RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I'm actually not sure @NickR85 I'll try and find out, wouldn't get a lift in it like
I might be restricted to the ‘below 2.4m eave height’ rule at the new house due to where I want to put it.

I won’t be putting in a lift anyway though.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Well thats me all sorted for the winter. Frame and purlings on, Ready to sheet.
DSC_3048.JPG
DSC_3049.JPG
DSC_3050.JPG

Now just to work out how to spec and order all the sheeting flashing and gutters. and who to get it off.

Looking for some 40mm box cladding in olive green. If anyone knows anyone or a decent company for this.
DSC_3051.JPG

Getting excited now. :laughing:

-Ged

NotKG

Banned
Got the garage wired up about 3 weeks ago.
My dad was a sparky when i was young but has been a lorry driver for nearly as long as I can remember so in between being home from england/scotland he volunteered to wire it up for nothing.

I'm very happy with it and he is proud as punch being able to help out. Few we things to tidy up then do the wife's side when she's ready.

It's a great hiding place now I've had another baby girl

View attachment 218245 View attachment 218246

my 8x12 is slowly filling up with stuff, stuff i want, but dont want it there.
i had 3 m behind it, really do wish i went bigger and sepperated it off as a store.
everything i do with a grinder just ends up everywhere.

buy a petrol leaf blower, its great as a floor brush. :joy:

filled the van today with scrap metal and took it to the dump just. someone was to collect it, but i just got sick of looking at it

NotKG

Banned
Well thats me all sorted for the winter. Frame and purlings on, Ready to sheet.
View attachment 218956 View attachment 218957 View attachment 218958

Now just to work out how to spec and order all the sheeting flashing and gutters. and who to get it off.

Looking for some 40mm box cladding in olive green. If anyone knows anyone or a decent company for this.
View attachment 218959

Getting excited now. :laughing:

-Ged

try brendan @ quality steel buildings
quality steel buildings - home
he should be able to sort you out.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Bit lore work done over the holidays, have insulation to go inside this week and that’s that apart from paint the rest .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone any tips for storing bikes? I’ve got my bikes hung on the wall, but not sure what to do with the kids bikes. Don’t really have wall space for them too.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
@Lyons - you have an uncanny knack of asking the right questions. After your roof box one I've followed suit. And in the next few minutes I'm going out to continue the demolition of the old half timber office that has served as a shed these 2 years and wondering just where my boys bikes will go in the new shed so that they are accessible to them. I await responses keenly.

NotKG

Banned
Anyone any tips for storing bikes? I’ve got my bikes hung on the wall, but not sure what to do with the kids bikes. Don’t really have wall space for them too.
a mate made a frame like a 1940's washing line(think its called a pully maid or washing maid) last summer for his cave, its same as mine, bit the higher roof that needed planning.
ya hoist it up to the roof. its just wood and 2 pulleys and rope.
wheels hook on, holds 6 bikes upside down. with wee dowel pegs to adjust wheel sizes .. 20ft up. just lowers it with a hook on wall set at a managable height.
only he's noticed last week theyre now dripping in cold with condensation.
think the cure is a very light ply put on the frame like a mini roof.
would be a good idea in a brick heated garage.

NotKG

Banned
@Lyons - you have an uncanny knack of asking the right questions. After your roof box one I've followed suit. And in the next few minutes I'm going out to continue the demolition of the old half timber office that has served as a shed these 2 years and wondering just where my boys bikes will go in the new shed so that they are accessible to them. I await responses keenly.
keep the old shed. 6 months time you'll be buying another to hide the crap in.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

I was thinking I could build one of these, as at least it can be moved about and not fixed to a wall;

Although as I've been typing, I'm literally wondering could I hang both of their bikes off my pull up bar (they are only 3 and 5, so bikes are small). Cant wait to get home now to see if it would work, or if it would look rash!

Progress is slow in the rest of the garage- just so much crap everywhere. I got my car bike carrier built last night and got a few holes marked on the wall for the brackets to store it, just need to get the holes drilled and brackets bolted up this weekend then there'll be 1 less massive box sitting on the floor.

Also need to put up the wall bracket for Mrs Lyons' bike.

The father in law made me some brackets for a bench, so I also need to mount those then buy some timber.

Its never ending :worried:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Im on the lookout for a shed to put all the kids crap into. sick falling over it in the garage

Lee

RMS Regular
Would it be wise painting the garage floor in these low temperatures? Its a the last thing I have to do and have the time now to do it. But sure no point if it will make a balls of it.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Would it be wise painting the garage floor in these low temperatures? Its a the last thing I have to do and have the time now to do it. But sure no point if it will make a balls of it.
You could heat garage before and after.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother

Its particularly cold this week as well

Reactions: Lee

NotKG

Banned
paint away at it, if its dry it will be hardened in ventilated area in a couple of hours
just avoid #polycolorindustrialcoatings orchard road strabane.
they supplied a bad mix of paint to me via Dennis Wilsons, then some guy Mark from #polycolor came out and inspected the floor and sample of paint and were full of promises to fix it.

he never did, refused to answer messages. useless.
do i care, just enough to warn everyone off them now because customer care is zero.
on the back of that, the supplier did nothing to help other than pass the buck, might not be their problem, but if i but a tv from currys and it breaks down 2 days later, it is currys problem.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
Ah I dunno. Its the Leyland garage floor paint I have. Do the job rightly. It says leave 24 hours between coats. And it will be fully cured in 7 days. But I've a feeling it would take longer in these temperatures and maybe never be as good.