Rolling Road day?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
It seems like a long time since I last seen one of these advertised. Usually a bit of fun and a chance to catch up with folk and see (and hear) some nice machinery. Would there be any interest in such an event in the autumn? Where would be a good venue?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
The 4wd dyno dynamix around Armagh direction (or was when I rented it quite a lot of years ago) would be a good shout, if you can find out where it’s setup now.
fair few 2wd ones about but with quite a lot of tuned 4wd cars about, it’s probably a better shout

Shoot out mode on dyno dynamix RR is usually fairly accepted to be comparable to other dynos too.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Last one was in GSport which was a great location. Don’t even know if he’s still going or not though

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Pretty sure someone on here that tunes or owns a very fast old school vw beetle uses the 4wd dyno dynamix setup I mentioned, for tuning. So shouldn’t be hard found.

I’ll bring the WRC edition 4wd Astra if we can be sure and keep it on the rollers. Lol.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d be up for that in the scoob, see if it’s making any more power after the remap

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Last one was in GSport which was a great location. Don’t even know if he’s still going or not though
He’s still going yes, mapped my car few months back.

Only 2wd tho, but he’s currently working on building a 4wd hub dyno

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man

Didn’t realise it was 2wd only, was just texting him there.

MarkM

RMS Regular

Glad to hear it, Gavin seemed a good guy. I did hear he was tinkering with a hub dyno, that was some time ago though

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’d be up for this too wouldn’t mind seeing how much power the mighty tdi is making after it’s remap.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I'd be keen as long as they can take Quattro, don't want to have to unplug the haldex

I think Autotune can now take Quattro/4motion etc... whereas before I had to go on the 2WD drive roller and unplug

Last edited:

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I’m up for it as well. Would be interested to see what the car is putting out

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I'd be keen as long as they can take Quattro, don't want to have to unplug the haldex

I think Autotune can now take Quattro/4motion etc... whereas before I had to go on the 2WD drive roller and unplug
Yeah that was a weird day, where was that ? Were your numbers still OK or was it pointless?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah that was a weird day, where was that ? Were your numbers still OK or was it pointless?

Was at Autotune in Ballymena - they have a 4wd but (bear with me), its not "linked" or something like that so any VAG car that goes on it, because (I think) they start off in FWD, the rear rollers don't turn and as a result, the car shiits itself and goes into limp mode thinking the haldex is goosed or something

I got 482bhp through the front wheels which is at the lower end of Revo's quoted figures for Stage 3. Still quick AF :joy:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Was at Autotune in Ballymena - they have a 4wd but (bear with me), its not "linked" or something like that so any VAG car that goes on it, because (I think) they start off in FWD, the rear rollers don't turn and as a result, the car shiits itself and goes into limp mode thinking the haldex is goosed or something

I got 482bhp through the front wheels which is at the lower end of Revo's quoted figures for Stage 3. Still quick AF :joy:
Sure I was there. That was only one of the strange things that I seen that day.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Sure I was there. That was only one of the strange things that I seen that day.

Seen them attempt to strap down one of my skylines with just a ratchet strap on the rear towing eye.
Clever stuff indeed.

Picking a dyno also means knowing how to use it. And ensuring it has proper load applied, strapped down, cooling etc. especially on turbo cars to really dig in on its pull. I’ve seen some complete it’s 4 gear pull in 3 seconds and the operator think that’s realistic to actual driving conditions.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Seen them attempt to strap down one of my skylines with just a ratchet strap on the rear towing eye.
Clever stuff indeed.

Picking a dyno also means knowing how to use it. And ensuring it has proper load applied, strapped down, cooling etc. especially on turbo cars to really dig in on its pull. I’ve seen some complete it’s 4 gear pull in 3 seconds and the operator think that’s realistic to actual driving conditions.
Yeah I'm saying no more but sounds like the same as what you seen.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I had a dyno check done on one of my cars locally a good few years back, was told to stay in a waiting room while it was done but couldn't hear a cooling fan at all. Door to the workshop was locked and I was handed back a car running on 3 cylinders intermittently which lost it's head gasket by the time I was home. They did 4 pulls in quick succession with no cooling but apparently it was my fault and not theirs. I used to run an engine dyno cell for a local racer and we ran a few cars on his rolling road too (all private) but I apparently knew feck all according to these chaps. (Not autotune btw)
I don't think that sort of thing is isolated to NI either, had similar experiences in the mainland.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Clever stuff indeed.

I took my MX5 to them and not a single ratchet strap was used, just two chocks on the front wheels.

Rooneyrocket

RMS Regular
Drives
CRV
I had a dyno check done on one of my cars locally a good few years back, was told to stay in a waiting room while it was done but couldn't hear a cooling fan at all. Door to the workshop was locked and I was handed back a car running on 3 cylinders intermittently which lost it's head gasket by the time I was home. They did 4 pulls in quick succession with no cooling but apparently it was my fault and not theirs. I used to run an engine dyno cell for a local racer and we ran a few cars on his rolling road too (all private) but I apparently knew feck all according to these chaps. (Not autotune btw)
I don't think that sort of thing is isolated to NI either, had similar experiences in the mainland.
Place in Lisburn by any chance