Road Cars & Race Cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cunning

RMS Regular
Morning everyone,

I've actually been a member here for about 8 years although I've been a bit of a ghost for most of those so thought it was time for a new username and to get back amongst it.
Been living in Australia for the past 4 years and earlier this year moved back to Europe. Heres a little run down of my car life since I last checked in.

Bought myself a beautiful Alfa Romeo 147 GTA in Sydney. It had been looked after meticulously by the previous owner in everyway. I cannot talk highly enough of this car, yes it had the usual electrical gremlins
but that's all part of its personality. Drove like a dream with the Q2 diff upgrade and the note for the V6 was amazing. Found myself taking regular trips throgh Sydney Harbour Tunnel:

xgl58z.jpg

V7SXuA.jpg

YVvbwi.jpg

xgl58z.jpg

6Zeegg.jpg

I also raced in The Australian Endurance Karting Championship which took us all over NSW in 6-12hour races, took the glory in our last race which was special:

BuxfVh.jpg

Have since moved back to Europe, great to be closer to home/family as Australia is further away (and more expensive to get to) than the moon! Now living in Belgium, which for a Motorsport obsessive, is a pretty special place!
Managed to get myself a Seat (mind the pun) in the European Seat Endurance Cup. Have been racing in that since March and just completed my first season, some pretty promising results and a rough end to the season. Already looking forward to next year:

Oau5hz.jpg

oCnCGF.jpg

0bIWJ5.jpg

o5i7z7.jpg

t1BnEq.jpg

Last week I picked myself up a toy for weekend trips at home. Will spend most of its life under a cover in a garage and be lucky to see anymore than 3000 miles a year. I take back all the abuse I have given soft tops over the years, an early morning blast around the Coast road with the roof down and VTEC screaming was pretty much enough to convert me (mind the pun) for a life time.

j1nvRX.jpg

3uuK3r.jpg

7rGRjK.jpg

orrufp.jpg

bskQuP.jpg

qBFuwE.jpg

So, just a little update, those of you I know, hello again! Working on a blog about living/racing/car culture in Europe, happy to make it public when its a bit more populated and interesting.

Cheers - Brendan

Last edited:

Jason

RMS Regular
Some pretty cool stuff! I'll ask as im sure most folk will want to know, what you do for a living? lol

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Thats fantastic. I love those alfas, if i was ever to own an alfa it would have to be one of them. Pretty cool story, and the accident in the seat looks bad, I assume you got out unhurt. Look forward to updates

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great read Brendan. Was that you in the armco up there? Ouch!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
nice...... where did you live in Sydney ? i lived in Manly for 4 years... and did countless track days at eastern creek.. and a race at philip island (all bikes) when i was out there.

the S2000 are lovely cars... had one of them pre kids !! lovely machine

Cess

RMS Staff
Welcome @Cunning

Nice car collection, but I want to here more about your racing. Especially that pretty dramatic looking spill!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Welcome back and you have been living the dream it seems so fair do's!

That looks like a nasty wee shunt into the armco, your back out next year in this series you say? what all circuits do you compete on and what sort of grid numbers?

Cunning

RMS Regular
OP
Cunning
@Cooper It was actually my team mate that was in the car at the time, we were going to do a driver change at the end of the lap to I was in pit lane all ready when hell broke loose! It happened at approx 115mph coming into the infamous Schievlak Corner and Circuit Park Zandvoort in The Netherlands, car rolled 5 times and miraculously the driver was ok. Just a bit bumped and bruised. Again, testament to race car safety!

@gixermark Its a small world! I actually lived in Manly for 2 years, Marshall Street and then Darley Road, what a great little spot! Then we opened a business which saw us living 20 mins north of Wollongong in a little village called Wombarra which was right on Lawrence Hargrave Drive, that was my drive home everyday ;-). I drove an old V8 Supercar around Eastern Creek, great circuit, turn 1 would be ballsy on a bike! Was at MotoGP at Phillip Island, epic circuit, its all about Lukey Heights for me!

@Cess Haha I could happily write a book about racing stories to date, im currently putting together a personal blog about everything, a bit of a challenge as Im back dating stuff to. Hopefully be ready soon for anyone who is interested, will chuck it up here (aslong as RMS have no problem with that)

@Graham Thanks mate, its all taken some pretty hard work! Ive raced on Zandvoort, Zolder and Assen. Next season we will be doing a 24 hour at Oschersleben and also hopefully a round at Spa Francorchamps. I will be in the series in 2015, its currently undergoing some changes as they were down on numbers this season. Our last race of the season was a 12 hour at Zandvoort with a 55 car grid across 2 classes, was fairly manic!

A few more pics of the crash: (arm restraint was in place but seems to have failed for some reason. very lucky no arms were damaged or lost!)

6OOu42.jpg

uQOOCA.jpg

vIEOXG.jpg

0F4K5o.jpg

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Lovely collection! Cheers for the message and look forward to meeting you and doing the shoot!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
@Cunning sure is a small world !! we lived on east esplanade !! you probably walked past our place on the way to the ferry when you headed for the CBD.. we lived in Harbour Towers - what a freakin awesome spot that was. wifey worked up at Manly hospital - so prob past close to your place.

eastern creek T1 was indeed ballsy... i came off there once actually... slid along the grass face down (visor/helmet filled up with grass !) then got flicked onto my back to see the bike barrel rolling behind me !! have mostly good memories of eastern creek though. i cam eoff at philip island too !! Honda corner... ran out of talent under brakes !!

down wollongong is nice - through the national park etc... used to be out on the motorbike every wk end exploring all around the place

Reactions: IL

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Love Love Love 147 GTAs. They're a great car with a lovely soundtrack. How do you find Belgium day to day?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
147GTA or 156GTA Sportwagon is on the list to own.
Good man on the racing front, fair play to you for getting out there and doing well. (y)

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Oh that Alfa is lovely. Be good to see the blog. Should be an interesting read.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.