RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
View attachment 322871

I finally got my 8x8 posts from Rea Sawmills over the weekend. These things seem to be unobtainium at the minute and they were £60 more expensive than first quoted about 2/3 months ago.

Now just to get stuck into getting the base sorted out. The level is about 50cm above the current ground level so I will have some serious filling to do first.

View attachment 322872

Also - what's the best product to protect the bottoms of the posts in the ground?

Proper creosote

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Forbidden lol, I've gallons of engine oil if you need some, saves me paying to take it away

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Got all my electrics finished today and the place tidied up.

Got my new tool box today, looks like great value to me and with 7 drawers and 2 still empty I can put all the other bits like tape rules, files, pliers etc in without disturbing what's there. Ordered some matching shadow foam so I'll gather up the rest of the tools and keep it neat.

DSC_1427.JPG
DSC_1428.JPG
DSC_1429.JPG
DSC_1430.JPG
DSC_1431.JPG
DSC_1432.JPG
DSC_1433.JPG

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Lads, I'm sure this has been covered before but is planning permission required for the likes of a 5m X 5m steel structure sheds? Also, do the incur extra housing rates?

Having tried to explore every possibility recently... From what I gather you don't need planning as long as the structure doesn't occupy more than 50% of free land(not inclusive of house) and as long as it is under 2.5m

If the shed will be 2m or more from the boundary you can have eaves of 2.5m up to a ridge of 4m

Building control needs satisfied if the structure has a floor area larger than 30m2, steel shed will be mostly non combustible materials so should be ok

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Having tried to explore every possibility recently... From what I gather you don't need planning as long as the structure doesn't occupy more than 50% of free land(not inclusive of house) and as long as it is under 2.5m

If the shed will be 2m or more from the boundary you can have eaves of 2.5m up to a ridge of 4m

Building control needs satisfied if the structure has a floor area larger than 30m2, steel shed will be mostly non combustible materials so should be ok
Correct. Except eaves restriction doesn't apply in NI if over 2m from boundary. Just the height to worry about.
Have a read of this:

I built my shed (eventually) under permitted development rights and have a letter from the planners stating that. About 30x 20 ft.

Give me a shout if you need any more info on the process
Info posted here previously.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
My shed falls into all the above but you are supposed to have building control. My supplier told me you can get them at any time but it's £600 for nothing and I don't know of anyone that did get it for their shed. 30m2 is only a single garage.

I think the big one for planning is the ridge height of 4m, I went for 3.5m as I didn't want annoyed neighbours........ any more than they already are 😂

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
My shed falls into all the above but you are supposed to have building control. My supplier told me you can get them at any time but it's £600 for nothing and I don't know of anyone that did get it for their shed. 30m2 is only a single garage.

I think the big one for planning is the ridge height of 4m, I went for 3.5m as I didn't want annoyed neighbours........ any more than they already are 😂
I dont think you need BC out if theres no heating inside, I got a card through the door about my shed from a BC inspector when he seen the frame on his travels. Called him back, Soon as I said its residential building and there was no heating inside the shed he seemed happy enough and never called back. Not sure if he nosed around the framework and base when I wasnt there and satisfied himself it was all ok or not. Mine was severly over engineered to be fair lol.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Correct. Except eaves restriction doesn't apply in NI if over 2m from boundary. Just the height to worry about.

Info posted here previously.

That's cleared that up for me then. There's that much conflicting info it's hard to keep track. Then at the bottom of that page you linked they start talking about building control which really threw me off 🤯

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Got my new work bench today from Damien at KB workshop benches on Facebook, great job, made to order.

DSC_1436.JPG

Did a dump run too to get rid of all the boxes from the lights and lot of other stuff. A filing cabinet has been on my list of things to get and at the metal skip what was there??? A filing cabinet that was too good to go in but needed a few repairs! Could not believe it.......so it went to a new home 😂

DSC_1435.JPG

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I know it’s not everyone on this threads cup of tea but for anyone who does wood working in there shed/garage, how have you managed dust extraction?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I know it’s not everyone on this threads cup of tea but for anyone who does wood working in there shed/garage, how have you managed dust extraction?
Only an occasional thing for me, so didn't want a big investment, hence 68mm gutter downpipe, homemade changover blast gates, and a homemade cyclone (traffic cone on a blue barrel) and a 2000W twin motor Camvac which I already had. Serves table saw, mitresaw, sander, router table, but only one at a time.
Downside is it's hard to find 45deg bends, but using two 112s twisted out of line work fairly well. Avoid 90s is possible.

Better with a proper dust extractor for higher volume and at least 100mm+ pipe.

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Finally got some forward motion with a shed for myself, but struggling to find ply for lining at a decent price, does anyone know wheres cheapest or well priced at the minute?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Finally got some forward motion with a shed for myself, but struggling to find ply for lining at a decent price, does anyone know wheres cheapest or well priced at the minute?

Check out Ocean Hardwoods in Carrickfergus. I don’t bother even shopping around now as regardless of price as they are brilliant to deal with and the quality is top notch. I’m mainly getting birch ply and RM MDF off them but last week I got some planed oak and I was very very happy with the cost.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Check out Ocean Hardwoods in Carrickfergus. I don’t bother even shopping around now as regardless of price as they are brilliant to deal with and the quality is top notch. I’m mainly getting birch ply and RM MDF off them but last week I got some planed oak and I was very very happy with the cost.
Second this. Pleasure to deal with. Always good in price and customer service