RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
My Garage is slowly turning into a nice space.

Before for reference.

img_8173-jpg.287850
img_8172-jpg.287849

Gave my door an upgrade:

IMG_7817.JPG

Part done. Added a retractable power reel which as been super useful

IMG_4520.JPG

Complete

IMG_5336.JPG

Finished the ceiling and lighting

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

Next plan is to build an extension behind those wooden doors to use as a dirty room, will have a compressor, a heavy duty bench and big vice, a parts washer, blasting cabinet, belt/disc sander, grinder and metal polishing equipment plus I will build a mini spray booth with extraction.

IMG_5855.JPG

Added two wood storage trays and one for metal below the loft flooring. Might as well make sue of that room. More could be added at a later date if needed.

IMG_5859.JPG

Small parts storage is very useful

IMG_5811.JPG

Loft storage is mostly complete and I couldn't do without it.

IMG_5843.JPG

Those storage boxes are long and are on wheel so when I need access they are easily pulled out.

IMG_5844.JPG

Love my new Noco 4 bank batter maintainer. I Leave all the batteries on this when things are in storage.

thumbnail_IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_5807.JPG

Still loads to do but its slowly getting to where I want it and its already a great space to work in. Its so nice to have a large, well lit, dry garage to work in when I spent so many years building cars outside on a drive, its nice to not have the weather defeat you, or to be lying under a car at night with just a work light while slowly getting soaked.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks. I am very happy with it even though I've still got many plans for it before it is finished, happy for it to be a slowly evolving project.

The planned in ground scissor lift will be a big milestone as it will allow me to tackle pretty much all jobs in house as well as give me the ability to store 4 cars when needed, or possibly 5 if two of them are low and I didn't use the airchamber. Thats still a couple of years off due to budget though.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Adding 2 rads downstairs.
Nice clean garage, I like the rocker covers.

I had thought about adding heating to mine, but changed my mind as my garage won't hold heat great and the constant changes of temperature are worse for the cars than having no heating. Would only work if I were to run my heating all the time during winter.

You just need to work a bit harder and stick on a set of overalls.........that's what I do 🥶🤣
Works for me. During winter I put on my 1 piece diving undersuit with just the boxers underneath and a boiler suit over that to keep it clean and even with temps below zero I never feel cold.

Amazing Ian, the garage has lots of character and is a decent size for storage and tinkering. Love the techno toy tuning sticker.
Thanks. Despite the Size its amazing how quickly it can fill up with the two fun cars and the bike stored in there plus all the tools and woodworking gear. I am being clever with storage for smaller items so its just the big pieces of equipment that need though about. At least all my gardening gear is now moved to a hut.

Sure not many people will know about T3 unless they have an older jap car.

Bryan

RMS Regular
1630003458924.png

I have been working away on these lovely evenings fitting the reclaimed Bangor blue slates to the front. These are much harder to work with than the greys because they came off two different houses and the holes don't line up from one set to the next so a lot of them need redrilled before I can fix them. I've also reached the stage where I need to start fitting the ridge tiles as well but I don't have enough of them yet - need to get some more hopefully tomorrow to be able to mix and match them together. The one in the photo is just sitting there for effect.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
View attachment 333493

I have been working away on these lovely evenings fitting the reclaimed Bangor blue slates to the front. These are much harder to work with than the greys because they came off two different houses and the holes don't line up from one set to the next so a lot of them need redrilled before I can fix them. I've also reached the stage where I need to start fitting the ridge tiles as well but I don't have enough of them yet - need to get some more hopefully tomorrow to be able to mix and match them together. The one in the photo is just sitting there for effect.

Absolutely love that.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
What garage doors are people opting for?

I want insulated doors which is feasible I believe in roller form. However I’ve seen the like of the Hormann sectional doors which offer even better insulation. My only reservations about the sectional doors is the runners and the headroom lost - but maybe just worrying over nothing.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS

I want insulated doors which is feasible I believe in roller form. However I’ve seen the like of the Hormann sectional doors which offer even better insulation. My only reservations about the sectional doors is the runners and the headroom lost - but maybe just worrying over nothing.

I've a Hormann door, head height really isn't an issue, it all sits higher than the garage door head so that becomes your height restriction.

My Biggest gripe is working with the door open on a warm evening, all ceiling light above is blocked by the door..

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
I’d tackle most things myself, but not plastering. It’s 11m x 7m so the labouring itself would have took me quite a while.

A few touch ups / patches should be grand yourself, though. Most important thing would be getting the mix right and the right amount of plasticiser.

RevT

RMS Regular

As stated, the door open blocking the ceiling lights is the main problem, my parents garage is the same, pain in the hole.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
You could put a piece of 1" box steel between the rails too, sort of like Jack Olsen did in the 12 Gauge Garage. (4:45 into this video)

Insulated rollers are probably the best option tbh although I was nervous about having another roller after the one I had on the original garage was so bad so I have wooden opening doors. They are great when closed but very sensitive to wind when the doors are open.

Bryan

RMS Regular
It was a huge family effort today to get the car port finished off. My wife had to learn how to drive the digger to load wheel barrow loads of blinding to put under the car port while our son raked it out. 20 tonnes of the stuff had to be spread out after I spent another 4 hours today finishing off the slates and ridge tiles.

1630268737132.png

1630268659597.png

1630268707914.png

It's so surreal seeing this vision become a reality. There's still a lof of finishing touches to do and hopefully get some concrete down under it at some point when prices aren't so crazy. Next up will be replacing the rear wall with reclaimed stone I kept from knocking down the original buildings that stood there 4 months ago...

1630268928948.png