RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Real bump here, looking back for inspiration - what paint is that you have?

that’s the exact stuff I bought there: has held up very well I have to say.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
looking for inspiration on how to make or build 1.5m x 2.5m wash grid for washing bikes and companents on a daily basis without turning my driveway and garden into a mud and pine needle infested swamp.

Had thought of getting someone to make me a 6 inch deep metal tray that would just sit on the surface of the driveway in front of the garage but I'm no averse to sinking it in and running it into a drain ( probably need a filter of some sort)

what way are the car wash bays on here done? (thinking I could just shrink the ideas down to scale)

I've put a standard road gutter box in to my wash area and given the amount of muck that I have to wash off the MX5 after some events, I wish I'd have searched out a bigger one as the sump fills up very quickly.

20191130_151620.jpg

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Does anyone know if the height of the bottom cab of the newer Halfords advanced toolboxes is the same as the old Halfords industrial boxes? Would like to make a bench up using two Halfords bottom cab boxes.

I’ve got a full stack of industrial boxes from a year or so ago, but you can’t get them anymore so it may have to be the advanced bottom cab if I can’t find one second hand

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Cracking timber garage build without the jock shouty American type language. Still due a part 3 but most of it is in these 2

That kit is class, fits together really nicely. I love the idea of a wooden framed garage for warmth and ease of construction but the fire risk would be huge unless all the bare wood is covered which defeats the purpose of going with a nice exposed oak frame. Also unsure of their front door concept, hard to beat insulated rollers for minimum space although I'm a sucker for a wooden door too.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
That kit is class, fits together really nicely. I love the idea of a wooden framed garage for warmth and ease of construction but the fire risk would be huge unless all the bare wood is covered which defeats the purpose of going with a nice exposed oak frame. Also unsure of their front door concept, hard to beat insulated rollers for minimum space although I'm a sucker for a wooden door too.
Wondered about the front door set up myself as it looks like it will sit proud of the structure. The drain is also behind the door too which won’t serve much of a purpose.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah saw that too with the drain, shows the value of planning things out properly before you start.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Lads, could anyone give me a rough idea on what cost I'd expect if I were to have my existing sinfle garage knocked down, a 4m wide by 11m long concrete base and a metal frame garage erected in its place?

Just a rough budget. I've about £10k burning a hole in my pocket and it's either a new bike, or a new garage.

It's happening. Mid/Late spring, low rise scissor lift, Swisstrax (or equivalent) flooring, plumbed for hot and cold water, internal drainage, bike workshop at the back and car detailing bay at the front.

Cro

RMS Regular
It's happening. Mid/Late spring, low rise scissor lift, Swisstrax (or equivalent) flooring, plumbed for hot and cold water, internal drainage, bike workshop at the back and car detailing bay at the front.
You get a quote on that from somewhere Gareth?

Chris0

RMS Regular
My brothers friend runs a groundworking firm and he (along with my brother and me) will get all the groundwork done. I'll get the shed sorted once the base is all sorted.
Any RMS discount?
Only joking but do you have a link to have a look? Best I’ve had that I trust for my groundwork is around 2 grand for a 6x4m base

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Any RMS discount?
Only joking but do you have a link to have a look? Best I’ve had that I trust for my groundwork is around 2 grand for a 6x4m base

I don't have an actual price. He said that it's too difficult to price the job as he didn't want to undersell himself. Basically, I'm paying him his daily rate and I just pay for the materials as they are needed. I have a shared internal wall currently that needs secured and waterproofed, 2 retaining walls to hold back my garden own garden as well as needing to bring water into the garage. Electric, cat 6 for the camera and alarm cable is already in place, they just need to be left in place.

This is my garage currently,

20201224_144928.jpg

This is the worst drawing to show the size it'll be when done,

20210105_224941.jpg

Last edited:

Chris0

RMS Regular
£2k for a 6x4 concrete base? 😯
Know anyone else that could do it cheaper? Lol

don’t want any cowboys but anything I’ve priced up has been 2-3k.
Access is spot on, groundwork and anything dug up needs taken away and 2 pipes going to the back corner.
I didn’t think I was asking for much :joy:
I’m also relatively practical so I don’t mind lending a hand if someone else knew what they were doing

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(

Access is spot on, groundwork and anything dug up needs taken away and 2 pipes going to the back corner.
I’m also relatively practical so I don’t mind lending a hand if someone else knew what they were doing

I'm sure others here can advise better than me but it sounds far too expensive for what you describe.

seanmooney

RMS Regular

To be honest as a business i'd easily quote you 2k to do that without seeing whats involved with excavation and drainage.

Doing it yourself with someone handy you could probably do it for 1k

Chris0

RMS Regular
£2k is fair enough. Roughly £800 in concrete alone.
It was a month or so ago but I think I remember one of the companies out for a quote say the concrete is about 300-350 as it’s only for a steel frame so doesn’t need to be as deep.

could be wrong though but I’ll have to make a decision on the next week or two

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
I don't have an actual price. He said that it's too difficult to price the job as he didn't want to undersell himself. Basically, I'm paying him his daily rate and I just pay for the materials as they are needed. I have a shared internal wall currently that needs secured and waterproofed, 2 retaining walls to hold back my garden own garden as well as needing to bring water into the garage. Electric, cat 6 for the camera and alarm cable is already in place, they just need to be left in place.

Id say 2k isnt far away if your talking about dealing with internal walls and digging and founding for 2 retaining walls and building them with block excavating and levelling the ground as well as probably half a load of type 3 for a base compacting that and then dealing with drainage and fresh water plumbing. As everyone has said merly putting a 6" cocrete floor ontop of base is simple if your that far along. but it sounds like theres alot more to be done before that. Id have thoughht it would have been more. Unless theres somewhere for the topsoil and clay to be drawn too handy.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
It was a month or so ago but I think I remember one of the companies out for a quote say the concrete is about 300-350 as it’s only for a steel frame so doesn’t need to be as deep.

could be wrong though but I’ll have to make a decision on the next week or two

Yeah i would say 350 would get your concrete.

Your paying for people time, experience and tools always seems dear, but if you are handy and can do it yourself then you could easily do it for £1000

I put my 7.5m x 5.5m foundations and base in myself with the help of someone to wheel the concrete and father in law to build the footings , concrete, stone and some ducting im in it for £1000 so far and i got the digger and dumper from work free.

If i was to get our company to do it would be £2500.