https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101017552291
1617573297109.jpeg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011126045143
1617573652523.png

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My Ford Ranger has 204k on it. Judging by the fuel economy I am getting it must have previously had very rich owners to do that many miles... or have been on the ribena.

I think @stevieturbo wins the highest mile award so far... need to see pics of this steed though.

It's nothing fancy.

Pic from ages ago delivering down to Loophead, delivering some cables to the filming of Star Wars, so stopped at a few spots on the way back for a scenic drive. I stopped driving it late 2018 as changed jobs. Was averaging about 85-90k a year.
I put about 80k on the van I had before it, and the one before that put about 150k on it. I got this one with 67k and I think it's around 735k or so now. It hasn't moved since I stopped using it really.
Only had those wheels on for a short time, no good for the sort of use I was doing.

Blackpool on the way home after dropping something off at Harrods in London ( also stopped off at Santa Pod for the Euro's too...may as well make most of it while I'm there, but would have been early for the boat hence a nosey to Blackpool )

That trip was probably most miles covered in a day or little bit more. Carrick to Harrods to Santa Pod, Blackpool, Cairnryan then home. Can't find the pic from Harrods.

Simon83

RMS Regular
EE73F977-315D-4AC9-B090-4662E4B5A370.jpeg

My daily should turn 200k within the next few weeks, I would love to try and make it to 250K. Not a high miler compared to some on here but by far the highest miler I have owned.
My uncle would have bought a lot of very high mile ex company car Audi’s from the auctions across the water. I remember he bought a silver C6 A6 advant with 384k on the clock. It came with two A4 lever arch files full of history. There were receipts for absolutely everything including a new drivers seat, steering wheel, gear knob and hand break handle.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
My old B5 passat ticked over 310k, before it was replaced with the Golf R, great thing drove itself to clearways. Got some abuse.

DSC_1617.JPG

DSC_2042.JPG

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I owned a Camry estate in Australia with 290k on it if I can remember rightly. Though that was either just run in, or it had been round the clock once already.
The thing broke down in the middle of the outback. It was $190 for a used alternator and a $600 tow to the nearest town which was 3 hours away!
F7F8D826-328B-4FE4-A49A-0CCDFA2A1D22.jpeg

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I owned a Camry estate in Australia with 290k on it if I can remember rightly. Though that was either just run in, or it had been round the clock once already.
The thing broke down in the middle of the outback. It was $190 for a used alternator and a $600 tow to the nearest town which was 3 hours away!
View attachment 318366
Good job this fella didn't tow yee 'back into town'
1400168705000-wolf.jpeg

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
It's nothing fancy.

Pic from ages ago delivering down to Loophead, delivering some cables to the filming of Star Wars, so stopped at a few spots on the way back for a scenic drive. I stopped driving it late 2018 as changed jobs. Was averaging about 85-90k a year.
I put about 80k on the van I had before it, and the one before that put about 150k on it. I got this one with 67k and I think it's around 735k or so now. It hasn't moved since I stopped using it really.
Only had those wheels on for a short time, no good for the sort of use I was doing.

Blackpool on the way home after dropping something off at Harrods in London ( also stopped off at Santa Pod for the Euro's too...may as well make most of it while I'm there, but would have been early for the boat hence a nosey to Blackpool )

That trip was probably most miles covered in a day or little bit more. Carrick to Harrods to Santa Pod, Blackpool, Cairnryan then home. Can't find the pic from Harrods.

Love posts like this.

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
My rangie has 190k on it and still driving perfectly *touch wood*
I notice that a lot of cars that from the year they were made and taking into account typical average mileage should be over 200k. But it seems that 130k seems to be the magic number most cars have that are for sale

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Highest mileage on anything Iv had would be around early 200K. Traded a 2L petrol accord in with 208k once, which still drove great. Drove a Mk4 GTTDI Golf that was traded in to Phillips VW once...380k I think and still drove pretty well, the guy said it was original turbo, there was no padding left on the armrest or door card to speak of.

