RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Chris0

RMS Regular
It’s literally just something the father in law mentioned in conversation and I thought that would be handy. I would say for the cost of underfloor heating I wouldn’t get my money’s worth out of it?
As @Antoin mentioned I would love one of the small scissor type lifts at some stage.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Get an underfloor heat circuit........ I thought of this as a jest but actually now think its a good idea

i had thought seriously about UFH but it needs to be kept on constantly which put me off.

I haven’t the rads installed downstairs but upstairs heats up really quickly

What I’m thinking for downstairs is the kick space heaters that run off the central heating. They have a small fan so good for air circulation and heat the space quickly but don’t cost a fortune being run from central system rather than full blown electric only one
Lucky you, can I ask what floor size is yours again @Daviddunlop83 ? Mine is 7M x 12M with 3 2.7M doors. Your doors look like 2.4M doors?

I'm still waiting on contractor number 2 to lower the levels as much as possible while not affecting the retaining wall as I've decided its too high and steep so I'd be better lowering it now rather than regret it. The drive up is currently an average 20deg and I think I can get it down to 18deg without too much hassle.

He's then to prep the site and finish it. He should be here this week. I'm not holding my breath!

This is it 6 weeks ago and bar the digger and roller gone and I lifted the frame, its the same ☹️........................

View attachment 308443View attachment 308444

View attachment 308445View attachment 308446
Mine is 12.25m x 6.5m internal size

I think the doors are 2.5m from memory. I’ll need to check

Are you putting in stairs? They take up a bit of space tho allow for toilet etc under. I had toyed with external stairs but wouldn’t suit the house visually

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
i had thought seriously about UFH but it needs to be kept on constantly which put me off.

I haven’t the rads installed downstairs but upstairs heats up really quickly

What I’m thinking for downstairs is the kick space heaters that run off the central heating. They have a small fan so good for air circulation and heat the space quickly but don’t cost a fortune being run from central system rather than full blown electric only one

Mine is 12.25m x 6.5m internal size

I think the doors are 2.5m from memory. I’ll need to check

Are you putting in stairs? They take up a bit of space tho allow for toilet etc under. I had toyed with external stairs but wouldn’t suit the house visually
No stairs, it's a 3.4M high shed so as not to be too be as inconspicuous as possible. It's green as well and I hate green but camo wasn't an option 😂

thefool1983

RMS Regular
It’s literally just something the father in law mentioned in conversation and I thought that would be handy. I would say for the cost of underfloor heating I wouldn’t get my money’s worth out of it?
As @Antoin mentioned I would love one of the small scissor type lifts at some stage.
Get it in. What odds if you don't use it!
Underfloor heating would be epic lol, but not really required!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Finished :grinning:

80267122-633F-458A-AF5E-919B43030FF1.jpeg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Looks great.
Maybe there's another route I can't see, but would a path from the house door to the garage been handy?

I had toyed with the idea of putting even stepping stones in rather than a full path. We need to get a load of topsoil etc in to sort the lawn levels out so can add them then tho she isn't keen on that idea.

I can walk around to the left and to the house but easiest way is straight across the lawn.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'm looking at options for a shed for our new house. I had planned to build a 50/60x30ft foot steel frame shed but the cost of the steelwork alone is very expensive at the minute. I've spotted some ex mushroom polytunnel houses for sale at a pretty reasonable price that are 100ft by 25ft. They are fully insulated as well. Aside from the obvious issues of getting them dismantled and rebuilt which will be a task in itself what kind of money would I be looking at for a 100x30ft concrete base? I'll be doing the ground works myself with my own digger etc. Just need an idea on what the stones and concrete etc might end up costing to see if it is worthwhile. I will probably end up getting someone to pour the concrete slab though to get a nice smooth finish. I realise the polytunnel isn't a permenant solution but at least in the future I will have a good concrete pad to work off.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I'm looking at options for a shed for our new house. I had planned to build a 50/60x30ft foot steel frame shed but the cost of the steelwork alone is very expensive at the minute. I've spotted some ex mushroom polytunnel houses for sale at a pretty reasonable price that are 100ft by 25ft. They are fully insulated as well. Aside from the obvious issues of getting them dismantled and rebuilt which will be a task in itself what kind of money would I be looking at for a 100x30ft concrete base? I'll be doing the ground works myself with my own digger etc. Just need an idea on what the stones and concrete etc might end up costing to see if it is worthwhile. I will probably end up getting someone to pour the concrete slab though to get a nice smooth finish. I realise the polytunnel isn't a permenant solution but at least in the future I will have a good concrete pad to work off.

