RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Trying out an idea for flooring for my garage, bought 1 roll for now to see what it was like and the quality.

Totally not on for painting the floor, I dont think the tiles work well for manourving cars on so thought I'd give this a try plus it's easily cleaned.

1.6mx4m 4mm thick, just need another 9 rolls to fill my space lol

View attachment 251893
View attachment 251894
Looks well
Do you have a rough price?
What do you do with the joints?

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
This roll was £44. Not 100% sure what to do with the joints yet, I might not have to do anything with them hopefully. Well I'm going to try and see if they are grand just rolled out first

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Another 1000 blocks.

Using a lot of blocks, sand and cement with the inside wall being on it’s flat

47172F07-3E77-4728-A140-0E4A8D5DDBCC.jpeg
882EA491-76D0-4715-A00E-8DE883DF29E8.jpeg

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Why are you building them on there flat? Surely if the were like a house and on edge youd use way less!

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Not quite as grand as many of the garages on here, but removed all the fixings from the walls and filled about 50 holes and now 2 coats of brilliant white later. Happy with how it’s brightened up. Next up will be some sort of floor

EE043E2C-35EB-4A22-8269-6C49F5568644.jpeg

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Looks well.
What about plasterboarding the ceiling?
Would finish it off rightly

Not planning to atm, I’m using up above for storage, plus I keep having to remind myself that it’s just a garage lol.

I saw a few pages back someone did the ceiling with pvc and it looked well, so will prob go down that route eventually

-Pete-

RMS Regular

I only ask as I was planning to do the exact same thing you have done but a builder I would trust told me that I would need to leave a 50mm gap between the roof and my insulation (in my case I have bitumen based roof felt, not sure what you have on yours) to avoid damp and ensure proper ventilation.
I'm looking into 50mm kingspan rigid foam insulation because of this reason.

How long has yours been up? any issues or damp etc you can see? It could save me a small fortune if I just did it the same as yours instead of fannying about with foam board and battening out a 50mm air gap.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
The only reason you’d have insulation in between both the joists and trusses is if you plan to make the attic space a habitable room. Otherwise it’s pretty pointless and without adequate cross ventilation damp can set in. I’ve seen where attic spaces sweat because there’s no ventilation in houses. Can make a right mess

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
The only reason you’d have insulation in between both the joists and trusses is if you plan to make the attic space a habitable room. Otherwise it’s pretty pointless and without adequate cross ventilation damp can set in. I’ve seen where attic spaces sweat because there’s no ventilation in houses. Can make a right mess

What is the correct way? Obv with my garage I need to insulate the trusses as it will be habitable and plaster boarded etc and it isn’t possible to insulate anywhere else. The walls will be bonded bead insulation.

Would spray foam insulation be a good option?

30505F76-4DD2-43F1-8936-562DA126C069.png

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Habitable space needs heat. The heat will keep the moisture away just like a house does. Rapid ventilation will be through a roof light. Foam would be a good job yeh. Trying to google a good detail but can’t find a decent one

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Habitable space needs heat. The heat will keep the moisture away just like a house does. Rapid ventilation will be through a roof light. Foam would be a good job yeh. Trying to google a good detail but can’t find a decent one

The garage will be heated so that’s not an issue and has several sky lights for ventilation

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
I have mine like that over two years and it’s been perfect, now the attic bit is not closed in so here is air circulating too and there’s a big double radiator running off the boiler too

But absolutely no bother with damp moisture or sweating... bought a wee humidity monitor and it generally sits around 45-55% which I’m informed is good

Also anything stored up there doesn’t go soggy etc cardboard boxes hold their shape and feel

I’m more than happy with it

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
That looks superb and worth the money would you say? Is there enough flex in them to allow for a floor that has been floated would you say?

Time will tell I guess, I strongly considered putting epoxy down instead but even it seems to lift a bit over time so I didn’t want to have to re do it every few years. Plus they’re 7mm thick so will hopefully provide some insulation too from the floor.
I’m not sure how much flex you need but the tiles are fairly flexible, they’re not like a rigid plastic

-Pete-

RMS Regular
any reason you wouldn't go for a cow shed style building? just thinking from a cost and time perspective of getting a low level of bricks in and then sheeting the upper section then just build a mezzanine inside? or is it more about the aesthetic? I'd be going for as big as possible