RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
£5K sounds a bit nuts! I got 2 insulated sectional doors 2750 wide, both with electric motor openers for £3420 in July of this year. Not Hormann, but put the two side by side and you'd be pushed to tell the difference! I think the ones I got are actually a few mm thicker than Hormann ones.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Think it’s the ‘Georgian’ design that’s pushing the price up.

I had an alternative brand sourced last year at £1650 each for the Georgian design, but the company have stopped doing them.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
@Carson did you go for Hormann doors?

I am getting measured up on Friday.

I have old quote dated 24th November 2020. I don't want to check the price difference.
No I went with Garage Door Systems in the end. In saying that I am still waiting for them. Some hold up in customs or so I’m told. There was approx 9% hike just as I ordered from my original quote too. Typical !

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
What’s thr going rates for a concrete base these days. Something like 5x7 for example

I was quoted about £1500, but good luck getting anyone to bother coming out and actually do it. It seems like you have to beg these folks to come and do work for you, really looking forward to when the tables turn.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Think it’s the ‘Georgian’ design that’s pushing the price up.

I had an alternative brand sourced last year at £1650 each for the Georgian design, but the company have stopped doing them.

What Style of Hormann are you going for Gav?

I've buckled and looks like ill go for 3x Sectional Hormann's at £1263 per door Vs £4300 Per door for Hardwood (Paneled!)

The only door i could see that gave the best Barn door representation was Automated Up & Over setup but they Don't seal well, the Arms Narrow the door opening and I was told they don't work with an Arched door head?

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Holy frig, that's some price for the hardwood doors! I know wood in particular has gone up a lot in the last 18 months but that's shocking.
What width are your doors?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Holy frig, that's some price for the hardwood doors! I know wood in particular has gone up a lot in the last 18 months but that's shocking.
What width are your doors?

2700 x 2400mm - Did a bit of shopping around, and all the prices where similar.

Yes, i ideally wanted that look - but i wasn't going to pay 3x to have to Maintain them and also not have the handiness of Automation

seanmooney

RMS Regular
I have 3 sectional up and over doors now on my main garage for about 5 years and there a great door and you can definitely tell the insulation works .

By my gripe is that when you keep opening and closing you need to adjust them every now and again on the motor to keep it fully sealed to the ground.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's pretty much the size of my door, granted without an arched peak which would add complication. Mine was closer to the price of the sectional door price you have there. The world has gone nuts.

Reactions: IL

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Getting a new Liftmaster motor fitted to my sectional garage door ..quoted £500 +vat by Tom Johnston
Hope it’s a good job for that price

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
What Style of Hormann are you going for Gav?

Screenshot from the quote:

F34C9AED-61FE-408F-9C89-C2C6DF3BDDCB.jpeg

Still need to make a decision of the 'windows'.

Last edited:

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Price is up over £5600 following site visit and increased costs 😳

Think I’ll park the doors for a while.

Attachments

• 84F1C8A4-57EE-4A35-BBF9-D2F31209E4ED.jpeg
    84F1C8A4-57EE-4A35-BBF9-D2F31209E4ED.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Was going to say if either of you looking for doors has tried down south (anywhere except Dublin)?

GaryC200

RMS Regular
Drives
s14a
Has anyone on here built a prefab and finished it in render? I see larach and the likes advertising them and just wondering how they compare to the standard steel sheds??

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Put Halfords floor tiles down (12mm thick foam tiles) in bottom half of the garage and down the sides of the car. They're cheap when on offer and with the trade card at circa £8 per pack so didn't cost much to do this. I probably covered around 20-24 SqM with them and I have to say they're a good job actually. Went down easy, are luce to walk on, easy cut when trimming is needed and they have made the garage a nicer place to be as its warmer and the acoustics are better too. Though all that might be in my head.

PXL_20220910_161425339.jpg

Just need to workout that to put down below the car now. Might try a big stable mat or similar.