The concrete will be approx £70 per m3 with fibres, around £3k for the concrete plus fitting

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Lucky you, can I ask what floor size is yours again @Daviddunlop83 ? Mine is 7M x 12M with 3 2.7M doors. Your doors look like 2.4M doors?

I'm still waiting on contractor number 2 to lower the levels as much as possible while not affecting the retaining wall as I've decided its too high and steep so I'd be better lowering it now rather than regret it. The drive up is currently an average 20deg and I think I can get it down to 18deg without too much hassle.

He's then to prep the site and finish it. He should be here this week. I'm not holding my breath!

This is it 6 weeks ago and bar the digger and roller gone and I lifted the frame, its the same ☹️........................

View attachment 308443View attachment 308444

View attachment 308445View attachment 308446
You can increase your crest slope to 27° alternatively, you could build a smaller retaining wall further up the crest and have a plateu area also.

Second option would be to use a system called MacMat R with pins within your crest to increase your stability.

Give me a shout if you need any help mate

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Would this be too hard for the likes of putting a treadmill etc on? I need something to put over the wooden floor between it and the treadmill

I’d say it would be fine for that. Think I’ve a tile or 2 left over if you wanted to see what you think

Jason

RMS Regular
Few more updates on our new work place, it came with a fantastic pit, however totally useless for me 99% of the time, so we've devised a sturdy covering system that can happily let heavy vehicles sit on it long term for show room parking. Trial fitting the first sheet but works well.

1610735738954.png

Someone else on here was asking about wash bay drainage, here's a picture of our sump box with outflow, waiting on the frame and grid coming back from galvanizers, concrete and over head steel/clad lean-to to follow.

139579814_3930732806950520_8687841243840038712_o.jpg

Last edited:

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Got a bit of motivation to start painting the inside of my shed today, I think another 2 coats and I'll do grand. Then just to build my work bench, possibly ply line and insulate the roof and put some rubber tiled down.
20210117_184329.jpg
20210117_184346.jpg

Whilst doing this all I've came to the conclusion I need a bigger shed though which is painful as getting this far has been cheap!

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Here is probably the best place for this, I bought a second hand roller shutter to replace the broken 'up and over' door. Obviously the new door sits far further in than the original
IMG_20210118_165744.jpg

Because the original lip slopes towards the garage, all the rain is now just running into the garage.

How do I go about making a new threshold, with a lip suited to the new roller shutter? Am I going to have to cut away all the old stuff, then fabricate some sort of timber mould and pour concrete to make the new lip?

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Here is probably the best place for this, I bought a second hand roller shutter to replace the broken 'up and over' door. Obviously the new door sits far further in than the original
View attachment 309234
Because the original lip slopes towards the garage, all the rain is now just running into the garage.

How do I go about making a new threshold, with a lip suited to the new roller shutter? Am I going to have to cut away all the old stuff, then fabricate some sort of timber mould and pour concrete to make the new lip?
You can get a "cup" blade for a grinder that you could shape the floor to run away

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
View attachment 309234

I had issues with water coming under my doors. I bought a rubber strip and glued it down

In hindsight I should have cast lip into the floor but I wasn’t expecting the rain to drive under the door but it’s windy down here

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
View attachment 309234

This is what it looks like down

68152B53-77FC-4CD1-9850-214EB5663D18.jpeg

0C41561E-4850-4674-969B-801921708646.jpeg