RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Think I’m going to go for 12 of these for downstairs. I prefer the strip leds compared to the tube type.

Should be more than enough giving me 100,800 lumens 😎

9897DC69-C783-4419-9DEB-41ABF14D8E98.png

8FB2EE7D-485E-45B5-A681-4DF26782053F.png

Chris0

RMS Regular
Deposit paid with Clonoe today and concrete guy sorted roll on 6 weeks

Took some pics of the show garage at Clonoe for guys who are interested in this sort of shed (I'm in no way affiliated to this guy):
What size did you go for mate?

I've to start writing my list of companies prices and quality. Then go view a couple of them.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
What size did you go for mate?

I've to start writing my list of companies prices and quality. Then go view a couple of them.
Went for 3.1 x 8.7 (this was best value for without breaking into another sheet and using a little from it) I'm really tight for width but have plenty of space for length which is unfortunate but hey ho it is what it is.

RevT

RMS Regular
Went for 3.1 x 8.7 (this was best value for without breaking into another sheet and using a little from it) I'm really tight for width but have plenty of space for length which is unfortunate but hey ho it is what it is.

3m will be very tight, I’m worried about my 4.25 x 7.5 being too tight.

RevT

RMS Regular
I have a few other things to do outside yet but want to put the head down soon and make sure I have it in and sorted for next summer as I’ve left it long enough already. It’ll be 4.25 at an absolute push, will have to do as I’ve no more room than that unfortunately.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
We had a 9x18ft garage in my parents place, it was a nightmare tbh. If you wanted to do a clutch change, the car had to be high enough to post the gearbox out through the passenger wheelarch and the side door of the garage so you could get enough space under the car to get in at the flywheel.
Still managed a fair bit of work in that garage though, I made up 6ft benches that were hinged off the walls so I had plenty of space for whatever I wanted to do.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
3m will be very tight, I’m worried about my 4.25 x 7.5 being too tight.
Yeah I know it is but it's all I have to work with, have abit of yard in front that is bit wider that I can pull stuff out into to work on if needs be

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
More updates.
Was able to get myself a halfords advanced tool box and accompanying modular trays.

went home and grabbed all my car cleaning stuff and any tools I had from my parents Felt old finally moving my stuff out as I’ve never had a garage before in my previous places.

Like how the modular trays work keeps everything neat and tidy

07DB1CA9-B816-46BF-98FF-F3A236A14B46.jpeg D00CBCCA-FF6D-48C3-877A-B66503FB1E2F.jpeg 69840194-DECC-4045-80A6-9F93B655AB1A.jpeg 8A32A06E-E25F-44C2-B61A-A629A2283997.jpeg F1ED947B-D754-48A0-966C-5AC0D30398DD.jpeg

And the final product

F9DE0B28-8A17-4AD8-9E9E-42517907AAB3.jpeg

MarkM

RMS Regular
More updates.
Was able to get myself a halfords advanced tool box and accompanying modular trays.

went home and grabbed all my car cleaning stuff and any tools I had from my parents Felt old finally moving my stuff out as I’ve never had a garage before in my previous places.

Like how the modular trays work keeps everything neat and tidy

View attachment 285799View attachment 285800View attachment 285801View attachment 285802View attachment 285803

And the final product

View attachment 285804

House, garage, work Bench, mower, proper adulting lol (y)

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon

I suppose the clue is in the name, but he'll give you a price for a custom size? A few folk I went to over the years only sold fixed sizes, when you mentioned a custom size the head got scratched lol.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
He seems to be able to make what ever you want from what I gather. I was originally going to get a 3.2x9m but he said if that if I scarificed .1 on width and .3 on length it would be alot cheaper and to be fair it was.

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
That's the start of my garage refurb underway.

It's a 20x20 garage, cavity wall, pitched roof and the oil boiler in there for indirect heat.

Plenty of cleaning, lighting, painting and wiring tweaks to do.

Can't see the picture in work, but I'm liking that based on the description alone lol.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Just gave that a quick watch, that's exactly the same size as my original garage that was at my current house. Good enough size but not really long enough back to front to be dragging large mechanical bits out of cars so a really good plan to put your bench on the side wall by the window to leave maximum room at the front/back of the car. (y)
One other thing is if the front of the garage is exposed to wind at all, those rolller doors (I have exactly the same one) are just a huge heat exchanger removing any heat from the garage. I was plagued with this in mine, I installed brushes on the underside of the lintel to reduce the howling gales getting in above the door and siliconed the gaps behind the guides for the same reason. My site is very exposed so it may not be as much of a problem for you but it annoyed the frig out of me.
Another thing that bugs me about my garage is having the boiler in it. It's noisy and it takes up space but I have nowhere else it put it unfortunately. It's only when you are out there for a few hours in the evening in the winter when the boiler is on that it gets on on your nerves. You can't hear music above the noise of it without having it blasting. If you have any option to put it out the back of the garage, I'd do it now before you get settled in.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it though. (y)(y)

thefool1983

RMS Regular
A well built cupboard with a bit of kingspan or similar inside might do wonders for noise reduction. Add a double rad outside for heat if required. Great for drying things too...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Just gave that a quick watch, that's exactly the same size as my original garage that was at my current house. Good enough size but not really long enough back to front to be dragging large mechanical bits out of cars so a really good plan to put your bench on the side wall by the window to leave maximum room at the front/back of the car. (y)
One other thing is if the front of the garage is exposed to wind at all, those rolller doors (I have exactly the same one) are just a huge heat exchanger removing any heat from the garage. I was plagued with this in mine, I installed brushes on the underside of the lintel to reduce the howling gales getting in above the door and siliconed the gaps behind the guides for the same reason. My site is very exposed so it may not be as much of a problem for you but it annoyed the frig out of me.
Another thing that bugs me about my garage is having the boiler in it. It's noisy and it takes up space but I have nowhere else it put it unfortunately. It's only when you are out there for a few hours in the evening in the winter when the boiler is on that it gets on on your nerves. You can't hear music above the noise of it without having it blasting. If you have any option to put it out the back of the garage, I'd do it now before you get settled in.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it though. (y)(y)

Thanks for the comments :grinning:.

I've plenty of space outside of the garage, wash bay etc etc. So real world there isn't a big compromise at all, should I need to do any bigger jobs.

The front isn't exposed, it's quite well hidden towards the rear of the property with fencing etc. Funnily enough I've sealed up round the side of the door and have the brushes for the lintel.

The previous garage had an oil boiler literally right behind the car, and didn't cause me any problems. The new boiler has just been rebuilt, so is very very quiet. The flooring and filling the garage will quieten things down massively too.

Though I was tempted to build a box for the boiler just like @thefool1983 suggested. Though more to protect the boiler a little from accidents. I'll stick it on the list.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I got some door brushes (for the bottom of a normal hinged door) out of B&Q. There was ones with a longer brush that were around a metre long. I had to mount them on a length of 4x1" wood to move it out and down so it rested on a peak of the door corrugations rather than sitting in mid air. Could take a pic later when I'm home.