European Road Trip, Summer 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
All,

I've had the idea to gather up a few petrol and diesel heads for a jaunt around Europe. Let's just say that the thought came to me after many years of boring summers spent with a certain lady who has only one similar interest to me.........you can ask me about that if we meet.

We could take in some fine scenery, some race-tracks and maybe even partake of local food and drink along the way. I was thinking of keeping it decidedly budget too, like campsites and downmarket accommodation so as to include as many people as possible. Air BnB could help drive the cost down so a snorer like me won't keep the entire campsite up.

We could also spread the fine reputation of RMS into the European mainland, if Cooper lets us......... at the very least, if we get enough sensible people, we could stay safe and return with as many low-flying pilots as we leave with. I'm thinking 4-7 days, tracks, scenery and a couple of organized events or activities along the way. I in no way take liability for anyone who might attend, this will be friends/ associates meeting up for a relaxing outing with no pressure to do anything other than come along and be nice. Don't let the fact that I recently had to take out £35M of business insurance sway your decision....... you won't get a penny compensation from me for breaks, crashes etc. unless you work for me - and I work alone! So, proper insurance would be a must for anyone who might want to come along. A very rough cost estimate would be £1250 per car taking into consideration a 5 night trip with ferries, tunnel, tolls, accommodation food and fuel (calculated at 25mpg); this could go either way!

From our previous trips, Spa and the 'Ring seem to be the most popular places for the masses and these would interest me for a few days away in summer. Dates could be confirmed later, but for now I just thought I'd run the idea up the RMS Flagpole to see how many salute............

I've just started researching, so it might take a month or more to organize a proposal. This will not be for profit, nor charity, but possibly mostly because Billy No Mates has more friends than me.

Just thinking out loud:
roadtrip.png

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Tbh you're better heading further south and getting in a lot of good alpine roads, stelvio pass etc and then up via the nuremberg ring
just planting a seed Nickyyyyyyyyyy, I'll go anywhere on the planet, but I want to keep it accessible for the masses. (like those who can't afford a super-duper car........) BUT, I'm not in charge, it can evolve to whatever the masses want.

JordanT

RMS Member
Drives
2016 Golf R, TVR
Just a suggestion, I'm looking at going to the Monaco Historic GP this year, it's on 11th-13th May, maybe too early for this but just a thought if, as mentioned, heading further south is an option. Grandstand tickets for Saturday and Sunday are only £60 or so which is a bargain in my opinion

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Also if sticking to northern Europe I'd def give some thought to going through Hull or Newcastle in to Amsterdam or Rotterdam as it cuts out most of the boredom of driving through England.
Yes indeed....... but long sea trips are not for me........ as we would meet on Continental Europe, one can get there by hot air balloon if one pleases! It's a road trip though, not a sea or air trip, hence my personal route prefrence/ proposal. I personally love a lot of the English countryside. And could suffer a few agonising hours round Birmingham and London to have an Alpine Pass at the end of it.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@gav525 is doing a belter this year.

Yep I'm doing the Circuit Days Alpine Adventure and can't wait! Works out at 2500 per car for 2 people, I think it's 2800 now though as I got the early bird booking thing.

The itinerary is on their website but includes every thing I wanted from a European trip and a bit more.

Will put up a thread when I set off with plenty photos. Still a few spaces left if anyone fancies tagging along.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I’d like to try something like this if I had a fun car to do it in. Might have trouble persuading the other half though...

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
I’d like to try something like this if I had a fun car to do it in. Might have trouble persuading the other half though...
My other half is being told that she's not coming.... though I'll word that slightly differently...... lest I lose a nut or two.

Or she might believe that I have a job interview in Germany and I have to drive there.....

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Del, this is awesome... This year wouldn't work for me ( plans already in place for this summer ) but the megane'd be perfect for a raz about the sportier roads of Europe. ... 2019? :p

Dave..

RMS Regular
Yep I'm doing the Circuit Days Alpine Adventure and can't wait! Works out at 2500 per car for 2 people, I think it's 2800 now though as I got the early bird booking thing.

The itinerary is on their website but includes every thing I wanted from a European trip and a bit more.

Will put up a thread when I set off with plenty photos. Still a few spaces left if anyone fancies tagging along.
@gav525
Can you stick up a link?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Del, this is awesome... This year wouldn't work for me ( plans already in place for this summer ) but the megane'd be perfect for a raz about the sportier roads of Europe. ... 2019? :p
I'll do it in 2019 too! Let me know Sir!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
That's a great idea. It's always hard to pre-judge a group of people, but I enjoy going on such things where the atmosphere is really relaxed, not the typical round-europe trip in cramped roofless misery for 45 minutes at an overcrowded race-track that seems to be the ticket for most continental adventures.
That Monaco Classic sounds like just the ticket. Combine that with a route around the bottom of France and over the Alps into Italy and you're talking world-class road-trip.
But here, either which way sounds good. From personal experience I'd also say avoid as much English motorway as possible. I'd use the Dublin ferry, but the Hull idea is a good one too. I'm with you, the English countryside is lovely, but when you've a (likely pre-booked) ferry to catch, idyllic 30mph jaunts around Eresham-on-the-Wispy-Wye avoiding low hanging thatch isn't really on the cards.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Del, it's a great idea and good man for taking it on. Unfortunately you will not please everyone but then it ain't for the masses and you don't want heaps going either as too many is a pain to organise.

I could be interested but the thought of tenting would put me right off and appreciate that Euro campsites can have cabin type accommodation which is fair enough and be up for that but not the former.

English countryside is interesting rather than the usual m6/m1 blasts down south.
Spa and ring are great tracks to consider. Best driving roads are in round Switzerland etc for the passes etc but this could be too far.

Hoping to get a Euro trip this year as it's been a couple of years since I done one; so at the mo I am a potential hanger on for yer party.

Will follow thread with interest over the coming months ...

Good man! :grinning:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Ha ha Andrew and others. I'm not expecting anyone to come along. I'll do this on my own and not looking to "please" anyone at all. There's plenty of choice for orgainsed european road trips but there is no way I'm giving someone 4 grand plus for two people to get in their own tin box to drive round Europe! Its a sort of Thelma and Louise trip but im hoping for the murder and suicide rate to be much lower than in the movie! Think of it as just a trip to enjoy some scenery and some tracks without the luxury trappings of 4 and 5 star hotels. One of the most impressive hotels my missus and I (little and large) ever stayed in was a 1 star in Granada. It was marble throughout and had a vending machine with beer, tv and air con....... for £25 a night. Beezer as Lyons might say. If i get one other person to join me, then it will be cheap holiday, if not then I'll enjoy seeing the sights and steering the bends!