RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Could anyone point me in the direction of someone to clear move a few plants and clear a bit of muck so I can level it before a shed goes in? Lisburn/Belfast direction?

thanks

Andy

neil-c

RMS Regular
Corrib Contracts, you'll find them on Facebook. Dan is a top lad, does digger work, ground works and concreting.

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Does he do spade work? It’s an area about 10x8 ish feet I’d do it myself but don’t really have the time

neil-c

RMS Regular
He'd probably rip it out with the micro digger to save himself the hassle. Even 8*10ft dug out at 250mm depth would be nearly 2m3 of soil to get out.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
I'd take a guess at approx 10m from main box up the driveway.
For all the distance you will be going I would buy 10mm. What all are you planning on putting in your garage is it only going to be sockets and lights?

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
For all the distance you will be going I would buy 10mm. What all are you planning on putting in your garage is it only going to be sockets and lights?

Ideally some appliances like a chest freezer/tumble dryer. Sockets, lights for the odd tool yep.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Ideally some appliances like a chest freezer/tumble dryer. Sockets, lights for the odd tool yep.
Run a 10mm out, that will allow you roughly 40amps out to your garage. If your putting 4 circuits in your garage buy a 6 way board for example, leave one or two spare ways to future proof incase you need it at a later date.

Reactions: dub

thefool1983

RMS Regular
6mm would be ample for 40A. At least that's what I was told when doing mine.
The bigger sizes help to reduce voltage drop on longer runs. But 10m isn't very long

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
6mm would be plenty for 40a because of the length of run. If it involves digging up concrete or something I personally would rather have the bigger cable out so it’s always there.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
The groundworkers partially dug a trench for drainage and services. Does anyone know what the deal is passing electrical cable past a gas pipe that's affixed to the side of the house? You sound proficient in these things @Turks, looking a homer lol?

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
The groundworkers partially dug a trench for drainage and services. Does anyone know what the deal is passing electrical cable past a gas pipe that's affixed to the side of the house? You sound proficient in these things @Turks, looking a homer lol?
It will do no harm to run it past it. Unfortunately I don’t do them anymore lol.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Slates completed to front of garage. Just need another few pallets to finish the rear. Also waiting on ridge tiles coming from England.

C617236B-4677-45D8-B49D-FE977F8284AD.png

Last edited:

Rippy

RMS Regular
Drives
Aerodeck vti
7am yesterday this rolled into my driveway - neighbours 100% think I am a see you next Tuesday kind of guy.
IMG20210301080456.jpg

Fast forward a few hours and we had this.
Guys then spent most of the afternoon power floating and touching up. In typical fashion the temperature was against it.

IMG20210301103220.jpg

Below is how it looks right now. Builders have 100mm of insulation under the cover - I'm assuming to keep the temperature regulated (been on night shift so haven't seen them)
IMG20210302164842.jpg

Garden is a bit of a mess but I'm just glad to get the base ticked off the list. 100% glad I didn't tackle this myself ha.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
7am yesterday this rolled into my driveway - neighbours 100% think I am a see you next Tuesday kind of guy.
View attachment 314437

Fast forward a few hours and we had this.
Guys then spent most of the afternoon power floating and touching up. In typical fashion the temperature was against it.

View attachment 314438

Below is how it looks right now. Builders have 100mm of insulation under the cover - I'm assuming to keep the temperature regulated (been on night shift so haven't seen them)
View attachment 314439

Garden is a bit of a mess but I'm just glad to get the base ticked off the list. 100% glad I didn't tackle this myself ha.
Good time of year to be hard on the grass as it's now got 6 months to recover

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So while we wait on the bricklayers for the retaining walls, I started clearing out the previous owner's crap out of the attached garage.

He had shelves up that were falling to bits (who makes shelves out of chipboard?) and nails and screws in the most random places on the walls. I'll fill in the holes in the plaster and paint that in the summer.

The floor however is a different story.
DSC_0760.JPG

DSC_0761.JPG

It’s quite bumpy and dusty. Any advice as to what would be the best approach to sorting this? Self leveling screed and some sort of resin paint?

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I completed the final two drawers in my tool chest and left some room for new tools......... This is the tools I use for working on the bike and its a game changer for ease of use.

I have a separate (messy) toolbox for DIY etc

IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg

(One socket to cut into the foam which is lying loose here)
IMG_2572.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2575.jpeg

Rippy

RMS Regular
Drives
Aerodeck vti
Cover and insulation taken off last night.

Really happy with the finish. I've just under 4 weeks now until the shed arrives - More excited than Christmas. Some cleaning up to do today.

I'm thinking of getting some non slip paint to get a coat or 2 done before the shed arrives - obviously I'll wait until the base fully drys and have a warm spell. Any recommendations on paint to use?

IMG20210306102222.jpg