Robot mower required

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Finding myself contemplating these more and more at the minute. I love getting out on the ride on, but it just takes too much time and I'd rather spend that with the kids and have 1 less job. The wire across driveway thing could be a deal breaker though!

Can you lift it and let it do a week in 1 area, and a week in the other?!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Finding myself contemplating these more and more at the minute. I love getting out on the ride on, but it just takes too much time and I'd rather spend that with the kids and have 1 less job. The wire across driveway thing could be a deal breaker though!

Can you lift it and let it do a week in 1 area, and a week in the other?!

You could put a duct across with a mole, or a hydraulic/air breaker used to drive a pipe across without upsetting the driveway.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
You can also buy a second charge station and move it back and forward. The only thing is they work on a principle of being out every day and doing little and often so it would need to be a day or two rather than a week about and would only work doing that on smaller lawns. Or buy a second robot which many do too.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Mine would literally just need to cross across the width of the drive but I don’t really want to dig it up to add the wire.

The mole would be a good option, if it isn’t too deep, how deep can the cable be before it can’t read it? It would be min 6” under concrete plus how close the mole could stay to the bottom of the slab

Could you literally run a saw blade down the expansion joint and put the cables in it?

Plus I could see one of the vans flying in and flattening it as it crossed the drive 😂

Jecks

RMS Regular
Could anyone draw me a ‘perimeter wire’ plan or explain from this ‘sketch’ looks like something one of the kids drew but hopefully get the idea.
4FC8406A-EE46-4AE5-B81D-2D822A471795.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Mine would literally just need to cross across the width of the drive but I don’t really want to dig it up to add the wire.

The mole would be a good option, if it isn’t too deep, how deep can the cable be before it can’t read it? It would be min 6” under concrete plus how close the mole could stay to the bottom of the slab

Could you literally run a saw blade down the expansion joint and put the cables in it?

Plus I could see one of the vans flying in and flattening it as it crossed the drive 😂

The cable is only 3mm or so in thickness, so sinking it into the driveway with a saw cut would suffice I would say.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I have a robot and a separate piece of front grass that it travels across the drive to access. Works perfectly. You can set up in the settings how often you want it to go across. My drive is stoned and not tarmac so it was easy to make the tracks for the cables, requires 3 cables sunk in but they can be covered. I sunk 3 bits of conduit into the drive so it’s easy to change cables if ever needed. Then I tarmaced a little strip to cover the cables as the mower would not cope well with going over loose stones.

Fantastic job and just works away rain or shine. I set mine out a few weeks ago after winter and within 2 days the grass was looking perfectly manicured. Best money ever spent and I was doubtful it world be so good especially with needing to cross the drive but it just works away.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I've wondered how they work in the wet! Did they not clog up? I know its still only cutting a small amount but does it not clog up and leave wee clumps?

davyk31

RMS Regular
No they just cut away cleanly in the wet. They can leave some tracks if the ground is very soft but nothing to worry about.

Jecks

RMS Regular
Plenty of choice out there. I went for stihl a couple of years ago, no problems thus far , it was to cover 3000sqm roughly.
Husqvarna you probably can't go wrong with.
There is worx, think Honda do one etc etc. best read a few reviews and get a decent warranty.
Definitely improved the condition of our lawn massively using one , been a good buy for us.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Plenty of choice out there. I went for stihl a couple of years ago, no problems thus far , it was to cover 3000sqm roughly.
Husqvarna you probably can't go wrong with.
There is worx, think Honda do one etc etc. best read a few reviews and get a decent warranty.
Definitely improved the condition of our lawn massively using one , been a good buy for us.

Avoid the Hondas... they're a rebodied Bosch and pretty crap. Husqvarna - well, they've been at the robot mower game for over 20 years and the parts/service supply is why I chose that brand. Every nut and bolt is available to order. Colleague of mine in work has a Worx Landroid and no issues. Not sure what after sales/service is like mind you.