RMS Offroad Enthusiasts - Punch Hunt - Flagstaff - 25th August 2019

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
At the minute only the 29th of Jan suits me, but with the way my work is that could change an all.

Just pick a date that suits everyone else and if I'm here I'll go!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Watch your height in carpark barriers and low ceiling multistoreys. Don't ask me how I know :worried:

How about a 6 month old Land Rover Defender 130 Countryman which was specially ordered and fitted with various extras such as an expedition roof rack, like the cage Adam is talking about, making its way into Castle Court's multi-storey car park. The sign on the chains as you enter the building slapping the roof/roof rack wasn't enough of an incentive to make the driver stop and go elsewhere. Oh no, that would have been much too sensible. Stopping to grab a ticket then dumping the clutch as soon as the barrier lifts to race up the ramp, only to be wedged so hard between the ground and roof of the car park that even letting the tyres right down wasn't enough to free it from its new found resting place. It took a Hilux filled with a load of weight in the back and 4wd selected in both vehicles to ease it from where it had halted...

It ended up needing a new roof and both upper rear quarters replaced due to the way the roof rack was bolted on to the gutter and shifted back with such force, twisting the whole thing...

Needless to say, the aul lad still hasn't let the mother forget about that 'incident' some 18 years on... :scream:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
At the minute only the 29th of Jan suits me, but with the way my work is that could change an all.

Just pick a date that suits everyone else and if I'm here I'll go!

Shall we go on the 29th on our own :p

26th February seems to be the most suitable for the majority so for and gives plenty of notice. I'll get onto the place again tomorrow to comfirm

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Shall we go on the 29th on our own :p

26th February seems to be the most suitable for the majority so for and gives plenty of notice. I'll get onto the place again tomorrow to comfirm

I'll go on the 29th in something (y)

May even talk another 1 or 2 into going in road vehicles.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
would love to try one of these days ... know nothing about flagstaff ... so would a cr-v be able to cope?
would a set of off-road tyres be required?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I'm more than up to doing both dates, there happy with any crowd sizes, small or large. That kinda place can change in a month too.

I'll book the 26th February as the proper day then if we get a wee group for the 26th all the better :p.

Have to get @gav525 to go, some has to get stuck and need towed to make the day interesting ;)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@Coog I went into foyle side multi story in the p38 one day forgetting all about being in a 4x4. The wee aerial on the roof hit the height size in the entrance and every concrete beam in the roof driving through lol.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
would love to try one of these days ... know nothing about flagstaff ... so would a cr-v be able to cope?
would a set of off-road tyres be required?

Ground clearance would be the main issue. What year? I guessed around 2010 and the ground clearance is 6.7 inches.

AT's would be a help but depending on the tyres you have they might be ok, first time I went I had general snowgrabbers on, a lot softer than the AT's and really road based but have a blocky thread pattern.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
How'd you know

Wheel on roof of lifted XJ and smashed the height restrictor at work. Ended up hanging off at one side and the car park was then deemed out of bounds until they sorted it - so everyone had to park on the roads/streets until it was fixed a couple of days later. Security had to scan everyone coming in because they couldn't go through the carpark security gate job. All in all a clusterf**k of the highest order.

Second time was a mate in a Shogun. Got it wedged in a multi storey and had to let all the tyres down to pull the rack and wheel off & reverse it back out again. Not so bad but banjaxed the rack and caused complete mayhem at the time with everyone piling in behind him.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Ground clearance would be the main issue. What year? I guessed around 2010 and the ground clearance is 6.7 inches.

AT's would be a help but depending on the tyres you have they might be ok, first time I went I had general snowgrabbers on, a lot softer than the AT's and really road based but have a blocky thread pattern.

same as 2010 but a 12 gen 3 model ...??

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
same as 2010 but a 12 gen 3 model ...??
Seems to be the same ground clearance, there's definitely places you would be able to go but some you wouldn't.

Can depend on how the lanes are, last time we were there they had just been levelled a bit so ones that were rough were a lot smoother.

What tyres have you?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
CRV will be dead on. Would surprise you how good they are off road too. Just keep away from the rough areas

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Going to get stuck into the Shogun tomorrow and start ticking jobs off!
I made a list on the board in the garage and it's embarrassing all the 'wee' jobs that I need to do :oops:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Going to get stuck into the Shogun tomorrow and start ticking jobs off!
I made a list on the board in the garage and it's embarrassing all the 'wee' jobs that I need to do :oops:
Get that steering box tightened up, mine wasn't bad at all but took a little slack out of it last night and the difference was unreal.

Realised today how much you get used to the play I was correcting when I didn't need to as I used to in that spot before lol

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Get that steering box tightened up, mine wasn't bad at all but took a little slack out of it last night and the difference was unreal.

Realised today how much you get used to the play I was correcting when I didn't need to as I used to in that spot before lol

Yeah I remembered earlier that's one of the jobs I forgot to put on the list ffs! Easy enough though, we'll see if it makes much difference!

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
I'll be taking it stupidly easy as I dont wanna ruin everything so the crv can hang about with me at the back haha