I’m more in to super low mileage myself!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I thought I was doing well with 188k miles on my E34. Must try harder, still probably a lot higher miles on it than most show cars!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Unfortunately new cars won’t see mileage like this. ‘Don’t make them like they used to.’

the basic components are likely well able for it. It’s just new cars have so many other complicated components that make them uneconomical to repair. Along with things like people seem to be more concerned with having the latest xyz rather than just making do

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I love seeing low milers as much as anyone but there is something satisfying about a high miler still doing it’s job perfectly well. Some big numbers in here, my Bora is on 115k so I’ll be praying it makes similar numbers in years to come

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My rangie has 190k on it and still driving perfectly *touch wood*
I notice that a lot of cars that from the year they were made and taking into account typical average mileage should be over 200k. But it seems that 130k seems to be the magic number most cars have that are for sale

Before or after they're clocked ? lol

My current car is just coming up on 130k, it had 118k when I bought it, the last was year missing from history, so can only guess it's genuine. But you just never know.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I love seeing low milers as much as anyone but there is something satisfying about a high miler still doing it’s job perfectly well. Some big numbers in here, my Bora is on 115k so I’ll be praying it makes similar numbers in years to come

Low miles can be a double edged sword. My other van I bought with only 30k on it and it was a year older than my high miler daily. So it had sat about a lot, although it must have sat in a good environment as was very clean everywhere.
However some history of a diesel pump/inspection and repairs did raise concern ( although not a chance they were actually done given the price on the receipt ). But at time of purchase, other than being a little noisy when cold, it was great.
Drove home, and maybe 1000 miles later not so great. Clearly whoever had worked at it was incompetent. No way did they have the pump removed etc, but they had been chasing some sort of problem ( and causing more problems ), as parts were missing, the diesel fuel rail pressure valve was new...and whoever fitted it rammed it in so tight the valve could not work as it mushroomed the end trapping the valve and damaging it and the rail.
In the end I had to replace the entire fuel system and thoroughly clean the tank and lines as the pump/injectors etc were ****ed. I can only guess from so little use, made worse by the people working at it before.

Sitting about and low mileage isn't always a good thing.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, low milers can give their fair share of trouble.
I had a 156 2.4 20V that had 22k on it but started giving trouble with the fuel system, turned out the original owner had put massive wheels on it that were scraping on the outer wall of the filler neck so road dirt was getting into the tank. 3 out of 5 injectors were frigged, along with the HP and LP pumps, new filler neck etc. I think it took around £1200 in bits plus a week of time chasing down bits and me fitting them to get it sorted. Such fun.

Some of the best driving cars I've had have been high milers, drove an old Rover 414 that I had in Derby down to Madrid in one day/night when moving jobs. Never missed a beat and drove around Spain during the weekends that I was there and up to Toulouse over the Pyrenees etc, had 130k on it. Even when the HG started leaking, I stopped it before it got a proper heating and replaced it at the side of the road behind the flat and drove on at it for another 18 months after that.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
OH has an 08 1.9 TDI a3 with 175k she bought off its original lady owner last year. Great driving thing and so satisfying to rack up the miles higher and keeping it well serviced. Would love to hold onto it forever

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think half the problem with the newer stuff is that there’s a lot of environmental requirements to meet which impacts the longevity of the car. The emissions tat, biodegradable wiring, parts only available as modules, reduction in manufacturing processes leading to quick fit connections and a general lack of serviceability. Then there’s extended service intervals, reliance on long life fluids, wet belts, water based paints, etc.

Could probably take something to high enough mileage in its first 6-10 years but after that it’s probably going to end up scrapped with something fairly minor needing doing.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I think half the problem with the newer stuff is that there’s a lot of environmental requirements to meet which impacts the longevity of the car. The emissions tat, biodegradable wiring, parts only available as modules, reduction in manufacturing processes leading to quick fit connections and a general lack of serviceability. Then there’s extended service intervals, reliance on long life fluids, wet belts, water based paints, etc.

Could probably take something to high enough mileage in its first 6-10 years but after that it’s probably going to end up scrapped with something fairly minor needing doing.
I'd say 90s into early 00s the era for super high milers as cars didn't rust just as badly as before and engines were much more reliable but didn't have all that nonsense that you've mentioned.
In saying that the highest recorded miles went to a 60s Volvo P1800

Although I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of the old Austin FX4 taxis had done well over 1m miles