20A1 Industrial Self Priming Water Pump (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Quite a choice:
Industrial Electrical Centrifugal Pumps - Machine Mart

or there are cheaper options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BuoQua-Stainless-Centrifugal-Self-priming-Pressure/dp/B07F1SBP9J

Or should it be something else entirely?

I’d enquire with these guys www.dps-ni.com

They did a tank and pump system for me as I’m up on a hill and water pressure is poor, despite me running a new 32mm pipe the whole way up my fields from the water metre.

At least they are local in Ni. My pressure is 3.5-3.8 bar now on the digital gauge when in use.

I’ve no problems with pressure dropping and can use a pressure washer now.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I’d enquire with these guys www.dps-ni.com

They did a tank and pump system for me as I’m up on a hill and water pressure is poor, despite me running a new 32mm pipe the whole way up my fields from the water metre.

At least they are local in Ni. My pressure is 3.5-3.8 bar now on the digital gauge when in use.

I’ve no problems with pressure dropping and can use a pressure washer now.

They wouldnt really deal with domestic but give them a try. Speak to Gareth, hes a good mate of mine.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I’ve a salamander pump, boosts both bathrooms, first lasted 14 years and just replaced it last year as it leaked, great job for the high pressures taps!

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Hi there fellas, looking at a house that had a 24ft by 18 ft garage. It’s pretty much a blank canvas but wondered if anyone had a similar dimensioned garage to see what they’ve done with the place?