RMS highest miler

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd say 90s into early 00s the era for super high milers as cars didn't rust just as badly as before and engines were much more reliable but didn't have all that nonsense that you've mentioned.
In saying that the highest recorded miles went to a 60s Volvo P1800

Although I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of the old Austin FX4 taxis had done well over 1m miles

Next time you see a black cab run it’s reg through the MoT checker database. Loads have 800k+

onefortheroad

RMS Regular
Drives
volvo
I drove my 02 Passat till 235k it was still a great car . I've just bought a 05 hiace van with over 250000 still drive good I only seem to buy cars around 100k never bothered me a bit .

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Parked the sport up with 180k on it, was still running like a June bee. Needs a bit of welding but one day I will put it back on the road....... maybe/hopefully

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think half the problem with the newer stuff is that there’s a lot of environmental requirements to meet which impacts the longevity of the car. The emissions tat, biodegradable wiring, parts only available as modules, reduction in manufacturing processes leading to quick fit connections and a general lack of serviceability. Then there’s extended service intervals, reliance on long life fluids, wet belts, water based paints, etc.

Could probably take something to high enough mileage in its first 6-10 years but after that it’s probably going to end up scrapped with something fairly minor needing doing.

Yes and no. The vehicles are all serviceable...however, all too often either fleet vehicles, unscrupulous garages or just plain tight ass owners are a huge part of the problem. That and the false extended service intervals manufacturers give, which is in part to tempt fleet buyers. ( and then the fleet owners don't bother their arse with proper servicing even at that ! trying to skimp on costs further )

If you were an owner driver ( as I was ), and with a proper service/maintenance schedule ( I do my own ), then I'd say a modern well engineered vehicle could do big miles easily.
That said, some stuff is just ***** and will break no matter what you do lol. It could still do big miles, it will just cost more and be more hassle. But unreliable emissions controls, poor wiring arrangements, water ingress to parts etc are all killers that really the authorities should make regulations or standards that most of this crap should not happen.

But a lot of people simply do not do big miles, never will, and most just want to change cars often anyway.

I thought many times about changing my van, but it pretty much ticked every box I needed, and almost no more modern van did, at any price. So it would have been mental and expensive for me to change, for zero benefit and higher risk.

Lee

RMS Regular
I'd love to take this to high mileage, but it would take the rest of my life. Bought it 4.5 years ago with 102k and full history. Now on 132k. In that time I've replaced a lot of parts on it, clutch and flywheel, all brakes, all suspension etc. I do love it.

20180610_222319~2.jpg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
the basic components are likely well able for it. It’s just new cars have so many other complicated components that make them uneconomical to repair. Along with things like people seem to be more concerned with having the latest xyz rather than just making do

Think you are right in terms with having the latest car.

My current 2008 E61 is the lowest mile one I have owned with 117k on the clock and its as tight as a drum.

I fitted CarPlay into it and upgraded the speakers in it and its made me think if I bought a brand new 520d it would be doing the same job both auto, both have CarPlay, both have heated seats so it ticks the boxes I need it to so the only thing is it’s not the latest car sitting in the driveway which I couldn’t care less about.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
(I think half the problem with the newer stuff is that there’s a lot of environmental requirements to meet which impacts the longevity of the car. The emissions tat, biodegradable wiring, parts only available as modules, reduction in manufacturing processes leading to quick fit connections and a general lack of serviceability. Then there’s extended service intervals, reliance on long life fluids, wet belts, water based paints, etc.)
I think what you mean is new cars are sh**e.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Good read this on a fella who has a Porsche 996 with over 300k mile on original engine. (This was in 2016)

I was going to post this, great thread. I love his approach to parts etc. on it, replacing stuff when it has 'lifed out' instead of when it breaks. His job sounds cool too, although he never really gives too many details on it. Overnight urgent parts delivery for motorsport teams or something.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
My Insignia had 238,103 when I sold it in February.

Don't know if this counts but a Merc 814D my employer converted to a sensory bus and was an library bus in its old life had 880,000 miles on it, and by God did it feel like it.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
My old TD Cav had 431k on it when I sold it to a lad from Omagh, think it ended up with 440ish on it when he wrecked it.

Gambit

RMS Regular
I was going to post this, great thread. I love his approach to parts etc. on it, replacing stuff when it has 'lifed out' instead of when it breaks. His job sounds cool too, although he never really gives too many details on it. Overnight urgent parts delivery for motorsport teams or something.
Yeah i liked his james bond style "no rear lights" switch for overnight cross country runs at what must have been very fast speeds

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
My 944 had 244k on it. An MOT examiner’s eyes told him 24k.

View attachment 318356
View attachment 318357

Sadly, even though it was tight as a drum with the biggest folder of history I’d evert seen, nobody would touch it & I had to let it go for next to nothing.
Bit silly when you think that's only like 6.5k a year, and in order to do that it would have to be well maintained throughout it's life.

But an example that was lay up or sat in a shed for most it's life, is dragged out given a quick wash and is worth silly money as a low mileage "barnfind"

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I'd love to take this to high mileage, but it would take the rest of my life. Bought it 4.5 years ago with 102k and full history. Now on 132k. In that time I've replaced a lot of parts on it, clutch and flywheel, all brakes, all suspension etc. I do love it.

