RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Good call, do you know of any companies that do it in NI

Forbes/ Carella - Fitted furniture manufacturers, may have seconds or replacing cubicles etc
Demolition guys might be good to speak to as well, try Conor McCusker (McCusker Demolition based in Belfast). Il see if i have a nr for him and forward it on if i have.

Chris0

RMS Regular
What about demolition companies? Could be tearing down an office block or clearing out an old school- could try somewhere like McCusker Demolition based around Belfast

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Thanks, but im down limavady way, had someone on to forbes but probably not worth their time.
Is this something any kitchen company would do?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
not just get a couple of sheets of veneered plywood and some right angle brackets instead of all that carry on? or is it just to try and avoid putting on a couple of hinges for the door? would be far less messing about.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thanks, but im down limavady way, had someone on to forbes but probably not worth their time.
Is this something any kitchen company would do?
Kitchen guy could do it, but it's a simple job. Antoin's suggestion of Carella is only down the road in Campsie.
Unless he gets a lot spectators hanging around the garage, I'd just stick up a shower curtain, lol.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Before without the door seals.

D8C15F09-26FE-4B27-85F6-FD30E813E10D.png

Today after all that rain

53D61022-4764-4253-9439-E0543A892821.jpeg

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Folks, looking some advice. Got my quotes in this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised with them. Question is, if I'm happy enough with them, should I try to barter them down a bit? Cheaper things in the past I'd have no issues asking as the worst they can say is no. This time round, we're talking 4 figures, there's a pandemic, folk need work etc.

What would you do?

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Folks, looking some advice. Got my quotes in this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised with them. Question is, if I'm happy enough with them, should I try to barter them down a bit? Cheaper things in the past I'd have no issues asking as the worst they can say is no. This time round, we're talking 4 figures, there's a pandemic, folk need work etc.

What would you do?

You would think people need the work but you cant get trades at the moment at any money, they seem to be busier than ever since last march,
Plumber says 3 months before he can look at our bathroom.
Have windows ordered there in early october but cant be fitted until after lockdown, and thats if the factory has made them.

Reactions: dub

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Trades men generally don’t need work and all the good ones are all well booked up and turning work away.

If you are pleasantly surprised with the prices, I’d be inclined to accept, and focus in on lead times.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
As above, trades are busier than every at the minute I’ve found aswell and booking 3-6 months if not longer in advanced so I wouldn’t be thinking they need your work.

You could maybe ask for best cash price to save a bit

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Got a quote for the groundwork I’m happy with so should hopefully be in full swing in the next 2 weeks garage due end of February/start of March

What combo you going for? I'm more or less at the same stage.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Going with H2 as I wanted it cladded on the outside so it wasn’t too much of an eye sore. For H2 I paid my deposit back at the end of the summer and they were flat out so I would check with Clonoe if they are backlogged to get the deposit down ASAP then sort the founds

For the groundwork I am going with a guy I played football with few years ago. I contacted Moore’s and they were over £1000 more than what I am paying for ground work.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Clonoe haven't even got back to me after repeated attempts to even begin discussing a quote so I've just given up on them.

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
Anytime I post photos the garage seems to get a few comments which I really appreciate! Makes the hard work put into it by my dad and I (....mostly Dad to be fair) worth it. Some of you have asked in my other threads about the garage and how it was built etc, so here's a wee write up on it:

Built from June 2018 and 95% finished in lockdown 1.0 last year, we initially got the builders who were building our new house to do the ground works, floor, supporting posts / beams, roof trusses and slate roof etc:

Garage Build by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

Finally got the cars in, it was left this way for awhile:

Then Dad and I started our part, fitting the sides using Larch mostly:

Waterproof membrane was fitted on inside:

Then the garage doors were fitted from Garage Door Systems, ThermaRoll insulated electric doors:

Next were the windows:

And that meant we could start insulating, you'll also notice that we floored the attic part for extra storage and Dad was able to make 2 trap doors (wide enough to get the Boxster's Hardtop through!) in the ceiling:

And it was left that way for ages, just used to store stuff and the cars, had to store the DS (now sold before anyone asks!) for awhile. It proved to be quite dry but we initially ran into leaking issues. Sorted by generous use of sealant!! :

Fastforward to December 2019 and we got the yard work done:

After this it was April 2020 before we got working on it again concentrating on the inside. First up, paneling :

We realised that the water was still getting in with very heavy showers in some points so we decided to put an extra layer on the outside:

The Merc proving yet again a good workhorse!

I had help along the way as well....unknown at the time, this photo was taken towards the end of April and by the end of May my collie Jess would pass away, these days spent during lockdown working on this with her by my side are now very precious to me, she was only 3 yrs old :worried:

Getting there, window sills were fitted as well inside and out:

Next up, painting. Decided on an off white colour to help keep the inside bright:

Then a few finishing touches on the walls and a quick organisation of my stuff (yes its still untidy I know!) as I had valets / details booked in and needed to get it into shape for working in:

Finished outside with small angled trims to drain the rain water more:

And that's it! Our calculations are we maybe saved about 10-12k building it this way compared to a single skin concrete block garage but hard to know exactly. Its proved to be very dry and great for storing the cars, there ar still a few wee leaks in it but nothing major at all. Plan this year is to treat the wood and do more sealing. But we are really pleased with the results! It was a good project to complete, loads of satisfaction and something I can look back on with Dad as having completed it together.

TrackBox cleanup by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Love that style, lots of character and very natural materials. Even better to have done it yourselves. Thanks for posting it.

Sorry to hear about your collie too, that’s very sad to have lost her at 3.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Anytime I post photos the garage seems to get a few comments which I really appreciate! Makes the hard work put into it by my dad and I (....mostly Dad to be fair) worth it. Some of you have asked in my other threads about the garage and how it was built etc, so here's a wee write up on it:

Built from June 2018 and 95% finished in lockdown 1.0 last year, we initially got the builders who were building our new house to do the ground works, floor, supporting posts / beams, roof trusses and slate roof etc:

Finally got the cars in, it was left this way for awhile:

Then Dad and I started our part, fitting the sides using Larch mostly:

Waterproof membrane was fitted on inside:

Then the garage doors were fitted from Garage Door Systems, ThermaRoll insulated electric doors:

Next were the windows:

And that meant we could start insulating, you'll also notice that we floored the attic part for extra storage and Dad was able to make 2 trap doors (wide enough to get the Boxster's Hardtop through!) in the ceiling:

And it was left that way for ages, just used to store stuff and the cars, had to store the DS (now sold before anyone asks!) for awhile. It proved to be quite dry but we initially ran into leaking issues. Sorted by generous use of sealant!! :

Fastforward to December 2019 and we got the yard work done:

After this it was April 2020 before we got working on it again concentrating on the inside. First up, paneling :

We realised that the water was still getting in with very heavy showers in some points so we decided to put an extra layer on the outside:

The Merc proving yet again a good workhorse!

I had help along the way as well....unknown at the time, this photo was taken towards the end of April and by the end of May my collie Jess would pass away, these days spent during lockdown working on this with her by my side are now very precious to me, she was only 3 yrs old :worried:

Getting there, window sills were fitted as well inside and out:

Next up, painting. Decided on an off white colour to help keep the inside bright:

Then a few finishing touches on the walls and a quick organisation of my stuff (yes its still untidy I know!) as I had valets / details booked in and needed to get it into shape for working in:

Finished outside with small angled trims to drain the rain water more:

And that's it! Our calculations are we maybe saved about 10-12k building it this way compared to a single skin concrete block garage but hard to know exactly. Its proved to be very dry and great for storing the cars, there ar still a few wee leaks in it but nothing major at all. Plan this year is to treat the wood and do more sealing. But we are really pleased with the results! It was a good project to complete, loads of satisfaction and something I can look back on with Dad as having completed it together.

TrackBox cleanup by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

That's fantastic!
Very American style with posts set in the ground and concreted around.