RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Quite like the sound of the spray stuff instead of arsing about cutting sheets but will have to look into it. For me its just to stop the condensation, not bothered about heat
Cross ventilation is what you need if you’re not worried about heating the space. Keep air flowing through.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Im in the market for a prefab garage. I'm limited width wise at my house having approx 11feet to play with. Would this be wide enough for a car and abit of work space around it?

Has anyone any recommendations for companies to supply a garage, so far I have been in touch with randox and h2 buildings, awaiting quotes from them.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Im in the market for a prefab garage. I'm limited width wise at my house having approx 11feet to play with. Would this be wide enough for a car and abit of work space around it?

Has anyone any recommendations for companies to supply a garage, so far I have been in touch with randox and h2 buildings, awaiting quotes from them.

11 feet is just under 4 metres. Average car is around 1.8m wide so that leaves you able to open the door on each side and that is it.
DRS seem decent. Worth a quote.

Lee

RMS Regular
New shelves buzz...

20190719_202336.jpg

IMG-20190719-WA0002.jpeg

Snapchat-311628582.jpg

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Chaps I’m most likely going to start into wiring up my shed for electric fitting a consumer unit, lights and a ring of sockets(I’ll leave getting power from the house to the shed to a professional).

What I’m struggling with is what thickness of wire to use for the sockets, I was thinking 6mm but I’ve read that 2.5mm is perfect but my thoughts are that the 6mm would be better for the load on heavy machinery.

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Chaps I’m most likely going to start into wiring up my shed for electric fitting a consumer unit, lights and a ring of sockets(I’ll leave getting power from the house to the shed to a professional).

What I’m struggling with is what thickness of wire to use for the sockets, I was thinking 6mm but I’ve read that 2.5mm is perfect but my thoughts are that the 6mm would be better for the load on heavy machinery.

2.5 mm cable and wire it in a ring main. If you think you will have anything heavy to run, you could wire them on a circuit of there own.

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang

2.5mm in a ring for the sockets is grand. They usually only go up to 4mm if it’s a bigger length. If it’s a machine with a 13a plug then it will be fine plugged into a 2.5mm ring main.

If you are starting to go for welders etc which are 16a/20a etc then they need to be wired on a dedicated circuit with a bigger cable (would need to be sized based on length of circuit etc.)

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Thanks guys that’s perfect as I possibly will go for a welder down the line but I can install a socket for it at later date

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've been running my welder off a 2.5mm ring main for decades with no bother. If it has a 13A plug and fuse, that should be the weak link.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I’ll ask another question then, the armoured cable running from the house to the shed. What would you recommend for this as it would be running approx. 30metres?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I’ll ask another question then, the armoured cable running from the house to the shed. What would you recommend for this as it would be running approx. 30metres?
I’m no spark but I think I’ve 2.5mm high tough out to my shed.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i

I am definitely no spark but ok at following directs 😂 I would have thought that running table saws, lights, radio etc that that 2.5 wouldnt have coped and would surge when under load...possibly damaging the tools. Now that is just my theory, I don’t actually have anything to prove this would actually be the case other than I can see the stress on startup from running a table saw using a 20metre extension cable but that could be a number of issues unrelated.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

I’m no spark either but 2.5 def isn’t enough to run a full garage. It isn’t a ring main and 30m run. Tho it’s a shed so depends what your planning on plugging into it l aswell. A small heater can be 3kw

The 32amp hot tub requires 6mm.

Also you’d normally run a full garage on a 40 amp breaker.

I think I’ve either 10 or 16mm from the house to my old garage

I think the spark new garage will 16mm as it’s coming off the house supply. Can’t remember what he said was feeding the house but it’s only 100amp anyway.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I’m no spark either but 2.5 def isn’t enough to run a full garage. It isn’t a ring main and 30m run. Tho it’s a shed so depends what your planning on plugging into it l aswell. A small heater can be 3kw

The 32amp hot tub requires 6mm.

Also you’d normally run a full garage on a 40 amp breaker.

I think I’ve either 10 or 16mm from the house to my old garage

I think the spark new garage will 16mm as it’s coming off the house supply. Can’t remember what he said was feeding the house but it’s only 100amp anyway.
Sorry yes that cable is to my shed only running a few lights and sockets not for the garage. Hot Tub 👍😀

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
It will all depend on how much your looking to run from it, 10mm will run a fair bit but if going to the hassle now of putting a cable in I personally would use 16mm to future proof.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It will all depend on how much your looking to run from it, 10mm will run a fair bit but if going to the hassle now of putting a cable in I personally would use 16mm to future proof.
I'd be thinking future proof to include wiring that's big enough for a fairly fast electric car charger.