View attachment 318505
You'll have that a long time, looks great! Mate has one for last 10years at least, 225k at least on it now, still looks well! Neighbour had one with 230k odd on it until a couple of years ago, saw it last week, his brother still driving it so must be well over 250k now. I'd a non pd mk4 tdi 90bhp, superb wee car, sold it in 2015 with 144k on it, still shows as MOT'd on vehicleenquiry :grinning: We had it 4years, got droplinks and a couple of front arm bushings just after we got it and only really needed serviced and tyres.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
20210403_195229.jpg
405,000 on her now and no sign of slowing down

Sadly until I find someone who can correct the mileage, She's showing the 126k on the clio clocks I fitted so I could get the mpg, trips and other toys that didn't come on poverty spec vivaros.

I also got the electric F10 BMW seats in and wired up a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_20210409_225803_952.jpg

Last edited:

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
View attachment 320068405,000 on her now and no sign of slowing down

Sadly until I find someone who can correct the mileage, She's showing the 126k on the clio clocks I fitted so I could get the mpg, trips and other toys that didn't come on poverty spec vivaros.

I also got the electric F10 BMW seats in and wired up a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 320069

Looks really well. You’d never think it had those miles on it

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
Havent had anything over 200k but had a few near it. A dturbo in the 190k range which was impressive considering there was 30psi of boost being thrown through its aging unopened engine, a pd130 mk4 with 180k on it which drove brilliantly, a couple of boras in the 160-170k range, again, brilliant cars and the best being a B6 a4 with 170odd on it which honestly drove like it had about 30k on it, a brilliant car!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Trigger's broom?
Yes and no.
Recon box, new turbo and some injectors, new springs and shocks all round.
Still on its original front lower arms, but they're definitely nearing the end of their lifespan.
Really doesn't take much to keep them going, just the usual preventative maintenance and servicing with proper parts and not the usual cheapest sh*t available.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Had a MK3 Clio DCI. I took it from 8k to 148k in 4 years, then sold it to my cousin who drove it to 178k then the car was wrote off. Original battery, clutch, exhaust. 100k of motorway miles and serviced every 10k helped keep it healthy..the leather steering wheel was in bad shape. Most reliable car I have owned.

Running one at the minute as a cheap runaround and they're not a bad little car. It's the second time I've owned this one. Got it for free first time round, sold it for £1200 after 2 years, then bought it back for £500 albeit it did need a new brake calliper fitted but I'd factored that into the price.

Mine is on 126k and still original clutch, exhaust. Battery has been changed and it did in my first ownership need work to fix the fan blowers which is a common fault, and needed the light stalk sorted as they ended up staying on indefinitely.

Still, all in all, it's been a solid car with just routine servicing each year under my (and the person who owned it in between my two periods) ownership. The little 1.5 DCi is surprisingly punchy and refined for what it is. £30 a year and 55+mpg.

Leather wheel in mine is also going quite tatty but seems to be common with them.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Not so much a high mileage car but an HGV, belongs to my mate who lives in France.

1,350,000 kilometres on the clock = just under 839,000 miles . . Currently undergoing a rebuild.

Attachments

• 8F2BB9D4-92B2-4E70-B4CA-65F3554DA27F.png
    8F2BB9D4-92B2-4E70-B4CA-65F3554DA27F.png
    1 MB · Views: 88

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Running one at the minute as a cheap runaround and they're not a bad little car. It's the second time I've owned this one. Got it for free first time round, sold it for £1200 after 2 years, then bought it back for £500 albeit it did need a new brake calliper fitted but I'd factored that into the price.

Mine is on 126k and still original clutch, exhaust. Battery has been changed and it did in my first ownership need work to fix the fan blowers which is a common fault, and needed the light stalk sorted as they ended up staying on indefinitely.

Still, all in all, it's been a solid car with just routine servicing each year under my (and the person who owned it in between my two periods) ownership. The little 1.5 DCi is surprisingly punchy and refined for what it is. £30 a year and 55+mpg.

Leather wheel in mine is also going quite tatty but seems to be common with them.
Looking back on this car - it has been the most reliable car I have owned compared to the crap bag of an A4 I now have.
Mines was the 106bhp model, and shifted decent enough. I had the wiper stalk replaced under warranty. Had a broken spring and a reverse switch replaced apart from that 2 sets of front disks and pads, 1 set of discs and pads on the rear, tyres, multiple headlight bulbs - I had those drive home lights and they used to blow bulbs if you used full beam, was the usual oil/filter every 10k. I was gonna buy the car back as my cousin had it and someone crashed into her and wrote the car off.

jd_96

RMS Member
2006 Superb 2.0TDI Elegance on 272,000 miles. Bought it off a mate a couple of weeks ago to have as a cheap runabout. Spent most of its life as a taxi. Nothing at all wrong with it and was only just mapped recently too. Think it has been through a few oil pumps and turbos.
I've a 2008 A6 2.0TDI Multitronic here too on 145,000 and driving perfectly.

superb.jpeg

Last edited: