RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Chris0

RMS Regular
Nothing wrong with timber, depending on location they can be more sympathetic to surroundings but constant maintenance, needs treated every year, steel is really build and forget so appeals to me, also much longer lasting.

windows would be nice but security won for me, for the steel one I’d put a couple of sunlight panels on the roof for natural light.

5m is a minimum for me, able to get the car in and open the doors properly lol
Didn't think of the sunlight panels cheers for that mate

I'll measure up 5m and see where it takes me appreciate the information

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Didn't think of the sunlight panels cheers for that mate

I'll measure up 5m and see where it takes me appreciate the information

The clear panels in the roof can cause condensation, you might want to avoid them.

5m should be plenty of room to work around a car. Just for whatever you go for, make sure you get inside measurements.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Is yours a metal frame? What's your thoughts on them? Any issues or things you would change?
Aye. Theres pics of mine on this thread.
Its 8x7wide double doors with insulated panels.

I'm overall happy with mine. As the building I got was half if not more the price of a traditional build.

No issues with condensation in mine at all.
Floor does get damp when the temp is very cold and then gets warmer and humid. I have a small dehumidifier that stops this though. I'm not convinced this wouldn't happen in a standard garage either. And is only at this time of year.

Would deffo recommend the insulated panels and door though. They are more expensive. But make it better for sound, screwing things to walls, strength etc. They do help the temp slightly as well. Never gets below 5/6 deg in there. Ileven if freezing outside.

If you want a look around my shed you are more than welcome. I'm in Belfast. I know quite a bit about them at this stage!! I did groundworks and put base in myself. Etc

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Metal Shed Pros;
Cheaper
Quicker built
Removable (if moving house the superstructure at least can be dismantled and taken with you)
DIY if you are semi handy with the tools
Grey area around planning - can be argued that it is a temporary structure (roll of the dice with planners tho)

Metal Shed Cons;
Not as nice looking as a brick built to match existing house. It can be done but then you are near the price of a brick built.
Noisy in the rain
Condensation/ Insulation if not insulating it
Possibly not as secure?

Brick/ Block Built Pros;
Nicer looking
More secure
Warmer

Brick/ Block Built Cons;
More expensive
Slower construction
Not removable
Limited in size before you have to get planning

Not sure I'd go for timber framed if I'm honest. No advantage over block or steel and more maintenance in my opinion.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Grey area around planning - can be argued that it is a temporary structure (roll of the dice with planners tho)

No chance of arguing this!!
I went through quite a bit of planning issues as well, including an overturned enforcement order. So have experience here too.

Forgot how stressful this bloody build was!

Permitted development is the route to go down 100%.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
No chance of arguing this!!
I went through quite a bit of planning issues as well, including an overturned enforcement order. So have experience here too.

Forgot how stressful this bloody build was!

Permitted development is the route to go down 100%.

Did you erect it and then get nabbed and have to go retro planning?

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane

View attachment 188426 View attachment 188427 View attachment 188428 @bora-gav was asking what shed was like with 2 cars in it. So here you go. It's a working garage now!! Still plenty of room and I'm not utilizing space well at all but the wee polo is a rush job to get sorted.

Can you fix to the cladding?

I'm toying with the idea of a DIY build, but It would be a lean to type build and like the idea of the insulated cladding over T&G wooden exterior for the maintenance free option. Would also mean I don't need to insulate and ply the inside.

Just trying to workout fixing of cupboards etc.

Chris0

RMS Regular

I'm overall happy with mine. As the building I got was half if not more the price of a traditional build.

No issues with condensation in mine at all.
Floor does get damp when the temp is very cold and then gets warmer and humid. I have a small dehumidifier that stops this though. I'm not convinced this wouldn't happen in a standard garage either. And is only at this time of year.

Would deffo recommend the insulated panels and door though. They are more expensive. But make it better for sound, screwing things to walls, strength etc. They do help the temp slightly as well. Never gets below 5/6 deg in there. Ileven if freezing outside.

If you want a look around my shed you are more than welcome. I'm in Belfast. I know quite a bit about them at this stage!! I did groundworks and put base in myself. Etc
Might take you up on that offer at some stage mate

Going to try and get a few people out for different quotes soon enough

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I'm after something a bit nicer than a bog standard shed, it's really to keep my car cleaning material in and not much else.

I would really love a garage, but to be honest I don't want to go to that expense.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that can supply and install something along the lines of what I'm after?

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Did you erect it and then get nabbed and have to go retro planning?
I specced it to be within permitted development, ie less than 4m high.

The guys building it put it 100mm too high, and one of my neighbours complained.
I got a letter stating I had 14 days to remove the structure.

Had to get the boys that built it back to drop the whole thing down by 4 inches
Then argued successfully that it was within pd rights.

To complicate things I had removed 40 odd tonne of material to get a flat base and build the shed into my garden. So I was arguing over where the 4m rule should have been measured from. The planners are all robots!! Was like pulling teeth!!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I specced it to be within permitted development, ie less than 4m high.

The guys building it put it 100mm too high, and one of my neighbours complained.
I got a letter stating I had 14 days to remove the structure.

Had to get the boys that built it back to drop the whole thing down by 4 inches
Then argued successfully that it was within pd rights.

To complicate things I had removed 40 odd tonne of material to get a flat base and build the shed into my garden. So I was arguing over where the 4m rule should have been measured from. The planners are all robots!! Was like pulling teeth!!

That was going to be one of my queries. What do they take as ground level?
For me it should be finished floor level to the ridge.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Might take you up on that offer at some stage mate

Going to try and get a few people out for different quotes soon enough
No probs. Any time.

Here's a few pics of mine. I'll double check tomo. But I think the main structure was built for 9ish... plus slab and ground works.

In terms of screwing to the inside of the sheets. Its handy for sockets etc. See last photo.
IMG_20180412_183906.jpg
IMG_20180526_150918.jpg
IMG_20180318_123401.jpg
IMG_20180412_182416.jpg
IMG_20180116_181633.jpg
But you couldn't hang anything substantial from it as it's only 1mm ish thick sheet.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
That was going to be one of my queries. What do they take as ground level?
For me it should be finished floor level to the ridge.
It SHOULD be the lowest ground level adjacent to the footprint of the building. Which would have meant I could have put it 1m higher. But there was an arguement because I put a retaining wall in to hold higher soil back.

Before and after pics of this shown too
IMG_20160707_185821.jpg
IMG_20161002_180858.jpg

Note the last green pole in 1st pic is the same one in second pic. So I had removed a large height of soil from this area..

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@thefool1983 thats some size of garage I really like that.

I have insulated the whole garage bar roof and then added plywood to all the walls but Im having issues with condensation my plywood is now turning black as its damp inside the garage. I`ve looked at getting a dehumidifier to reduce this how ever Im thinking of taking it all off and plastering the garage and insulating the roof while adding Radiators.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Ah no. that's not good mate!
Is it the face of the boards that's getting the mould?

I have a dessicant dehumidifier set to around 80% rh. It only kicks in maybe twice a week like.
No condensation at all? And even without it. There would only be condensation on the floor slab the very odd time

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Ah no. that's not good mate!
Is it the face of the boards that's getting the mould?

I have a dessicant dehumidifier set to around 80% rh. It only kicks in maybe twice a week like.
No condensation at all? And even without it. There would only be condensation on the floor slab the very odd time

Yea its the face of them that has mould Im going to try a dehumidifer and see what the score is but a good friend has just got his all plastered and
its a real tidy job.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Yea its the face of them that has mould Im going to try a dehumidifer and see what the score is but a good friend has just got his all plastered and
its a real tidy job.
Polythene sheet or Tyvek between the board and the metal work. Same idea as door cards on a car.