RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Aye they can be a pain to get right but once they are in properly, they dont generally move. I've used thunderbolts a few times but I found them just as hit and miss as rawlbolts. All depends on how good the blocks are tbh.
Must look into the chemical anchors, got another bench to mount soon hopefully.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Aye they can be a pain to get right but once they are in properly, they dont generally move. I've used thunderbolts a few times but I found them just as hit and miss as rawlbolts. All depends on how good the blocks are tbh.
Must look into the chemical anchors, got another bench to mount soon hopefully.
I remember we were doing work for a certian lift company and they used thunder bolts to fit the guide rail brackets to the wall. Later on I heard that some of their engineers had to go round all the lifts and replace them with rawl bolts as some had started to work their way loose

neil-c

RMS Regular
Builders like thunder bolts because they're quick but they are the weakest rated fixing mechanism when you do any structural design calcs. Most industrial/commercial guys now want you to design with chemical anchors because they just need to drill the hole, stick in the resin and then fire in a threaded bar. Very simple when you get a run of them to do. We did work recently in an airport and they banned thunder bolts because they had so many failures.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
So chemical anchors seem to be the go to fixing it seems, rawl bolts and thunder bolts can break blocks and seen thunder bolts slip.

can chemical anchors be removed say if I need the door off for some odd reason?Like can the threaded bar be screwed out

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There would be a nut on the threaded bar to hold your frame. You might have to weld some on if your frames are metal (think they are?)

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
So chemical anchors seem to be the go to fixing it seems, rawl bolts and thunder bolts can break blocks and seen thunder bolts slip.

can chemical anchors be removed say if I need the door off for some odd reason?Like can the threaded bar be screwed out
I don’t think chemical anchors ever come out.
Don’t you use frame fixings for this type of stuff? They come as a big screw with a rawl plug attached. Never looked any further into them myself but I thought this is what they were for. Thunderbolts and chemical fixings seems a bit overkill but maybe your doors are particularly heavy. Another option is concrete screws rather than thunderbolts. They have a finer, sharper and more prominent thread so I imagine grip better. Countersunk heads with torx drive

Last edited:

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Nearly ready for the roof

C007F01D-C13D-4151-8C13-016834DFC5BE.jpeg

7E45600D-A77A-44FD-B1E8-42D2136F3A55.jpeg

E151ABD7-A680-4A01-A55C-8D41BA6C7A38.jpeg

E860E81D-13E4-4139-8063-818796A626C7.jpeg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Love the yellow, but prefer anthracite wheels on those those. Would look ever better on 15"s.

Ill let the builder know.

I was more concerned about getting the ****ing thing started for him last week (battery died in it and had to jump start it for him)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
One good thing about having a month off work due to covid-19 and dad also being closed is the time and peace and quiet to finally make progress on my new shed/garage.

one door fitted today, next one tomorrow which will hopefully get done quicker as now have all the tools there I need and know what to do

FEDA2318-1ED5-4D26-AB43-F0D8920AEBA5.jpeg

C88E9AFA-F074-47B8-B85E-817546844C22.jpeg
85ADC682-06DB-463D-AFA0-2BE24CFEB6DE.jpeg
DD910518-32D8-4EA7-AC70-2C2A10547BF7.jpeg
50895321-10D1-467D-AE9F-3FA10579AB87.jpeg

Jason

RMS Regular

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Nice door, where did you get it?
Best Choice Doors in Fermanagh. Not the cheapest but cheaper that pvc and very strong. The normal none fire exit one has 12 point locking or something :joy:

be easier for some to break in by just driving through the roller door

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Best Choice Doors in Fermanagh. Not the cheapest but cheaper that pvc and very strong. The normal none fire exit one has 12 point locking or something :joy:

be easier for some to break in by just driving through the roller door
Looking good
Have you got a roller door on yet?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I would really like to get some form of garage build, not sure I want to go to the expense of a brick one but at the same time I don’t want something that looks terrible at the side of the house.

Would be really interested in other options folks have used, approximate costs would be appreciated as well if possibl.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Got a price for the brick and plastering for about 2 grand for 6x3m might have to measure it out and go for 4m not 100% yet

Anyone able to give a rough price for roof, doors and foundations? Looking about now but obviously places are slow to get back to me about anything

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I rented a digger and dug the founds myself. Digger was 150 for a long weekend and concrete was 300 from memory.
Biggest issue is getting rid of the soil that you dig out. I was lucky that the garden closest to the founds needed a few large dips filled in. I reckon I put 9 tonnes into it after separating out the stones from it as I filled the barrows. I used the stones to backfill the walls once they had been brought up to dpc levels.
Nearly killed me though.