RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Been away for 3 weeks. Some progress made.

Her cousin is doing it in his spare time. Although he was at the golf all week.

Some amount of blocks to get the footing. That’s the outer wall starting and the cavity then there will be a block on it’s flat to support the bison slab floor

8C2AEEB2-39A8-4F9A-A74B-77A00E6551A9.jpeg

0C51BEF3-7C0C-4839-A104-CA7D11DE8C7D.jpeg

Last edited:

SlowRider

RMS Regular
What a disgrace, but in fairness we only moved in this week. It's a double garage with 1\3 floored loft space and a pit down one side.
The long term goal includes a home gym but first off we need to finish emptying boxes and get a shed for all the gardening stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_152346.jpg
    IMG_20190728_152346.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 110

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA

Ideas/thoughts on something like this for garage floor?

I'm still completely undecided what to do to my floor, I have a good bit of traffic in and out over it and the wee girl tends to do laps of it on her bike so I'm talking myself out of the foam tiles

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Ok, so my garage is a mess compared to the lovely stuff on here..... but I needed a distraction today, so this is it cleaned!!! And got the Jedi up on chassis stands.

Think it’s finally time to sell it.... at least it’s at a height I can manage to work on it... time someone else took on the giant slayer!!!!

F61F394A-7C66-44BB-B7F7-BF4A5647B943.jpeg

thefool1983

RMS Regular
No one ever told me about the pain of pushing electrical cable through conduit! My soul is destroyed but I got testing my socket ring and it worked!:grinning: So chuffed at wiring it and the consumer box correctly!
Theres a knack to it!
Making sure the two cables are perfectly flat. And sliding the conduit over the cables before mounting to the wall..

Bit late telling ya all this now tho I'm sure!!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
No one ever told me about the pain of pushing electrical cable through conduit! My soul is destroyed but I got testing my socket ring and it worked!:grinning: So chuffed at wiring it and the consumer box correctly!
Try pulling it through with a fish tape. Far easier.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Another step closer to proper power. An electrician is coming out next week to run a cable to a weatherproof junction box on the rear of the house which means I can work away at getting some armoured cable buried at a later date and just connect the house to the shed with minimal fuss!

I was tempted to do this bit myself but I thought better of it, as I’d rather not accidentally drop through something or set my house on fire.

Next mission is to start ply lining the inside of the shed, was going to insulate it but can’t really see the benefit of doing it but I’m willing to be talked into it.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Another step closer to proper power. An electrician is coming out next week to run a cable to a weatherproof junction box on the rear of the house which means I can work away at getting some armoured cable buried at a later date and just connect the house to the shed with minimal fuss!

I was tempted to do this bit myself but I thought better of it, as I’d rather not accidentally drop through something or set my house on fire.

Next mission is to start ply lining the inside of the shed, was going to insulate it but can’t really see the benefit of doing it but I’m willing to be talked into it.
Insulation means it wont bake you in the summer and keeps it warmer in winter if you use a heater.
Far less temperature fluctuation means less or no condensation so less chance of rusty tools.
Even doing the roof makes quite a difference.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
B059E2B6-102E-4480-BF34-4623D91E6FBD.jpeg

Moved into the new house, which came with a 24.5ft x 18ft garage. There’s also a 8ft by 2.5ft “tool store” in one of the doors at the back and a toilet in the other.

Hit me with some inspiration, would really love to run some more sockets and lights around the place, paint the walls and potentially epoxy the floor.

Any inspiration welcome! Thanks

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
some insulation bought and got my plywood for lining the place. I had a little bit more wiring to do and then I'll get stuck in to the lining, didn't have a chance over the weekend to get near it sadly...too busy doing odd jobs for other people!
20190804_192301.jpg
20190804_192257.jpg

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Tam9n Basics first, get it painted while it's empty and it also means you aren't trying to paint behind surface conduit after the wiring has been done.
Great looking garage! (y) (y)

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
finished the electric side of things, ran some speaker cable so I can run speakers inside and outside the shed for Summer Summer Summertime!

So started into insulation. hopefully get that finished tomorrow when start into ply lining.

20190806_205908.jpg

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Today started badly with no end in sight and my shed looking like a ****hole.
20190817_153209.jpg

but 9hours later of finishing off the endless little jobs, I got my ply lining up and I'm rather chuffed! A few balls ups along the way and I need to tidy rough areas up but I'm delighted with my work! Now to paint and put some rubber tiles down and I'll call that done...for now!

20190817_212041.jpg

20190817_212127.jpg

20190817_212056.jpg
20190817_212048.jpg
20190817_212132.jpg

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
View attachment 247350

but 9hours later of finishing off the endless little jobs, I got my ply lining up and I'm rather chuffed! A few balls ups along the way and I need to tidy rough areas up but I'm delighted with my work! Now to paint and put some rubber tiles down and I'll call that done...for now!

View attachment 247349
View attachment 247351
View attachment 247352View attachment 247353View attachment 247354

Seriously impressive work you've done there! How much time have you invested in that so far?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Seriously impressive work you've done there! How much time have you invested in that so far?

I’d say about 4 or 5 “working” days to get this far, I’m sure a competent person could have sorted it out in a day or two but this is the first time I’ve done something like this so it was very much trial and error.

I still have to purchase and lay the power cable from the house to the shed, the though of buying 300quids worth of armoured cable and cutting up the concrete outside my backdoor is making me feel a bit ill. 😂

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I’d say about 4 or 5 “working” days to get this far, I’m sure a competent person could have sorted it out in a day or two but this is the first time I’ve done something like this so it was very much trial and error.

I still have to purchase and lay the power cable from the house to the shed, the though of buying 300quids worth of armoured cable and cutting up the concrete outside my backdoor is making me feel a bit ill. 😂

That's awesome work mate. You'll stand back at some stage and be amazed at what you have achieved. Great job

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
View attachment 247350

View attachment 247349
View attachment 247351
View attachment 247352View attachment 247353View attachment 247354
That’s unreal mate. I can DIY and try my hand at most things but what you’ve done there I’d be lost. Same as building your tables etc.

I’ve to put some form of shelving into my van to carry a bit of stock and all I can think of is big ugly pigeon holes, as that’s the height of my ability so I’m dreading it.

Or else will buy some form of van shelving.

But that’s brilliant

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Putting a steel shed up. Concrete floor to be poured and powerfloated over the next few days.

Is there anything I should use to seal the concrete to help prevent oil staining?

I know epoxy is rated, but I can't afford it and don't like the idea of grinding a floor I've just had powerfloated.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Putting a steel shed up. Concrete floor to be poured and powerfloated over the next few days.

Is there anything I should use to seal the concrete to help prevent oil staining?

I know epoxy is rated, but I can't afford it and don't like the idea of grinding a floor I've just had powerfloated.
In my experience you dont need to if the powerfloating is done well.
Any spills Ive had - a quick wipe with a rag and a drop of petrol/brake cleaner and it all lifts easily enough.
The powerfloating creates a natural seal and oil does not get absorbed.

This includes the time I cracked the sump (oops 4 litres dirty oil everyehere) on the wifes car when the trolley Jack slipped! Wouldn't even know now!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
This includes the time I cracked the sump (oops 4 litres dirty oil everyehere) on the wifes car when the trolley Jack slipped! Wouldn't even know now!
Mine is floated and is wipe clean, although would hate to go through that. Did manage to pour the contents of a 200sx gearbox over @mattyc one time in my old place. It had a pit, and the box oil stank the place out!